TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

bend lines?
Read 1520 times
* May 16, 2013, 06:45:49 AM
I was experimenting with sheet metal design methodology and noticed that when I used one procedure, TC appears to give up the bend centreline.  I formatted a box as surface from solid, then facet-edit-deleted one side.  I chamfered the corners of the open side, then filleted them.  The chamfer offset was greater than the radius of the fillet, which causes this effect, I think.  I facet-edit-deleted all of the chamfer and fillet faces except for the ones I wanted to unbend, then shelled and unbent what was left.  If you look at the corners of the unbend result, it's left angular cutouts with apexes that locate the bend centreline.   

* May 16, 2013, 12:24:30 PM
I see that's a v15 drawing, Murray. A great many Unbend problems have been fixed since then, and yours is one of them. The object unbends perfectly in v20.

Henry H

* May 16, 2013, 02:57:58 PM
I'm passing it along because I found the locating of the bend centreline useful for aligning it to the tool in a brake, Henry.  I used V15 because it might be useful to folks with earlier versions and it forestalls having to convert it backwards.

* May 16, 2013, 07:53:55 PM
I'm passing it along because I found the locating of the bend centreline useful for aligning it to the tool in a brake, Henry.  I used V15 because it might be useful to folks with earlier versions and it forestalls having to convert it backwards.

The bend line location is certainly useful, but the flat pattern is wrong. I'm still waiting for a version that provides both a bend line location and a correct flat pattern. Maybe unbending identical objects in both v15 and v20 is a feasible approach ...?

Henry H