TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Registration CLOSED
Read 11103 times
January 16, 2013, 09:52:27 AM
Registration for the forums is currently closed.  If you are a legitimate TurboCAD user please send an email to support@imsidesign.com and we may be able to make an exception and get you registered.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:31:00 PM by turbotech »

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

January 16, 2013, 09:56:32 AM
Good one Rip.
It is so much better not seeing the spammers garbled names at the bottom of the home page, with them trying to post....  :)

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

January 17, 2013, 03:22:03 PM
I must have missed  the spamming.
I gotta say that if it were not for this forum and the help I got while trying out TC that I would not  - ever - have made the purchase.

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

January 25, 2013, 10:10:52 PM
At a Gaming Forum I help moderate, we were getting overun by bots.
On a hunch, I went into the Admin Panel and changed the user's password requirements.
Now, at registration, all new users are required to use numbers, letters, and at least one symbol in their password.
It has completely shut out the spambots! For the last six months (knock on wood).
Don't know why, or if it would work here, but it might be worth a try.

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 19.2 Pro Platinum 64 bit
v 14.2 Pro
Turbo Floor Plan Pro v 15
Windows 10 x 64 Home

January 28, 2013, 02:55:35 PM
At a Gaming Forum I help moderate, we were getting overun by bots.
On a hunch, I went into the Admin Panel and changed the user's password requirements.
Now, at registration, all new users are required to use numbers, letters, and at least one symbol in their password.
It has completely shut out the spambots! For the last six months (knock on wood).
Don't know why, or if it would work here, but it might be worth a try.

We had that enabled, not sure if there where just hundreds of people signing up for multiple accounts or if they had some automated way of getting past .  Specifically what was going on was that there where new users created that had links in their signatures.  Those links would supposedly help the visibility of those websites.  Thought they would not post this would still slow down the forum. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* January 28, 2013, 03:05:26 PM
They've moved over to the TC LTE forum for now.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 28, 2013, 03:24:18 PM
I agree with Rip's decision to close registration. Now everything is copesetic.Maybe the other IMSI forums could follow the lead.. Now spammers can spam elsewhere 8)

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

January 30, 2013, 12:21:37 PM

TurboCad V12~V201x Platinum Pro Edition + CAM Plug-In +  Surface Modeling + Survey Coordinates RedSDK
Production: W10 Pro V 1903 16GB NVIDIA Quadro

January 30, 2013, 06:29:44 PM
Why Simple Machines Forums? I found one of my web sites phpBB database with over a GB of crap so I added two 'MODS' then deleted that BOT accounts now life is good. In doing this I looked into SMF and phpBB spam/bot issues, phpBB has two pages of security MOD add-ins, SMF 4 mods. The MOD I applied not only checked during registration for a spam/bot the MOD also detected spam/bot throw-away email and posted the spam/bot IP to the RBL list. The MOD allowed the admin to flag an account as a spam/bot and the MOD would post the IP to the RBL list. Yes, phpBB is more complex to install and configure but if you have to shut your forum down to keep up with spammers it might be worth your time to learn phpBB. I really don't like the SMF search function, if I'm looking for all the posts by author I should not be forced to enter TWO words in the keyword field....  :-[
My post from 2007 at phpBB:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=560217&p=3073941#p3073941
been fighting this crap for awhile.

TurboCad V12~V201x Platinum Pro Edition + CAM Plug-In +  Surface Modeling + Survey Coordinates RedSDK

January 31, 2013, 08:54:00 AM
Registration is now open. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* January 31, 2013, 09:35:38 AM
Registration is now open.
Was there contingency plan implicated to prevent recurring spammers materializing again?Hope so

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

January 31, 2013, 12:36:38 PM
Apparently not good enough.  Registration will remain closed until further notice.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:39:07 PM by turbotech »

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

February 08, 2013, 09:32:43 AM

Your right John. I cannot remember how many I have reported in the past year. Some look to be the same person with multiple user names. Glad to see the back of them!

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

February 15, 2013, 07:43:30 AM
Why not make it substantially more difficult to cheat a registration.

Say for example rather than ask people to input characters ask them to solve a Young's modulus problem. or answer a question about engineering standards.
If they get the answer, they couldn't possibly be a  spammer or marketing geek.

February 15, 2013, 10:26:18 AM
And two weeks later 0, zero, none, zip spammers. I had bounce emails hitting my post office until I trained SpamAssassin do deal with them. Q&A during the registration along with email verification and RBL list check seems to have fixed the issue for now, I have a second set of question that I'll switch out every 30 days or so. My first attempt ended with a nuked site and reinstall on 2/6/13.

* February 16, 2013, 12:05:19 AM
Cliff some of us arent engineers and we dont all live in the same country so standards arent going to be the same even though we arent spammers.
Couldnt you issue a user name and password to all new users when they register their product?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

February 16, 2013, 08:12:58 AM
Cliff some of us arent engineers and we dont all live in the same country

Quite so.  However  I think the concept  is good.
Say for  example instead of the modulus of elasticity one was simply asked to solve for a complex equation, the site  could have a slew of such equations that pop up randomly.
No  marketing geek is going to whip out his HP programmable calculator and go through the exercise because the cost/benefit ratio for him, disfavors the bother.

But it matters  not who you are or what your proficiencies may be, if you have to solve an equation, you can, one way or another.

February 16, 2013, 08:25:44 AM
Simply post a TC file, that needs to be opened in order to answer a registration question.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* February 16, 2013, 09:06:18 AM
But don't you guys think whats in place now is for the better and working very effectively?The result is no spammers because there is no gateway only by one that will allow the new member by authorization can enter into the forum.If give a spammer maker inch he'll exploit to his advantage.Than we'll be back at square one again with complaining about spammers,bots,etc.I do know about you I kinda like the way it is.

February 16, 2013, 10:51:34 AM
No, having to verify I'm human before each post kind of sucks, not being able to search the forum by author kind of sucks, having a registration schema that has been broken by spammers really sucks. The Graphic image / Question routine has been punked by the spammers quite a while ago, the Captcha stuff doesn't work anymore either.
The Q&A system seems to stop spammers, my DA2A site is about building airplanes so the question:What control surface makes the plane pitch? stops the spammers, the double registration email system and RBL look up stops others.
For Turbocad the question should be about drawing, purchasing or using TC. I thought about using SEKE/DEKE/TEKE as in; C causes you to snap to the center of a? G causes you to snap to? Ctrl+L selects what? But then again I didn't know about SEKE/DEKE/TEKE until I took the time to run some tutorials two years after I purchased TC 12.
 (only took three images before I could figure it out this time!)

* February 16, 2013, 11:53:34 AM
RE: "No, having to verify I'm human before each post kind of sucks, not being able to search the forum by author kind of sucks, having a registration schema that has been broken by spammers really sucks. The Graphic image / Question routine has been punked by the spammers quite a while ago, the Captcha stuff doesn't work anymore either."

As you post more threads or postings it will come to point you won't have to go through routine,What in place is doing the job and of course you realize that base on the fact its working,and the IMSI team oversee the forum and have full control and the decisions on how its manage if not it turn into junk yard for every sabotager out there cyberspace.

February 17, 2013, 02:29:17 AM
What the F**** is going on here!! It was bad enough not having a user handbook with this software, now there is no help onsite, this really is the last straw >:(! What with being confronted with all the BUGS in this software >:( I think now is the time for me to go back to the all faithful AUTOCAD!

* February 17, 2013, 03:09:03 AM
What the F**** is going on here!! It was bad enough not having a user handbook with this software, now there is no help onsite, this really is the last straw >:( ! What with being confronted with all the BUGS in this software >:( I think now is the time for me to go back to the all faithful AUTOCAD!

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,10979.0.html

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* February 17, 2013, 03:29:45 AM
What the F**** is going on here!! It was bad enough not having a user handbook with this software, now there is no help onsite, this really is the last straw >:(! What with being confronted with all the BUGS in this software >:( I think now is the time for me to go back to the all faithful AUTOCAD!
this link can do something for you

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/Training/2D3DTrainingGuideBundleforTurboCAD/tabid/1193/Default.aspx

How ever if you need manual that bad you can order one from this link

http://store.turbocad.com/cart.html?REF=745204

By the way when I bought my version Autocad it came with no manual either  :P

February 17, 2013, 04:35:25 AM
Howard

If you look at Rip's initial post it says to email him to get a registration. The reason it has been closed is that this forum was being attacked by spammers.

With regards to help, many software packages are not supplying a handbook anymore because of the cost and also for environmental reasons. I never want the handbooks for software for this very reason. They are also soon "out-of-date". The help/handbook is just a click away in the menu! One advantage of the electronic version is it is so easy to use keywords to find info on what you are looking for.

The frustrations are understandable that's why this forum exists. These can be because the workflow is different to other packages you may have already go used to using. One thing that is often mentioned is the quality of this forum over Autocad's own. Many TC users are exAC users and have moved from AC because of it's cost. TC also is better for 3D, rendering and some drawing tools too.

All software has bugs. In an ideal world all computers would be identical so hardware and OS differences don't add to the bug list.
Sometimes what you think is a bug is often down to the user not understanding how to do something in turboCAD. Rendering for instance, it is very easy to crash TC if you don't let the program finish what it is doing before trying to change something. Similarly, if modeling and doing a lot of solid transforms and not waiting for TC to finish before moving on then again it can crash.

Updates to fix bugs are welcome and as I remember the auto update has a link to what the fixes are before you click "Update"...I think this info is also downloaded as a text file.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:09:06 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

February 17, 2013, 07:44:50 AM
As you post more threads or postings it will come to point you won't have to go through routine
After being a registered user since Version 12 (2006) I kind of expect a little more. I was a forum member in 2006 then lost my login password in 2009 and started my current account, the mail address I used in 2006 was gone, there was no fix for that.

howard m;
The training thing has been a pain, about the time they come out with training for the current version they bring out a new version! I have my books from version 12~14, they are in my 'library' room, the online help works fine if you can find what your looking for, if not this forum works.

Five tries at posting this time around!

* February 17, 2013, 08:30:07 AM
Five tries at posting this time around!
I speculate around 20 they'll let you in

After being a registered user since Version 12 (2006) I kind of expect a little more. I was a forum member in 2006 then lost my login password in 2009 and started my current account, the mail address I used in 2006 was gone, there was no fix for that.
Nope no fix.The other choice is  to save username and password in secure place so you don't lose it.I promise the pain will go way.Take aspirin.

February 19, 2013, 07:38:03 AM
But don't you guys think whats in place now is for the better and working very effectively?The result is no spammers because there is no gateway only by one that will allow the new member by authorization can enter into the forum.If give a spammer maker inch he'll exploit to his advantage.Than we'll be back at square one again with complaining about spammers,bots,etc.I do know about you I kinda like the way it is.

Well that's a question of perspective I should think. 
Take me for example. I was really looking for a good source for fake generic and Xanax and then there was that really great Ginzu steak knife offer that I missed out on, and the whopper chopper. I need to replace mine.

Kidding aside, my suggestions are aimed at solving for the obvious bother and cost of having to task a person to approve of each prospective member.

I don't know  what options that simple machines  hosting  offers for this.

February 22, 2013, 04:34:50 PM
Nope no fix.The other choice is  to save username and password in secure place so you don't lose it.I promise the pain will go way.Take aspirin.

They were in a secure place and then my RAID 5 system died; Over the years I've gone from punch cards to flying head platters to reel to reel tape and cassette tape drives then optical drives starting with 12" media to Blu-Ray burners then a terabyte raid 5 setup and now I'm using a SSD drive for backup. But of course we all know the reason they call it a backup is because they don't tell you that it might not restore!

20 posts, only 6 more..... xcyc?x   

February 22, 2013, 05:06:19 PM
My most secure password is my phone number from when I was a kid. At the risk of giving away my age, I'll say that it had letters in it. The capitals were what you dialed. And there's a dash. For example the name of the movie BUtterfield8-****. (That's not mine btw.) The number hasn't been a active phone number for anyone I know for 20 years and hasn't had letters for 50.  If you take a number in block characters like a credit card number and turn it upside down, it reads like a combination of numbers and upper and lower case letters. Use a number you can remember. I have one other secret but I'm not telling.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* February 23, 2013, 04:37:19 AM

................and now I'm using a SSD drive for backup. But of course we all know the reason they call it a backup is because they don't tell you that it might not restore!

SSD's are fast but are not reliable enough for backup as they require continuous power and are prone to degradation which is why you should not defrag them - they wear out. As a compromise, I use a hybrid SSD/SATA HDD drive that gives the best of both worlds. Speed of the SSD and the reliability of a HDD.

Windows 8 64 bit
TurboCAD 19.2 build 54.2
HP Pavillion g6
AMD Quad core graphics

March 04, 2013, 06:14:06 AM
Where do you get this info from?

How can they wear out?...no moving parts? - I have read about how read and writing to the same location becomes a problem...

Take a look at this - http://blog.eio.com/2012/05/18/solid-state-drives-vs-hard-drives-pros-and-cons/

No mention of anything to do with degradation , in fact the opposite :o After some research as you mentioned flash memory does loose the ability to write to the same location.

All my machines have SSD's....I would not want to go back to spinners for the OS and program files...

Defragging is unnecessary and gains nothing anyway for SSDs

No storage drives last a life time, its down to what you want really.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:38:44 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

* March 05, 2013, 04:32:42 PM
SSDs have their own set of limitations. Even the most recent versions have limited read-write cycles. I have several SSD drives in use, but none are used for critical data or system programs.

Just Google "solid state drives life expectancy" and you'll get dozens of answers.

For starters, here's one:

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Larry

TurboCad user since PS v1.2
v24.0.26.3 Pro Plat x64
WIN10 x64 w/16G Mem. nVidia GTX1080(s)

April 16, 2013, 01:32:09 PM
Registration is now open.  Hopefully we have found a permanent and effective solution.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC