TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Making threads with Revolve & thread3d tools
Read 10583 times
* November 28, 2012, 06:29:16 AM
I would like to try making my own threads on a rod.

The rod would have left hand threads on one end, and RH threads on the other, and would meet at center of rod. Like the kind of adjustment rod that is commonly found in a Bow Compass.

The type of thread, and the pitch does not matter, I just want to make generic threads on a rod for illustration purposes.

I assume I will have to draw two elliptical circles around the rod at equal opposite angles to each other, and then somehow copy and paste the ellipses along the length of the rod and then then increase like thickness so the threads will show.

Whats the best method or technique to do this in Deluxe 19?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:21:55 AM by nadsab »

* November 28, 2012, 07:18:52 AM
I just drew a line however long you want the rod. Then drew a V where the dia of the rod is to be. Then I drew a cyl the length of the line. Then went to 3d revolve and in propertys set up the number of coils I wanted. Then set up the spiral pitch I wanted. (in this case 1/16in) then clicked counter clockwise. Then selected the V then what ever end you wanted it to start on clicked on the line. It then should put your threads on in that direction. Then select V again and change in revolve options the counterclock wise direction select opposite end of the line it then should put the threads on the other end. I hope this is about what you want. Carroll 

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* December 02, 2012, 08:39:18 AM
Are you doing 2d or 3d?

* December 03, 2012, 05:53:30 AM
The V is drawen as a 2d object and rotated around a cylinder with the 3d revolve tool. Carroll

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* December 03, 2012, 12:23:35 PM
Thanks so much Carroll, I will check it out and try to duplicate it from scratch and practice!

3D littleman.

* December 03, 2012, 12:34:31 PM
I just drew a line however long you want the rod. Then drew a V where the dia of the rod is to be. Then I drew a cyl the length of the line.

I understand the later stuff but not really sure how you set this up.  Is the V connected to the line?  Or the Cylinder?  Is the vertex of the V on one of the ends of the line?  Is the line the center axis of the rod?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:36:09 PM by nadsab »

* December 03, 2012, 02:24:16 PM
Something like this. A closed polyline, revolved around the perimeter of a cylinder. Open the Properties for the revolved object and enter a value for "Spiral Pitch". The "Number of Coils" field will become available and enter how many coils you require. 3D Add the two objects together. Terrible picture, but hopefully you get the idea.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 03, 2012, 03:27:15 PM
I think I get it, the tip of the V has to be pointing in towards the centerline?

* December 09, 2012, 02:21:45 PM
I was just wondering - is there a way to feather the ends of threads?  In other words, where the threads start and end on any screw, they are feathered towards the OD of the shaft when they start and end - fade into the metal - don't know what they call that....

* December 09, 2012, 02:57:21 PM
I was just wondering - is there a way to feather the ends of threads?  In other words, where the threads start and end on any screw, they are feathered towards the OD of the shaft when they start and end - fade into the metal - don't know what they call that....

At the end of the screw, it's a "chamfer." If the threads don't run the full length of the screw, "runout" is where they blend into the unthreaded region. TCad Pro offers a Chamfer tool that takes care of the end of the screw quickly and painlessly (usually). To create a chamfer in Deluxe, you'd have to make a new object and 3D Subtract it from your threads. Runout is a lot more troublesome and not worth the bother, IMO.

Henry H

* December 17, 2012, 07:22:39 AM
What would cause the Thread3D tool in Pro to gray out, after I make a screw? 

Just made a screw it worked fine and now I can't access the tool....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:44:57 AM by nadsab »

* December 17, 2012, 09:03:10 AM
What would cause the Thread3D tool in Pro to gray out, after I make a screw? 

Just made a screw it worked fine and now I can't access the tool....

It's available only in Wireframe.

Henry H

* December 17, 2012, 09:29:58 AM

* December 18, 2012, 04:31:14 PM
Can't understand what I am doing wrong here, I was 3d subtracting threads  made with thread3d  just fine before, to create id threaded bores, but now all of the sudden it's not working.  I even drew a simple cube, and 3d intersected some threads from a box and the hole is plugged.  I switched the threads from solid to TC surface...

I can see the subtracted threads in wireframe in the box, but not hidden line rendering...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:33:05 PM by nadsab »

* December 18, 2012, 07:01:47 PM
Can't understand what I am doing wrong here, I was 3d subtracting threads  made with thread3d  just fine before, to create id threaded bores, but now all of the sudden it's not working.  I even drew a simple cube, and 3d intersected some threads from a box and the hole is plugged.  I switched the threads from solid to TC surface...

I can see the subtracted threads in wireframe in the box, but not hidden line rendering...

Lots of possibilities. Post the drawing.

Henry H

* December 18, 2012, 07:50:56 PM
Here it is.  I started a new drawing/file from scratch.

U can see the threads in wireframe but not hidden line rendering.

Worked before don't know why it does not work now...

* December 18, 2012, 08:28:49 PM
Here it is.  I started a new drawing/file from scratch.

U can see the threads in wireframe but not hidden line rendering.

Worked before don't know why it does not work now...

The object is corrupt, but I can't tell what caused the problem.

In any event, you're doing it the hard way. In Pro, have a look at the Hole tool and all of its options (accessible via its Properties dialog). Before using it, you need to set a Workplane on the face where the hole is to start and then place a Point object where you want the hole.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:44:01 PM by Henry Hubich »

* December 19, 2012, 06:10:10 AM
How could it not be on my menu?  I have the trial of Pro, and it's not there. Your menu has more options...

* December 19, 2012, 06:21:14 AM
On the problem, does TC need to be in Redsdk mode in order to 3d subtract a thread3d generated drawing with a TC surface?

Can't figure out why this worked fine a few days ago and now it does not work, even on a new drawing...I am thinking maybe I switdhed something on or off that that is causing the threads to not show but it seems strange that the threads would show fine in Wirefrane and not in hidden line
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:51:07 AM by nadsab »

* December 19, 2012, 08:49:11 AM
I even just now tried making my own threads with the revolve tool as I did last week, and I am getting this error message when I try to 3d subtract them from a hole:

"The Resultant ACIS solid is degenerated.  The boolean operation is discarded."

I'm running out of options at this point it seems the only way to do it is to spin my own threads with revolve tool, insert the spins in holes and I won't 3d subtract them, just group the spins with the part.

* December 19, 2012, 10:38:11 AM
On the problem, does TC need to be in Redsdk mode in order to 3d subtract a thread3d generated drawing with a TC surface?

Can't figure out why this worked fine a few days ago and now it does not work, even on a new drawing...I am thinking maybe I switdhed something on or off that that is causing the threads to not show but it seems strange that the threads would show fine in Wirefrane and not in hidden line

No. But the entities involved in the subtract operation must be both Solids or both TC Surfaces.

Henry H

* December 19, 2012, 10:39:16 AM
I even just now tried making my own threads with the revolve tool as I did last week, and I am getting this error message when I try to 3d subtract them from a hole:

"The Resultant ACIS solid is degenerated.  The boolean operation is discarded."

I'm running out of options at this point it seems the only way to do it is to spin my own threads with revolve tool, insert the spins in holes and I won't 3d subtract them, just group the spins with the part.

That might well be the problem. Subtract from a solid object, not from a hole.

Henry H

* December 19, 2012, 10:56:19 AM
Tried that too did not work.

Are there any settings or preferences that would cause this?

* December 19, 2012, 11:01:16 AM
How could it not be on my menu?  I have the trial of Pro, and it's not there. Your menu has more options...

Not sure. See if it's available on your Drawing Tools toolbar. If it's not, go to Tools>Customize>Commands>All Commands, scroll down the list in the right-hand pane, and see if you can find it there. If you do, then drag the icon onto your Drawing Tools toolbar. If the tool is not listed in Tools>Customize, then maybe your trial version isn't sufficiently powerful. While the "Pro Platinum" edition contains this tool, perhaps lesser editions do not.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:20:44 AM by Henry Hubich »

* December 19, 2012, 12:00:17 PM
Tried that too did not work.

Are there any settings or preferences that would cause this?

Oops. I failed to note that you'd made the threads with the Revolve tool. Turns out that this operation is kinda finicky. To make it work, I had to take several non-obvious precautions: 1) Make the hole by subtracting a cylinder whose diameter is a tad larger than the minor diameter of the threads,  set its Number of approximation lines to 60, and check the "Smooth" option. 2) For the threads made with the Revolve tool, set the Spiral Pitch to a tad less than the height of a single revolution (i.e., make the coils overlap just a hair).

Henry H

* December 19, 2012, 12:09:14 PM

My Insert menu also has 3D Object>Thread, which works on cylinders and in preexisting cylindrical holes in Solids.

Henry H

* December 19, 2012, 12:38:49 PM

My Insert menu also has 3D Object>Thread, which works on cylinders and in preexisting cylindrical holes in Solids.

Henry H

I can find thread3d but not thread.  I guess it does not come with TC Pro 19,

* December 19, 2012, 12:41:02 PM

Not sure. See if it's available on your Drawing Tools toolbar. If it's not, go to Tools>Customize>Commands>All Commands, scroll down the list in the right-hand pane, and see if you can find it there. If you do, then drag the icon onto your Drawing Tools toolbar. If the tool is not listed in Tools>Customize, then maybe your trial version isn't sufficiently powerful. While the "Pro Platinum" edition contains this tool, perhaps lesser editions do not.

Henry H

...could not find the "Hole" tool.

So if it's not on Tools>Customize>Commands>All Commands list - then I don't have it?

EDIT just checked the WIKI hole is only available in platinum.

WIKI does not have an entry for "Thread" tool though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:46:50 PM by nadsab »

* December 19, 2012, 01:48:59 PM

For the threads made with the Revolve tool, set the Spiral Pitch to a tad less than the height of a single revolution (i.e., make the coils overlap just a hair).

Henry H

OK I'm trying to understand pitch - how does pitch relate to the height of a revolution?  Is the pitch the width of a thread?  In other words, if I have 32 threads per inch, then is the pitch itself is 1/32"?

How would this relate to revolution  height?

* December 19, 2012, 02:50:06 PM

For the threads made with the Revolve tool, set the Spiral Pitch to a tad less than the height of a single revolution (i.e., make the coils overlap just a hair).

Henry H

OK I'm trying to understand pitch - how does pitch relate to the height of a revolution?  Is the pitch the width of a thread?  In other words, if I have 32 threads per inch, then is the pitch itself is 1/32"?

How would this relate to revolution  height?

Right.

Henry H

* December 19, 2012, 03:30:21 PM

Henry H

...could not find the "Hole" tool.

So if it's not on Tools>Customize>Commands>All Commands list - then I don't have it?

EDIT just checked the WIKI hole is only available in platinum.

WIKI does not have an entry for "Thread" tool though.

You might consider trying to find a good deal on v17.2 Platinum, which has those tools.

Henry H

* December 20, 2012, 08:43:27 AM
Ok problem solved thanks much.  That was the problem, as you suggested - I needed to "create a cylinder whose diameter is a tad larger than the minor diameter of the threads...".  That solved it I was able to 3d subtract threads made with both the thread3d tool and revolve tool.  I was also trying to subtract threads without making a hole which is what I think was a problem too.  I'll have to remember that - I made the cylinder about .005" smaller in radius compared to the max diameter of the threads.  I think as long as the  OD of the cylinder wall lies between the min and max diameters of the threads, it seems to work.  With the revolve tool I also made the coils overlap - but I don't think that was a factor because I was able to 3d subtract with the thread3d tool and I don't think the threads that the thread3d tool makes overlaps the threads.  Drawing looks great now :)

Man this drove me nutz for two days LOL.  I'm posting this so if I ever forget I can look it up or maybe it will save some poor soul some time if they have the same problem LOL.