TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Work Plane
Read 6969 times
November 10, 2010, 07:58:06 AM
Question:

If you make a standard cube, tilt the top toward you then putting working-plane “square” with the new sloped edges on its side (using the thee points method), then go to paper space and select a side view.  It’ll show the block tilted much as if you projected it in an orthographic side view tilted yet, not straight.  Why is that?

Bob

* November 10, 2010, 10:16:04 AM
Question:

If you make a standard cube, tilt the top toward you then putting working-plane “square” with the new sloped edges on its side (using the thee points method), then go to paper space and select a side view.  It’ll show the block tilted much as if you projected it in an orthographic side view tilted yet, not straight.  Why is that?

Bob

"Why" is 'cuz the default named views are based upon the World coordinate system and cannot be changed. The workaround is to fiddle with what you see in modelspace until it's what you want to see in paperspace (see below for details); then Create View based upon that; then insert a Viewport in paperspace and specify the View you just created.

Since your 3D object is simple, the easiest accurate way to see it side-on is to create a new Workplane on that side (using Workplane by 3 Points) and then press Ctrl+Shift+W to go to Plan View by Workplane.

A much better method is to use an invaluable Plugin that can show views based upon your current Workplane rather than upon the World coordinate system. Go to

http://www.bcitool.com/TCDRC/Files/CCeab/viewsucs.zip

Henry H
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:17:50 AM by Henry Hubich »

November 16, 2010, 10:34:05 AM

A much better method is to use an invaluable Plugin that can show views based upon your current Workplane rather than upon the World coordinate system. Go to

http://www.bcitool.com/TCDRC/Files/CCeab/viewsucs.zip

Henry H

I'm interested but ignorant...  I've never used any additional plug-ins.

Can anyone share what/how to use this once its downloaded. (relocate file?) What capabilities does it add?

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* November 16, 2010, 01:54:58 PM
About the plugin:

Close TCad, then simply unZip the download and place the result (a single file, "viewsucs.dll") in TCad's Program\Draggers folder. It'll place a new toolbar on your desktop, which you use exactly like the built-in "Standard Views" toolbar, except that its views are based upon your current Workplane rather than the World Workplane.

Henry H

November 16, 2010, 01:58:42 PM
About the plugin:

Thanks Henry, I'll give it a try....

Alan H.

part 2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It worked like a charm....

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:58:02 PM by Alan H. »

* November 16, 2010, 05:00:20 PM
About the plugin:

Thanks Henry, I'll give it a try....

Alan H.

part 2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It worked like a charm....

Yup. I find it indispensable.

Henry H

* November 19, 2010, 02:40:16 AM
Alan,

This is my first post so here goes. I'm new to 3D and have just upgraded to TCad 17.2 Pro and in Design Director there is an option to go to "view by workplane" if the workplanes are named. Does that do the same thing?

Which brings me to my problem. How can I pluck (copy/export?) 2D shapes, all on different planes,from a 3D drawing, and paste them as true shapes into a new 2D drawing? I thought if I viewed them individually with their workplane in plan view, copied them and then pasted them, one at a time, into a new 2D drawing I'd have what I wanted ie. a drawing I could send to the laser cutters. WRONG! They all appear as lines ie. "edge on". Is it a UCS or selection problem? There must be a simple solution!

Jamie Quinlan

November 19, 2010, 07:36:32 AM
Alan,

This is my first post so here goes.

Jamie Quinlan

Hi Jamie

Welcome to the forum. 8)  At this point my experience with  3-D is mostly academic and I still consider myself an intern ::) related to the 3-D process.  I  can answer functional questions but, I'd rather leave a question of this nature to members that have more practical experience.  But I am flattered that you addressed me, thanks.  ;D

Alan H. 

* November 19, 2010, 10:44:03 AM

Which brings me to my problem. How can I pluck (copy/export?) 2D shapes, all on different planes,from a 3D drawing, and paste them as true shapes into a new 2D drawing? I thought if I viewed them individually with their workplane in plan view, copied them and then pasted them, one at a time, into a new 2D drawing I'd have what I wanted ie. a drawing I could send to the laser cutters. WRONG! They all appear as lines ie. "edge on". Is it a UCS or selection problem? There must be a simple solution!

Try this, Jamie: Click the "Selector 3D Properties" button on your Inspector Bar (If you see "Selector 2D Properties" rather than "Selector 3D Properties," then click "Toggle 2D/3D" first) and set both Extents CS and Coordinate System to "User CS." Next, press Ctrl+Alt+W (to go to the World Workplane) and then press Ctrl+W (to go to World Plan View). Finally, select one of the edge-on objects and press Alt+Shift+W -- which places the object on the current Workplane and thus should orient it the way you want. Repeat the select-and-Alt+Shift+W sequence for each object.

If this doesn't work, please post the drawing that contains the edge-on objects and somebody will probably be able to fix it.

Henry H

* November 19, 2010, 07:45:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Henry. Everything works except the last step; the selected "edge-on" object doesn't re-orientate.

I've attached 2 drawings: "Mont2" is the source drawing for the shapes (pink) which I'm trying to copy and paste into the "Mont-laser" drawing.

I'm sure there's an easy solution. Thanks again, Jamie

* November 19, 2010, 08:50:24 PM
Thanks for the reply Henry. Everything works except the last step; the selected "edge-on" object doesn't re-orientate.

I've attached 2 drawings: "Mont2" is the source drawing for the shapes (pink) which I'm trying to copy and paste into the "Mont-laser" drawing.

I'm sure there's an easy solution. Thanks again, Jamie

There is. It's a tad unconventional, because the objects you're copy-and-pasting are a little unconventional: Groups which contain other Groups as well as 2D primitives. After fiddling with your drawings for a while, the easiest way I found to put everything flat on the Workplane is to use Assemble by 3 Points. Here's how: In the target drawing, Switch to an Isometric view before proceeding further, so you can see what you're doing. Turn on "Vertex" running Snap mode. In the source drawing, select an object and press Ctlr+C to copy it, then go to the target drawing and press Ctrl+V to paste it.

Activate "Assemble by 3 Points" (an icon in the Drawing Tools toolbar) and follow the instructions at the bottom left of your screen. When they tell you to "Select an entity whose position you wish to change," click on the newly-pasted object (I'll call it Sam for convenience). Next step is to "Specify the location of the source point." Click someplace on the edge of Sam, preferably a corner at one end. In response to "Specify the location of the destination point," click on the cyan-colored object that I see is already on the Workplane in the target drawing (click a point that corresponds approximately to the point you already clicked on Sam; it need not correspond exactly). Continuing to follow the instructions, you'll  have two more source points to designate and two more destination points. The instant you click the final destination point, Sam will flop onto the Workplane. You'll still have to move him into whatever final position is required.

If time permits, you may want to clean up the target drawing by redrawing the imported objects as Polylines and deleting the messy Groups. Save the drawing under a new name first, so you'll still have Mont-laser.tcw intact in case something goes sour.

Henry H

* November 19, 2010, 09:52:01 PM
Many thanks Henry; I'll give it a try and report back. This is my first attempt at 3D so things are a bit messy as you say.
Cheers, Jamie

* November 19, 2010, 10:37:38 PM
Henry, you're a legend! The pasted objects flop right onto the correct workplane as you say - many thanks.

I'm not yet fully up to speed on selecting the newly pasted objects without changing their workplane. If I select them in 2D mode I get a warning about changing the drawing's workplane. If I select them in 3D mode, I get no warning, but if I try to move them I get a warning that editing the selected 2D object in the 3D mode changes the object's workplane. If I "Place on Workplane" as suggested in the warning, it reverts to the edge-on view.

In the end I want simple 2D shapes in a 2D drawing which I can then save as a dwg. file to send to the laser cutters.

Thanks for your efforts, Jamie 

* November 20, 2010, 01:52:00 AM
Henry,
All good; thanks very, very much.
Best regards, Jamie

* November 20, 2010, 10:57:44 AM
Henry,
All good; thanks very, very much.
Best regards, Jamie

Glad I could help :-)

Henry H

November 20, 2010, 11:17:54 AM