TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Swapping out parts via template files?
Read 2130 times
* December 07, 2012, 07:32:50 AM
Hi,

How would I swap out individual parts of a drawing using the template files?

In other words, let's say I have a drawing with several 3d parts or components in it.  And I have saved several individual parts as template files.  I would like to select a part or component in a drawing, and swap in or replace that part with a part saved as a template file.   I would like to swap it in so that the swapped in part has the same 3d orientation and position as the part I am replacing...

* December 07, 2012, 11:48:43 AM
I would do it differently using x-ref's or 3D symbols and place them on different layers in the proper orientation.  Then I would modify the model by manipulating the layers...

Johnny

TurboCAD v19 Platinum - 64bit
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
Intel i7 - x980 (3.33 GHz 6 duo-core)
12GB RAM, ATI 5570 w/1GB VRAM, 2TB 7200rpm HDD

Fast but not the fastest...

December 07, 2012, 12:58:16 PM
Hi,

I have changed my work flow completely with 3d parts - i now have a file  i draw the part in steps, when complete i save the part again in its entirety  usind a 2d layer and 3d layer named after the part.

I the have the last file which is the assembly dwg which all the parts are x-reffed in and then using the drafting pallette to create all the detail through the paper space drawings.

Each part comes in on a seperate layer taht can be toggled on/off.

If ihave to change the part i can make minor changes in the part file with the part tree etc and it updates in themain assembly dwgor if its a major change i go back to the first file and use the bits to re-make it.

I can also remove and add parts in the main dwag by add/ replacing x-refs. To line up i use little markers on the 2d layer to snap to and then turn the layer off.

You need to be really clean with the x-ref files as they drag everything in to the main file so i make sure everything views ect are deleted.

The drafting pallete i don.t think is available in deluxe.

Thanks go to greg t who has put on this work flow path but i welcome any better suggestions.

Regards
Brett

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* December 10, 2012, 03:32:27 PM
Thanks on that  I will try to set up my work flow that way!

In the short term though, what I really need to do is start slow - what I am trying to figure out, is how to select one part in a drawing, and swap in a different part.

How would I do that?

Is there a way to select a part in a drawing and replace it with a part contained in an xref file, and have it so the new part will have the same spatial orientation as the original, in Deluxe 19? 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:46:03 PM by nadsab »

December 10, 2012, 06:44:07 PM
Hi,

GregT is the guru on this amongst others, but I replaced x-ref parst using this setting (refer PNG) - I still don't have a good handle on the orientation bit. I just used a point marker on a 2d layer that I include on the parts so I can manually snap to and rotate, when updating x-refs and re-loading they can move so with my points I can snap back quickly. I'm a learner so look out for further guru posts.
h
Good Luck
Brett

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* December 20, 2012, 11:56:03 AM
Just wondering what would be the way to do this.

I have created separate files with one part in each file, and I can see the associated thumbnails in my library palette.

Is there a specific command that I can use such that when I select an existing part in a drawing, such command would swap out the selected part, with the part in the library i want to replace it with?

December 21, 2012, 04:31:02 AM
You need too have the xref in the blocks pallettenof the drawing you swap it with as shown on the png file

Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* December 22, 2012, 07:24:18 AM
The blocks pallette is the way to do this.  In order to keep the same orientation of all the parts being swapped, I would make sure to save the part with the same workplane as the original part and pick a point that you can use for alignment on all the parts to locate the reference point.  If you work with blocks, they are brought in using the block reference point which you can modify in tools-relocate block space/reference point.  I try to locate the parts reference point and the block reference point to the same point to make it easier for me to work with, as once the block is in the drawing then you pick it up with the reference point of the part.  I think x-refs just use the parts reference point, but maybe someone else knows more.

Hope this helps

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS