TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Need help on how to insert doors from the architectural tools
Read 6823 times
July 08, 2009, 12:36:53 PM
I usually don't have problems with doors but this is a unique situation.  Maybe someone has some insight into how to do it.

I have a concrete foundation wall that extends above the floor level to from a concrete wainscot in a shop.  Sitting on top of the concrete wall is a frame wall.  I want to insert a door into the frame wall and displace the threshold down to the floor elevation.  When I add a minus number to the displace threshold portion of the door prop. dialog it converts it to a plus number and won't allow the door to go below the workplane.  Attached is a quick sketchup sketch to illustrate what I am trying to do in TC.

Any help would be appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* July 08, 2009, 04:29:51 PM
I believe you need to create a Wall Style with several components to use on a single wall. Look at the TurboCAD's supplied Architectural template; it has a "Wall with Border and Base" Wall Style in the Style Manager. It may give you some ideas on how to create your wall. I never got the hang of the "Wall Styles" feature, but maybe Dave Taylor can help you out with this.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* July 08, 2009, 05:42:25 PM
The most like reason for this is that TC currently doesn't support the use of the modifier for wall bottoms.  We're looking to add that to v17.
But I will have to verify with softdev that this isn't an oversight on their part.   Since we comply with ACA (autocad architect) it may be coming form them.
However a door can go above a wall without an modifier so you might try adding the door to the foundation wall and increasing the threshold height until you have it postioned correctly.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:46:15 PM by Dave Taylor »

* July 09, 2009, 01:09:45 AM
Well, I gave it a try and I have to say, I wouldn't wish Wall Styles on my worst enemy. The buggiest piece of crap going. I was able to create a wall similar to yours, but while it looked good from one direction, the other side was no good. If I had to create component walls, I would skip the Architectural tools altogether and go with 3D solids/surfaces. I could spend hours twiddling the numbers and the wall won't come out properly. I believe Kai Sannes & Son were one of the few people that could figure out how to use Wall Styles.

I've got two walls on the right, but the door is only recognized by one of them. The component wall is on the left.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:13:09 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

July 09, 2009, 09:37:52 AM
Thanks guys,

John, I downloaded your wall and I will do some experimenting on my own today.  I haven't done anything with component wall yet so I guess it is time to experiment.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* July 09, 2009, 10:59:38 AM

I am working with development to determine why the threshold doesn't allow for negative numbers.
In addtional we are having may discssion about the the best plan of action for improving the Styles interface througout the product.

* July 09, 2009, 11:04:03 AM
I fiddled some more this afternoon and discovered what one problem was; walls with different styles can't be placed next to each other. As soon as I shortened those two 5ft walls, so they didn't touch the other wall, most everything fell into place. I'm still having problems with the offset parameters; more guessing than anything else.

re: best plan of action for improving the Styles interface throughout the product

Replace the palettes with dialog pages. Scrolling up-n-down sucks; I can't tell the difference  between components after a while.
Another idea — Maybe use two or three alternating colors between components, much like this forum.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:14:52 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

July 09, 2009, 01:33:08 PM
I don't mind working in the pallets, I could handle a dialog box for setting up the master but I like editing in the pallet.  The color idea would be great.  A different shade for each component of the style would separate them well.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* July 10, 2009, 03:36:12 PM
The color idea would be great.  A different shade for each component of the style would separate them well.

Something like one of these might be helpful.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* July 10, 2009, 05:01:24 PM
great idea...i will see what we can do....maybe the component color can be the driving factor for the properties of that particular component's properties.

* July 10, 2009, 06:35:06 PM
...maybe the component color can be the driving factor for the properties of that particular component's properties.

Sounds kind of nice, have a basic set of alternating colors when the Pen Color is set to By Block. If the user does change Pen Color, then use that color. It might work, provided you can get the text for that particular section to change from black-to-white when a dark color is specified for Pen Color.

Railings is another place that would benefit from some color coding.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* July 10, 2009, 07:02:26 PM
Another example of what's wrong with the new forum. Real problems being discussed under General Discussion.

July 10, 2009, 07:32:02 PM
Sorry Robert,

It is sometimes difficult to decide between general posts and problems, but I didn't see my original post as a problem, I was looking for technique.  I am actually liking the  new forum, but I wish search of the old data base was built in.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* July 12, 2009, 07:25:20 PM
Ignore me. I wasn't picking on you. It's one of the peeves I have about the new forum. I can grouse all I want but it probably won't change anything.