TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Cheap and dirty threads on ID
Read 2282 times
* December 18, 2012, 01:33:05 PM
I was thinking for just a quick sketch, is it possible to space circles uniformly apart along the inside wall of a cylindrical 3d subtract hole and have all the circles show?

I can see the circles in wireframe -  but when I turn on hidden line mode they dis appear, and when I increase line thickness via adding thickness to 3d properties, I can see the first circle but I can't see the threads (circles) behind the first facet that the first thread (circle) creates...also tried increasing line pen width, circles don't show...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:36:16 PM by nadsab »

* December 18, 2012, 01:43:22 PM
Use the Thread tool.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* December 18, 2012, 01:52:30 PM
Yes I have and know how to use it - just want to try the circles on this one part - I got the id wrong and would have to re draw the part thought it would be quicker just to draw circles.

* December 18, 2012, 03:06:04 PM
I was thinking for just a quick sketch, is it possible to space circles uniformly apart along the inside wall of a cylindrical 3d subtract hole and have all the circles show?

I can see the circles in wireframe -  but when I turn on hidden line mode they dis appear, and when I increase line thickness via adding thickness to 3d properties, I can see the first circle but I can't see the threads (circles) behind the first facet that the first thread (circle) creates...also tried increasing line pen width, circles don't show...

When you assign a Thickness to a circle, it becomes a disk. So your approach will work if you enable "Show hidden lines as dashed."

Henry H

* December 18, 2012, 03:20:41 PM
I got the id wrong and would have to re draw the part thought it would be quicker just to draw circles.
If all fails and another work option could be a avenue.This suggestion may work what you do if you did this in Deluxe.And if you’re using the trail Pro version open the file in Pro and use the Facet Edit on the ID and Delete it will close the ID up and than establish the new ID size. But if you did it in Pro omit the Deluxe suggestion and use the facet edit tool and delete it..

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* December 19, 2012, 07:56:15 AM

When you assign a Thickness to a circle, it becomes a disk. So your approach will work if you enable "Show hidden lines as dashed."

Henry H

Yes when I set the camera properties to "Draw Hidden Line as Dashed" after adding a thickness to the circles in the 3d properties, the circles show -  but the problem is all the other hidden lines of the drawing show through the surface as well, which I don't want.

* December 19, 2012, 07:58:29 AM
...And if you’re using the trail Pro version open the file in Pro and use the Facet Edit on the ID and Delete it will close the ID up and than establish the new ID size. But if you did it in Pro omit the Deluxe suggestion and use the facet edit tool and delete it..

The Facet edit tool will not allow me to select the facet of the circles, whether or not I assign a thickness to them in the 3d properties of the circles.  I can however select other facets on the same object though.

* December 19, 2012, 04:32:30 PM
...And if you’re using the trail Pro version open the file in Pro and use the Facet Edit on the ID and Delete it will close the ID up and than establish the new ID size. But if you did it in Pro omit the Deluxe suggestion and use the facet edit tool and delete it..

The Facet edit tool will not allow me to select the facet of the circles, whether or not I assign a thickness to them in the 3d properties of the circles.  I can however select other facets on the same object though.
Hopefully you had the Part Tree activated if did you could modify Threaded hole to a Plain hole via the Selection Palette than use Facet Edit Tool to delete the hole than will work.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison