TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

No Snaps
Read 3612 times
* February 19, 2013, 11:49:36 AM
I just upgraded from TurboCAD 7 Pro to TurboCAD 19 Pro. There are a LOT of differences, and I'm still learning where to find some things in TC19 that I could find with eyes closed in TC7. I have identified a few items that I would like to ask about in the future, but for now I'll start with the simple stuff:

In TC7, clicking the "No Snaps" icon turned off all snap modes that I had selected. For example, if I had "Vertex", "Middle", and "Intersection" snaps active (which is very common for me), and clicked "No Snaps", all three of the snap modes would be turned off. I actually used this feature very often.

In TC19, however, clicking "No Snaps" merely disables those other snap modes until "No Snaps" is clicked again, at which point all three snap modes are enabled again. If I want to turn them all off, then I have to click each icon individually, which I find to be tedious.

It seems like a small thing, but I found the TC7 way to be very handy. Is there any way in TC19 to restore that TC7 way of doing things?

Thanks.

* February 19, 2013, 11:56:41 AM
If I understand what you're asking... use the Snap button at the bottom of the screen. You can preset which snaps are active.. then use the button to toggle them on and off.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* February 20, 2013, 05:15:25 AM
Thank you. If I understand correctly, you are referring to the SNAP button in the Coordinate Field. As far as I can tell, that only temporarily turns snaps on/off, but does not clear them -- in fact it seems to have almost the same effect as the "No Snaps" button in the Snap Modes menu. I need a way to clear them all without having to click every snap icon that happens to be turned on at the time.

* February 20, 2013, 05:17:41 AM
Yes... that just turns them on and off... I misunderstood what you were wanting to do.

Why do you want to clear them... just so I understand what you are after?

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* February 20, 2013, 06:06:42 AM
Why do you want to clear them... just so I understand what you are after?
It's probably just the quirky way that I work, but it's pretty common for me to gradually turn on several snap modes as my drawing progresses, then at some point need to shift gears entirely and use a completely different snap mode. For example, I may be drawing polylines that pass through vertices or intersections of several lines or objects that have already been drawn, and then have to draw Beziers that are tangent to the midpoints of the resulting line segments. So I'd like to turn "vertex" and "intersection" (and any other vestigial snap modes that might still be active) completely off, so that when I enable "middle" snaps I know that it is the ONLY snap mode that is on. (It's really frustrating to complete a drawing, only to find that something is wrong because I accidentally failed to turn off a snap mode that was used by TurboCAD instead of the mode that I actually wanted -- pretty easy to do when a drawing gets complicated.)

So, basically, I want to know with certainty that, when I press a particular button, ALL snap modes are turned off. As I mentioned, in TC7 the "No Snaps" icon did this. It no longer works that way in TC19.

* February 21, 2013, 06:03:45 AM
Just a thought, have you tried using SEKE snaps. That way you can leave snaps off all of the time. Carroll

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* February 21, 2013, 07:21:36 AM
...  have you tried using SEKE snaps. That way you can leave snaps off all of the time
Not sure I understand ... do you mean turn all snaps off permanently, and then hit the "v", "m", "whatever" key for every mouse click? That would certainly avoid the "accidentally left a snap mode on" problem, but I think I'd find it tedious.

* February 21, 2013, 07:48:51 AM
...  have you tried using SEKE snaps. That way you can leave snaps off all of the time
Not sure I understand ... do you mean turn all snaps off permanently, and then hit the "v", "m", "whatever" key for every mouse click? That would certainly avoid the "accidentally left a snap mode on" problem, but I think I'd find it tedious.

Coming from an AC background... that is what I thought too. But I no longer use running snaps except for the vary rare occasion.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* February 21, 2013, 07:57:56 AM
Coming from an AC background... that is what I thought too. But I no longer use running snaps except for the vary rare occasion.
Well, I can certainly give it a try. It does violate rather profoundly the concept that the machine is supposed to adapt to the human, and not the other way around. And it also indicates (to me, at least) that lacking a "turn all snap modes off" selection is a serious oversight, especially considering that it was available in earlier versions. Perhaps this should go to the Wish List section.

Thanks to all who responded.

* February 21, 2013, 08:17:35 AM
I do a lot of 3D work... and I find running snaps to be a lot less useful than SEKEs for such work. The habit just got carried over into my 2D detailing...  ;)

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64