TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Centering dimensions for parallel and show in hidden line mode
Read 2903 times
* May 07, 2013, 10:20:50 AM
For a parallel dimension, how does one force the dimensions to the center of the dimension line?  I just dropped a parallel and the value appears on the end of the dim line near the arrow...

Also when I switch from wireframe to hidden line mode dimension dis appears in model space, how do i get it to show?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:28:14 AM by nadsab »

* May 07, 2013, 10:34:51 AM
I dont think you do. Unless you explode the dimension until its lines then give it a 3d height.
The better way would be to dimension in paperspace.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 07, 2013, 10:37:14 AM
OK thanks much.

* May 07, 2013, 10:41:23 AM
Centred dimension - go into the dimension properties and choose format - alter the horizontal and vertical position to suit, if you right click the dimension icon this will set your desired info for new text added to the drawing.

Hidden Line - right click the hidden line icon, and tick non-renderable objects, note this will show all 2D stuff so you may need to turn some layers of / off to get just the stuff you want to see on screen.

Andy

* May 07, 2013, 10:48:11 AM
Are U talking about the dimension icon in the lower left hand corner of the format dialogue box? When I right click that, nothing comes up except a "what's this" message...

And is this in model or paperspace?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:53:15 AM by nadsab »

* May 07, 2013, 10:56:01 AM
I agree with Andy about Text Position options & HL. If using Perspective with Hidden Line, you'll want to change the dimension Text to Flexible in the Selection Info palette.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 07, 2013, 11:12:40 AM
Are U talking about the dimension icon in the lower left hand corner of the format dialogue box? When I right click that, nothing comes up except a "what's this" message...

And is this in model or paperspace?

sorry I should have been more clear - no I mean the icon you normally click when you wish to add a dimension, if you click a dimension and change its properties then it just affects that one dimension, but changing it before you add a new dimension will allow the change to affect future dimensions, - note if you have any already inserted them, you will need to select them all and then change the properties.

model / paperspace - both

Thanks John for the tip about perspective - I didn't know that, as I have never needed to dimension with perspective on.

* May 07, 2013, 11:23:39 AM
OK thanks that worked.

How would I cause the extension lines coming off of the drawing to be dashed instead of solid - while keeping the dimension line solid?

Is the only way to do it - explode?

Also is it possible to have differently lengthed extension lines?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:39:27 AM by nadsab »

* May 07, 2013, 11:40:06 AM
if you go into properties and choose advanced format you can change how the extension lines behave (change the line type), you can set the separately that the dimension line, - important note - the only deluxe version I have is v16 so I hope everything is the same in v19 deluxe - sorry if its not.

Andy

May 07, 2013, 05:51:10 PM
if you go into properties and choose advanced format you can change how the extension lines behave (change the line type), you can set the separately that the dimension line, - important note - the only deluxe version I have is v16 so I hope everything is the same in v19 deluxe - sorry if its not.

Andy

It's the same in my version 19.2 Deluxe, build 54.2.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)