TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Any one remember TC9.5a? Install trouble new Win7 box; old Win7 box ok.
Read 2832 times
* May 01, 2013, 11:02:10 AM
Have this loaded successfully on an older HP Win7 box.  Now want to move it to a new Asus mb.  Seems to install ok, but when I try to run it, all I get is the tips - TC itself is hung & never seems to run.  Looks like it's waiting on something, but have no idea what.  Weird.

* May 01, 2013, 01:45:31 PM
One thing you could try - is set the compatibility mode as XP, on the desktop (assuming there is a shortcut icon), right click the icon choose properties, under compatibility tick the box and set the desired mode.

I've not tried it but may work with v9 but done it with some other programs that wouldn't work.

Andy

* May 01, 2013, 04:14:07 PM
Keep in mind 9.5 is made for Xp.It will work on W7 Pro,Ultimate.If you can I wouldn't bother Virtual Box if that what you mean by  HP Win7 box. Just load like any other program.Or up grade to Tc 20 Platinum,If all fails there always a Xp machine :-\

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* May 02, 2013, 05:27:38 AM
Thanks for the thoughts.  I've tried XP compatiblity, but doesn't make a difference.  I'm not doing any virtual stuff; these are 2 physical computers.

It's just so weird that I have no problems starting TC9.5a installed on the HP Win7 computer.  I'm trying to move all my "stuff" to a new Asus mb computer and that's where I'm having the freeze problem.  I really suspect that TC is looking for something on the Asus that's just not there or too different from what's on the HP.  Maybe video related since that is quite different between the 2 machines, but don't know.

* May 02, 2013, 10:08:30 AM
Have you tried "Run as Administrator"? Right-click on the desktop icon and select it from the Context Menu. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* May 02, 2013, 10:38:48 AM
Only thing at this moment that comes to mind what it could be looking for its trying to ping the mother ship or another thing it looking for the dialog for the serial number installation,you may have to load update again.How are you moving the program? The prefer proceed would be to use the CD.Try uninstall it and do a clean install.

Clean Install Info>>>  http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,9797.0.html

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* May 02, 2013, 07:08:30 PM
Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but the only way I could get my V15 to work on Win 7 installation was to change the Data Execution Prevention settings.  In my case, it was crashing, not hanging, but it may be worth trying.  The steps  I used were:

* Go to Control Panel
* Choose System
* Choose Advanced System Settings
* Click the Advanced tab
* In the Performance section, click on the Settings button
* In the Performance Options dialog that opens, choose the Data Execution Prevention tab
* Have the 'Turn On DEP for programs and services except those I select' button selected
* In the list below click on add, navigate to the TC15 program folder and add both TCStart.exe and Tcw9.exe to the list
* Click Apply and then OK out and close the dialogs

Dennis

* May 03, 2013, 07:06:07 AM
John R: Have tried running as Admin - no diff.

wd: Don't think it's trying to ping.  Reinstalled HP w/o web & it works.  On Asus, seems to go through registraton dialog ok; just hangs afterward & on subsequent restarts.  This was a fresh install of Win7 and a fresh install of TC from cd; repeated mulitple times.  Will try the uninstall/reinstall scenerio.

millerdlca: Now that's one I haven't heard of before.  Will have to research what this is & how it would affect my other installs.  But if it works, it'd sure be a giant step forward...

The new Asus is not hooked up at the moment, but I'll sure try your suggestions in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Diane