TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Dealing with Large 3D Files
Read 1276 times
December 21, 2012, 09:20:42 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments for dealing with large 3D models?  I have been working with a detailed model in TC19 Platinum this last week that is larger than 18 Megs.  I have of course been turning off layers and working in draft (or wire) when applicable to assist with rendering.  When printing and rendering the final project it takes several minutes on my i7 64 bit system.

FYI, I started the drawing on a 32 bit system, when it got to big this system could not deal with it and would crash.

I am curious about how anyone else might handle the renderings of these large files.

Currently looking at upgrading my Desktop system to:
Xeon E5-1607, 3.0Ghz, 10M Four Core Processor
8GB DDR3 RDIMM 1600, ECC Ram
1GB nVidia Quadro 2000 Video Card

Any comments before I order this system?  Should I get more "cores" on the processor?  I don't think TurboCAD will utilize multiple cores more than the speed of the processor, correct?

Thanks for any comment or thought.

December 22, 2012, 09:14:02 AM
Dave

I am working on a detailed model/s at the moment. The best method I use is to break it down into separate files and use the "Create External Reference" which keeps your main file small as they are blocks and are "load on demand". Yes your memory will still get used up as if it were a single file but I find it more manageable. Also reduces the risk of loosing the file if the drawing get corrupt.

You can also look at other thing to do in the graphics properties, 3D faceter settings.

Another thing is to load your machine with it's maximum memory option. I don't think your processor is a problem....unless the speed is an issue for you.

I look at the "Windows Task Manager" when rendering to look at the load on memory. I bet when you hit your RAM's capacity your virtual memory kicks in and your harddisk goes into meltdown! I know mine does!

*edit - Don't forget to reduce your undo depth - before 64bit I sometimes used to have no undo's!*
Daz  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:27:22 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

December 22, 2012, 10:15:35 AM
If you want faster rendering then get the fastest multicore processor you can afford.
Also I would recommend a SSD for your OS and program file locations. A harddisk can be a bottle neck, It certainly was for me on my machines....all now have SSD's and TC appreciates it  ;)

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

December 22, 2012, 02:04:54 PM
Darrel, Thank you for your thoughts.  External Refs are a great idea.  I forgot about utilizing this feature and that totally makes since.

I have been currently saving my work, name1, name2, etc. in a file folder where my drawings are.  When I am done with the project I go back and delete the earlier versions of the drawing/model.  This helps if something gets corrupted or I find a bug. :)

Also, thanks for the additional tweaks.  I forgot about these areas also.  It makes since that the SSD would help speed up your system especially if it contains your OS.