TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Best program to convert .jpg to .tcw or .dxf
Read 7203 times
* November 08, 2012, 09:57:04 PM
What is the best program to convert simple .jpg to a .tcw or .dxf file so I can cut it out on my plasma cutter.

FastCut CNC Plasma Cutter, Mach3, TurboCad V18.

November 12, 2012, 02:33:11 PM
I think you will need something like Illustrator or Corel Draw - something that will export to .dwg.  What you will get is still a (.dwg file format) bitmap inside model space (or paper space), not a vector drawing, but at least TCAD will open it as a .dwg or .dxf and display/print it.   Not sure but Inkscape may export to .dwg and it is free to download. 

Version 20.2, BUILD 51.3, Pro Plat, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, GigabyteMB with AMD 6 core cpu - 3.4ghz, 8 gb ram, 1 gb Nvidia GeForce GTS 450.

November 13, 2012, 05:50:43 AM
An alternative would be to import the JPG file into TurboCad, resize it as appropriate and the "draw" what you need for your cutter.

Another alternative is the free version of WinTop which will open a JPG file and convert it to a vector drawing (by pressing F10) but is not great with pure photos.

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

November 13, 2012, 08:36:41 AM
Illustrator will open dwg files but will not save to that format.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

* November 19, 2012, 04:38:04 PM
Found this online:

http://www.img2cad.com/

works pretty well with simple .jpeg and such.  Need to trace over the lines to smooth it out.  Used the free download, now thinking of getting the full version.

FastCut CNC Plasma Cutter, Mach3, TurboCad V18.

November 20, 2012, 05:21:27 AM
I tried img2cad and compared the results to Wintopo.  I have attached the two for comparison.  Wintopo generates a smaller DXF file and the conversion is more "jagged".  However. I felt it was more accurate especially on compound curves.

But, I had to convert them to TCW format to upload which highlights my view that Wintopo is a better bet.  The drawback is the "full" version is twice the price but advertised as more accurate translation.

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video