TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

orginizing the pop up tool bar
Read 3515 times
April 11, 2013, 11:47:31 AM
Is there a way to re-arrange where the tools  are located on the fly out or pop up tool bar?

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

* April 11, 2013, 12:17:57 PM
What TC has done is to put a number behind the Popup items.  That is one way to do it.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

April 11, 2013, 03:59:38 PM
a number behind the Popup items.

I can't begin to imagine what that refers to.
A number behind them?  Behind?
I'm lost here.

* April 11, 2013, 04:21:22 PM
When the "Tools / Customize" dialog is open (this puts you into an edit mode for the tools), you can go to the flyout and rearrange the tools.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* April 11, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
Sorry for not being more clear.  Go to menu item Options, then Toolbars and Menus.  This brings up the Customize dialog box where you can edit the toolbars and menus as John mentioned.

Click the Pop-Up Toolbar tab and you will see a group of toolbars named PopUp-1, PopUp-2, and PopUp-3.  You put a check in the box to the left of the toolbar you want to display.  Notice that the list of toolbars is sorted in alphabetical and numeric order.  This is also the order that they will display on the Pop-Up display.

Leading numbers will sort to the top of the list and display first on the PopUp display.  When letters are used the letters will be sorted as the program encounters them until a number is found.

What TC has done is to name the toobars they put on the Pop-Up as mentioned above by appending a number after the name to control the location the toolbar is displayed.  That method obviously works, the problem I have with it is that it not very discriptive of what the toolbar consists of for customized toolbars.

You could add a little text after the number if you wanted in order to better describe the toolbars function.  The point is that you can order the toolbars any way that you want so long as your toolbar names work with how TC sorts it's list of toolbars.

I have found this to be a bit of a frustrating process.  Things haven't always worked the way I expected them to, and you need to keep the number of icons consistent or the toolbars will wrap to the next line.  Not what you want.  Very nice feature though once you have it working the way you want it to.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:21:43 PM by Rod Cole »

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

April 11, 2013, 07:10:05 PM
Ok Lets see if I got this right

In Toolbars / Customize, I use the Rename Function to change the order the various toolbars. Say for example I  select the first on the list and put a Z and then a whitespace in front of it. Then I close it and then also close the program ( it seems I have to close the program to get it to take in the popup menu) And when I open the program TC has re-ordered things and  the item I renamed with the Z is now on the bottom of my popup menu.

Yep that works

Thank you. 
You are right it is not as elegant as drag and drop would have been, but it is a solution.

April 15, 2013, 07:26:01 AM
It took forever renaming to reorganize .

I laid out the pattern I wanted  by placing the toolbars on the  screen in the location I wanted them to appear in my pop up tool bar menu.

Then I used numerals,   placing a numeral and a dash in front of each  toolbar name as so "1-", but that was a mistake because the system doesn't understand double digit numerals like 10 and 11 it sees the individual numerals and places the 10 first  because it's a One followed by a Zero.

So I re-did it all using  Letters A - Z and that worked.
 I dunno 'bout later versions but in 16 I have to close the whole program for any ordering to take effect.

Some toolbars I could not rename such as Measurement and Menu

Then I created fresh back ups of  TWC16_xml.ini and desktop18.ist  for when TC goes KerFlooey, which it does from time to time.   And I'm off to the races.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:30:47 AM by Cliff »

* April 15, 2013, 11:31:53 AM
Instead of 1-, 2-, 3-, you could have used 01-, 02-, 03-. Then 10-, 11-, etc. would've fallen into place.

re: …Some toolbars I could not rename such as Measurement and Menu.
The "Menu" toolbar is a permanent fixture. All the toolbars can go, but "Menu" is always there; kinda like Layer_0.
The only way to edit or fix the "Measurement" toolbar in V16 is in the "TurboCAD V11" UI (Tools / UI Themes). Save that configuration, then go back to the "TurboCAD V16" UI and load that, then set up your Workspace. Since it's a minor glitch, it's probably best to leave it alone.

You should also create a custom Workspace on the "Tools / Customize—›Options" page. Overwrite a name in the "Save In" list, then click on the "Save In" button. When needed, select the custom name from "Load From" list and click on the "Load From" button.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 15, 2013, 03:22:11 PM
Instead of 1-, 2-, 3-, you could have used

As homer would have  said: "DOH"

You should also create a custom Workspace on the "Tools / Customize—›Options" page. Overwrite a name in the "Save In" list, then click on the "Save In" button. When needed, select the custom name from "Load From" list and click on the "Load From" button.

Custom work space? 
The items in the drop down lists  don't have much meaning to me.  I may have created them while working with a tutorial.
Over write them?
OK I overwrote the cadcourse16 one in both drop downs and clicked on load from and Save in  respectively while having my template drawing open
 What does this do for me?   Is it  like having all my drawing preferences all plugged in  like a template?

Should I re-save the TWC16_xml.ini and desktop18.ist files ?

* April 15, 2013, 11:15:28 PM
re: …Custom work space?
"Workspace" is what they chose to call this area. Prior to the change-over in V12, it was a "configuration".

re: …I may have created them while working with a tutorial.
The program comes supplied with 6 or 7 Workspaces (configurations). Never save to these (even if possible), but create one with a unique name.

re: …Over write them?
By "overwrite", you would highlight a name in the "Save In" field, then type in a new name. When it is  saved, the name will appear in the "Load From" field.

re: …What does this do for me?
It saves your Workspace settings; i.e. toolbars, menus, palettes, hotkeys and any custom icons you may have made for various tools. Occasionally, something like your hotkeys or toolbars may go wacky and reloading your custom Workspace may correct the problem. You can look at (Load) any of the other workspaces and then reload your own. You can update your custom workspace by saving to it or create a newer one. If you don't like your new saved workspace, you can always go back to the old saved workspace.

re: …Should I re-save the TWC16_xml.ini and desktop18.ist files?
I save a copy of my TWC16_xml.ini file; after editing the "Settings" section in the TCExplorer palette and shutting down TC. You could save the desktop18.ist file, but I find loading my custom workspace sufficient.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

April 16, 2013, 06:34:34 AM
Never save to these (even if possible),

Why not?

It saves your Workspace settings; i.e. toolbars, menus, palettes, hotkeys and any custom icons you may have made for various tools. 

Does it also save the suite of layers  and dimensioning  properties and elements  that I like to start a drawing with?

I don't understand what the terms "Load from" and "Save in" refer to.

Example:
With a  blank drawing open & set up  with my preferred set of parameters, I created a new name by overwriting  and clicked the load from and save in boxes.  Then I opened a new drawing using:  file/ new/ new from scratch and it opened with none of those preferred settings.

I don't get the utility of the load from & save in.
How does one use it?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:41:11 AM by Cliff »

* April 16, 2013, 02:48:24 PM
re: Why not?
Any time you update or reinstall, the supplied configurations will be restored to their original settings. Any custom named configurations are not touched.

re: …Does it also save the suite of layers and dimensioning properties and elements that I like to start a drawing with?
No! Those items would be saved in a Template (TCT) file. Instead of opening a 'New from Scratch' drawing, you could load a Template that you've created that contains all the things you want to start with; certain Layers, Presets, Blocks, etc.

re: …I don't understand what the terms "Load from" and "Save in" refer to.
They refer to the buttons and lists found on the "Options" page, shown above. Then see my answer for "What does this do for me".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled