TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

New guy, saying Hi.
Read 1526 times
May 01, 2012, 10:54:45 AM
Hey All,

This is somewhat of a return to the forums after a ~6 year hiatus. I'm Ben, I've been an employee at Dakatec since 1996. Some of you may remember us from the Beta forums some years back. We stayed with Tcad up to v14 and hit a standstill since we were having too many issues past v11.1... which we currently use. Yep, we're behind a bit. haha

For those that don't know or remember us - Dakatec is an illustration firm who specializes in black and white line art drawings for inventors. We draw vector illustrations of inventions that are filed along with the patent applications. We had really close ties to TurboCAD/IMSI from v2 up until v14. The focus of the program moved to 3d (understandably so) and left some of the issues we found/had with 2d largely unresolved... it's 2d, who uses that for serious or extensive work besides us? Right? haha

I'm running through v19 Deluxe and testing it as a potential upgrade for the office and I am impressed so far. It seems to run lighter and faster in some ways, even on my clunky XP box here at the office.

It's nice to be able to join in the fun again, play with features and breaking them and reporting so we can help TurboCAD maintain its awesomeness. I'll have to find a copy of Pro Platinum for home use. I build motorcycles in my spare time and design parts, it looks like v19PP can handle organic shapes now.... that'll be fun for designing tanks and fenders. :)

-Ben

TurboCAD Deluxe v19 (build 27.1)
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
2GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512MB x2
Avast Antivirus v4.8
3 Monitor Workstation

May 01, 2012, 11:39:09 AM
Welcome Back Ben... :)

Daz…

V2020 & V2019 Plat 64bit + REDsdk Plugin, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

May 02, 2012, 06:53:26 AM
Thanks, Darrel!  :)

Windows XP SP3
2GB Ram
Avast Antivirus v4.8
3 Monitor Workstation

* May 02, 2012, 07:15:29 AM
Welcome back Ben, I always remember your site, as that grey theme with all the interesting flash bells and whistles was very impressive, but just looked and have seen that you have changed the theme. The original theme was excellent, but the new one works well also. I always said that I would get around to designing my website like your original, with all the mechanical sounds as well, but never even get time to finish my site these days. You may have prompted me to get moving and design one with rams and pistons etc, or even a steam punk variant.

May 03, 2012, 06:12:32 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Michael! I think the grey flash website/interface will always be my favorite. We pretty much outdid ourselves with that one for sure. It was created back when Dave and I had more free time to "play" around with things like that... overall I think it took right around 6-8 months to design and tweak. There were a few stretches where we dedicated an entire week to just the website.  Unfortunately we had to take the site down, the old SWF (flash) file created a security issue and trying to republish in a newer version of Flash created animation issues. We discovered the hack after the site was blacklisted by email servers and client notification our site was being used by someone as a spam machine. :(

We did a Steam Punk variant about two years ago to replace the grey one... sounded great on paper, execution was a bit off the mark. I bet it would have worked if we had more time dedicated to the overall design, animations and functions. This current one is us going in a more corporate direction with things since we've grown considerably in the past 4 years. We work with mainly law firms who represent inventors and/or conglomerants, it's always a good idea to mirror or mimic your target audience when selling a product or service.

Let me know when you get some ideas down and hashed out for your new site, I'd love to see what you come up with. :)

Windows XP SP3
2GB Ram
Avast Antivirus v4.8
3 Monitor Workstation