TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

major issue open a file immediately crashes TC
Read 3896 times
February 12, 2013, 03:48:26 AM
Hi Guys,

I think someone else had this problem in the past but I can't find it on forum.

I have a file that I have been working on for weeks contains multiple x-refs in model space and about 8 paper spaces.

Whilst I had the main drawing open I saved a portion of it - a loft I had just created into a seperate file (a polyline loft) so i could play arond with smesh and try duplicate the shape, the file got to big or hung so I escaped out of TC.

Now when ever I attempt to open the main dwg file and another file that has the same xrefs in it (also the junk file I was smeshing in that just conatins the loft and no smesh as it bombed before I saved it) tc immediately cashes.

I tried re-booting - clearing out built ins 19 x 64 and 32 bit,

I tried bring back the autosave however it crashes as well - I also tried bring back the previous days file (I backup every day) but it now crashes.

Any ideas - as this is a major blow.

thanks
Brett

just went back to a backup a few days ago and that won't open - that file has been open and closed multiple times right up until the crash.

The only other thing I will try is a re-install then I'm done for ideas
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:55:55 AM by exdraftee »

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* February 12, 2013, 04:12:51 AM
Will any other files open okay? If not... then reinstall TC.

If other files open okay... the try opening the individual files that you have Xrefed into the drawing that is crashing, and see if they have any problems. It could be that one of those files is bad, and causing the problem with your assembly drawing. This would be where I would start... since the file from yesterday is crashing as well.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

February 12, 2013, 04:54:35 AM
Hi greg,

I managed to open the main dwg file up on another computer with drop box however all but a few xrefs lost there pathways, narrowed it down to one file however very frustrating as the individual xref was fine then just suddenly started playing up with no further work done on it.

Thanks
Brett

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

February 12, 2013, 12:20:34 PM
Hi,

I managed to locate a possible x-ref culprit and re-save the old file -  howevr the main file still crashes when I try and open it.

Will this file read the now updated x-ref or will it need to be opened to reload everything - if this is so I'm stuffed?

Another quest hat is the difference between TC not working an a crash hwere a file is generated and you can re-open it.

thks
Brett

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* February 12, 2013, 12:34:45 PM
You need to reload the changed file.

Have you tried doing an extract from to a new drawing?

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

February 12, 2013, 01:02:56 PM
How do you do an extract?

I'm currently wading through the asv and bak files so I can try and save the pape spaces. As I managed to open the file on another computer although all xrefs had imploded somewhere the DP views were all still there in PS (save some time as I only need relaod xrefs.

thanks
Brett

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* February 12, 2013, 01:05:40 PM
1. Start a new drawing

2. File menu... Extract From.

Worth a try.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

February 12, 2013, 01:49:19 PM
Thks Greg

1 last query if I do a re-install will it delete the autosave and backup folder.

cheers
Brett

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* February 12, 2013, 01:55:17 PM
Back them up just in case.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

February 12, 2013, 02:05:04 PM
I had this crashing with Xref's. I put it down to dismissing the material changes and clicking "don't show this again" on file load.

I wold go through all the Xrefs and open them and save...this sorted out my problem...

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

February 12, 2013, 03:45:02 PM
 ;D just got it back - thank &^%$

The problem I believe was caused by a file that was x-refed into the drawing that was quite large and complex I had trouble filleting an area that crashed TC a few times (did the TC stop working and not the generate CRS file one) I was suspect but managed too fillet and saved - it seemed fine. I opened the main file this was x-refed into several times no problems and suddenly encountered a problem whilst doing what I described at the top. (filleting causes me most issues). Even while problem shootig it would not open old files of the same name even though they worked fine previous.

The fix:

The extract file worked and I could recover most of the stuff so it wasn't a redraw - thks Greg.

I was looking at a re-install however re-read problems on forum, I ran TC as ADMINISTRATOR - this allowed me to open the initial problem file and delete the x-ref which had disappeared and reload a previous version from autosave, hence no need for the extract file as dwg now back to initial state.

thanks
Greg and carl for input

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

February 12, 2013, 08:02:55 PM
update incase this happens to other users.

Still developed problems:

Eventually solved it by exploding problem file back to acis solid - I noted original file was getting slower and slower to open. This particular x-ref was very complex with heaps of 3d filleting plus I had really got down and dirty with the part tree changing things continously way back in the history as my client changes  his mind (part tree worked well).

I kept a copy of file (x ref part tree intact for future changes) and then loaded acis solid into main assembly).

Heading fo a corona

cheers
Brett

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* February 13, 2013, 03:27:15 AM