TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Assembly Details / Exploded Views
Read 3254 times
* April 12, 2013, 02:21:55 PM
I've created some metal cabinet designs and would like to show them in exploded views for assembly.  I have seen older threads on this topic and would like to ask new questions for creating them in TC20. 

Would anyone kindly share how they've accomplished this using TC?
I'm thinking of creating seperate designs for each part.  Would it be efficient to bring the XREF designs into a blank model and assemble them with spacing as desired?  Is it possible to use constraints to assemble parts?  That would be cool if you can assign a variable to all constraints that connect parts together and give it a value of seperation which would explode the assembly based on the value assigned to the variable. 

For example:I've tried to place a block onto a plate and put a constraint dimension between the surface of the block and the plate but couldn't get the dimension to take a value and lift the block off of the plate.

Any thoughts?

April 12, 2013, 04:51:17 PM
Hi,

Don cheke from textual creations has a tutorial finger press i think that has exploded parts diag. I have just inputted a standard x and y value or dragged and dropped but i like your idea of constraints but there difficult imho.

Brett

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* April 12, 2013, 10:41:33 PM
TC's best answer to assembly/disassembly is the transform tools.  Draw a box with edge lengths of the displacement you want, and use the edges as x, y and z tranformation vectors.    Select the components you want to separate, invoke edit|transform|move, check the repeat button.  Use one end of the edge for 'from', the other end 'to'.  Deselect the component that your dropping at that station, then repeat the displacement with the remaining selection, and so on. Constraints can't be applied to parts, only 2D drawing elements.    If you're likely to edit the parts, xrefs might be more efficient to update a family of assemblies, but if the parts aren't edited and there's a manageable number of them, you might consider setting up a template that has your parts as blocks, or import each part's TC file as you need it.  They don't automate  assembly/disassembly, there's no efficiency advantage or disadvantage for that.

* April 12, 2013, 11:36:23 PM
You can also use the parametric part editor.
Define each part you want to move as a parametric symbol
Using format parametric part,  select the items. Hit the finish flag give it a name and finish at the bottom of the dialogue box.
Once you have defined all the parts to be moved use Insert parametric symbol to bring in all the parts.
Assemble the model.
Use format parametric part again select the assembled model hit the finish flag
In the custom parameters list hover over name and right click. Insert parameter. Give it a name (no spaces).
I used "explode_distance" Give it a default value and under type select linear
Give your part a name (I used "test") and finish at the bottom of the dialogue box.
Now insert parametric symbol. In the selection info palette click the plus sign next to the name of your model
You will see a list of your defined parts. Select one next to symbol parameters you will see a grey box click that to bring up a dialogue box. If you want the part to move in the "x" plane type this next to the x parameter
current("x")+test!explode_distance

current("x") -where it is now
+ direction negative or positive
test! name of the model part where you defined the parameter.
explode distance - distance you want it to move

repeat for each part

to move the parts back to the original position you can change the explode distance to 0

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 13, 2013, 02:06:28 AM
Another method that works most of the time is:
Select the entire assembly.
Increase the scale by something suitable, 3 or 4, say.
Select each component in turn and restore it to its original size by reducing the scale.
Result - an exploded view.

I've noticed that some components (a threaded rod, for example) don't scale properly, so they have to be treated as special cases.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* April 14, 2013, 05:10:51 AM
Thank you all for some great insight and the time you took to post this valuable information to me!

Nikki,  I opened your example and liked the method using parametric parts.  I think what I'm going to do is assemble the cabinet, and use a variable to separate the parts and then export views to a pdf view and edit them with publisher.   

Of course, I may be back asking more questions if it is not as simple as it looks!!!

Thank you everyone once again.
Eddie.