TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

is there a way to fix perspective in TC?
Read 5903 times
June 18, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
I have noticed that in perspective views TC make the rear of the part wider than the front.  Is this a configuration issue or just a quirk of TC?

Thanks,
Tom

* June 18, 2010, 09:30:05 AM
I have noticed that in perspective views TC make the rear of the part wider than the front.  Is this a configuration issue or just a quirk of TC?

Thanks,
Tom

I haven't seen that. Can you show us an example?

Henry H

* June 18, 2010, 09:57:33 AM
I have noticed that in perspective views TC make the rear of the part wider than the front.  Is this a configuration issue or just a quirk of TC?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom, are you suggesting that is the observation while rendered in standard Isometric Views?.. or in specifically Named Views, with Perspective applied with a numerically assigned value and check-marked under Camera Properties? - Al

June 18, 2010, 09:59:39 AM
i got the isometric view using the inspector tool.

* June 18, 2010, 10:19:01 AM
From what I can see, you don't have Perspective turned on.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* June 18, 2010, 12:37:01 PM
i got the isometric view using the inspector tool.

As illustrated above by Mr. Sollman, you are not actually employing Perspective. You must go to View/Camera/Camera Properties and check-mark the Perspective box. (try leaving it on 35 to start). Most importantly though, you might want to make sure that your model is smaller on the screen, meaning; that it should appear somewhat further away from you. This is because when you select the perspective option, your view will become quite zoomed into the piece's area, even to the point where you could actually be looking at the wire-frame board's center, and the screen then appears blank; when you're actually virtually inside the piece. It will become fairly self-explanatory after an attempt. Good luck Tom.

June 18, 2010, 04:21:12 PM

Thanks,
Tom

Without Perspective View on, my TC does the same thing as you are describing.  (I didn't think you got a direct answer yet!)  You can try with ot without perspective view on -- see which best suits your needs.  But my views also look wider at the back with perspective view off -- you will notice that this effect (illusionary or real) goes away when you select one of the right angle views.

* June 18, 2010, 06:18:09 PM

Thanks,
Tom

Without Perspective View on, my TC does the same thing as you are describing.  (I didn't think you got a direct answer yet!)  You can try with ot without perspective view on -- see which best suits your needs.  But my views also look wider at the back with perspective view off -- you will notice that this effect (illusionary or real) goes away when you select one of the right angle views.

Though you are correct.... Tom did not get a straight answer, I happen to think it visually speaks for itself ( as in Mr. Sollman's post). It is an illusion as the Standard Iso's show that corresponding like parts as literally the same size. I suspect that we 'see' while translating perspective all the time, so on screen, our eye fools our mind! See attached examples. -  Al

June 22, 2010, 06:38:34 AM
i did find out what I needed to know thanks to all.  never checked the camera properties.

Tom

* November 21, 2019, 05:01:46 AM
Hi All,

So when I installed REDSDK it seems to have unchecked the perspective box and my model looked all wonky. Now that I have checked the box and the perspective is set normally the Zoom has become messed up. The zoom now zooms way too far in between + magnifine glass steps. Is there a way to fix this?

Regards,
Dean

TurboCad Platinum Pro 19,20,21, 2019/REDSDK

* November 21, 2019, 05:03:59 AM
 The zoom is also zooming into the model center rather then the center of the view

November 21, 2019, 05:32:14 AM
Myself, once I'm in a Perspective View, I like to use the Examine and/or Dynamic Examine Tools.
For "zooming", I use the Walk Tool.  Very smooth and controllable.

I'll often:
>Invoke Perspective Camera Properties (can be flip-flopped in order, with following step)
>Set a Standard View pretty much how I want it (can be flip-flopped in order, with just-previous step)
>Select that Object(s) I want to zoom in on
>invoke Zoom Selection command
>Use the Walk Tool to zoom in and out.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 21, 2019, 05:41:48 AM
Also remember:

There is a "Zoom Factor" setting option in Menu/Options/Preferences (or Menu/Options/Advanced_Preferences, in more recent versions).

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 21, 2019, 05:44:09 AM
And:

There is a "Scroll Speed" in Camera Properties (the window in which we click on Perspective).
In addition to scrolling, that effects the speed of the other Camera movements-- such as the Walk Tool.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 21, 2019, 07:07:47 AM
Hi Alvin,

I find that Dynamic Examine tools are much slower to use then the center mouse button and the cursors along with the +/- Magnifier button. I have been using this type of model movement since TC19 and it is as fast as I can go.

After checking the perspective view box all of these model view movement parameters change and make them impossible to use. Not sure why changing this would impact all of these other settings. Sure enough when I reopen a new drawing and paste the model in, where perspective view is still unchecked all the controls work as per normal until I check the perspective view box.

I am using a laptop pad not a mouse so I use Center button for rotation and do not use Center Scroll Wheel for Zoom. I use both hands for moving the camera view around the object while working.

I tried changing Scroll Speed, this did not change the increments of the arrow cursor movement on the keyboard this is a mouse wheel setting?

I see that in the Menu/Options/Advanced Preferences there are some other check boxes. Perhaps checking perspective view is altering these for some reason.

November 21, 2019, 09:27:52 AM
Hi Alvin,

I shared all I know on the subject.  Hopefully someone with your version/edition with RedSDK installed can be of some help.

Alvin Gregorio

November 21, 2019, 09:39:36 AM
What is your Perspective Angle set at?

The behavior in my TurboCAD is more similar to what you are describing here and on your other related thread when I have my Perspective Angle set to as low as it can go.

Alvin Gregorio

November 21, 2019, 09:46:42 AM
Also-- for diagnosis' sake-- maybe try changing your Native Draw back to GDI, if you do in fact currently have RedSDK set as your Native Draw.
You'll probably need to close the TurboCAD program and re-start it, as directed, after making that change.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 21, 2019, 10:17:31 AM

The behavior in my TurboCAD is more similar to what you are describing here and on your other related thread when I have my Perspective Angle set to as low as it can go.

Hi Alvin,

I checked my perspective view and changed it between the lowest setting and the highest setting and it both settings the object perspective shows up as the same. Maybe this setting became broken somewhere.

I've attached some images below:

Perspective 1 shows how in an isometric view the farther from camera wall appears trapezoidial and has been stretched to be the same vertical size as the nearest corner. This is also more clear in perspective 2.

The other reason why I have attached these images is the second problem I came across just now while trying to add text. Notice how in perspective 1 the numbers are all in the places above the boxes. 1-5 have been exploded into vectors, 6-10 are numbers that are just text from the text tool without alteration. Look what happens to the text when I render the object in perspective 2. The text from the tool that has not been exploded is all sent to different locations and displays as the default size rather then the set size. It changed size and location when I render!

November 21, 2019, 10:24:58 AM

Hi Alvin,

I checked my perspective view and changed it between the lowest setting and the highest setting and it both settings the object perspective shows up as the same. Maybe this setting became broken somewhere.

Perspective 1 shows how in an isometric view the farther from camera wall appears trapezoidial and has been stretched to be the same vertical size as the nearest corner. This is also more clear in perspective 2.

The other reason why I have attached these images is the second problem I came across just now while trying to add text. Notice how in perspective 1 the numbers are all in the places above the boxes. 1-5 have been exploded into vectors, 6-10 are numbers that are just text from the text tool without alteration. Look what happens to the text when I render the object in perspective 2. The text from the tool that has not been exploded is all sent to different locations and displays as the default size rather then the set size. It changed size and location when I render!

Yeah, that all sounds/looks pretty crazy.
Are you working in Native Draw=GDI?, or RedSDK?
If RedSDK, does it all behave better when you work in Native Draw=GDI?

Alvin Gregorio

* November 21, 2019, 10:30:16 AM

Hi Alvin,

Yeah, that all sounds/looks pretty crazy.
Are you working in Native Draw=GDI?, or RedSDK?
If RedSDK, does it all behave better when you work in Native Draw=GDI?

Hi Alvin,

At the moment native draw is set to REDSDK. I have just set native draw to GDI and restarted TC. After restart i looks the same...

November 21, 2019, 10:32:03 AM

Hi Alvin,

At the moment native draw is set to REDSDK. I have just set native draw to GDI and restarted TC. After restart i looks the same...

Well... assuming you purchased that RedSDK plug-in from IMSI-Design, I guess its time to contact their Support team.

Alvin Gregorio

November 21, 2019, 10:43:12 AM
For diagnosis' sake, you might try creating a New Drawing-- from Scratch, another installation-provided Template, or Page Setup Wizard (you might need to first change your "New Document From..." in Menu/Options/Program_Setup/General).

Draw a simple Box or something.  Put some Text on it.  Explode half of the Texts.   Set the Camera Properties to Perspective.  See if any or all of the issues replicate (including the fact that changing the Perspective Angle setting doesn't change what is actually displayed).

Alvin Gregorio

November 21, 2019, 10:54:21 AM
Attached is a little Drawing you can try.

Creating this, I was reminded that non-Exploded Text does not show as text in Perspective views; just their bounding-box does.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 21, 2019, 11:39:11 AM
Hi Alvin,

I will try that and report back with what I find.

* November 22, 2019, 04:51:50 AM

Hi Alvin,

Well... assuming you purchased that RedSDK plug-in from IMSI-Design, I guess its time to contact their Support team.

REDSDK was provided by turbocad for free because lightworks was taking too long to render on the lowest detail setting of draft render.

* November 22, 2019, 05:09:41 AM
For diagnosis' sake, you might try creating a New Drawing-- from Scratch, another installation-provided Template, or Page Setup Wizard (you might need to first change your "New Document From..." in Menu/Options/Program_Setup/General).

Draw a simple Box or something.  Put some Text on it.  Explode half of the Texts.   Set the Camera Properties to Perspective.  See if any or all of the issues replicate (including the fact that changing the Perspective Angle setting doesn't change what is actually displayed).

Hi Alvin,

I retested this in a new drawing that was not opened with a template. Result was the same as before. In perspectivive 4 you can see where I positioned the text and in perspective 3 can you see where the text was moved to during a render. Also large rear corner is the same.

I also tried to check the perspective view box as before and ended up with the same Zoom and pan issue as described previously. It doesn't make any sense that changing the perspective view check box would mess with the zoom and cursor panning. I still have to compare the settings between checking the perspective view box and unchecking the perspective view box to see if it somehow alters them by itself.

* November 22, 2019, 05:25:32 AM
I have added my settings for camera properties and Advanced Preferences along with the fact that when I check the perspective view box it does fix the view problem. However as described before even though the advanced preferences have not changed between checking and unchecking the perspective view box the zoom and pan changes as controlled with the + and - magnifier buttons and arrow cursors when the perspective view box is checked and it makes it impossible to draw without using the slow camera movement features of TC. I have also attached the basic shape that I tested this with to show how rendering with text moves it to what I think might be the 0,0,0 coordinate which is in the upper left corner of the box.

November 22, 2019, 07:00:45 AM
If it were me, I'd next do an UnInstall then Re-Install. Not just the RedSDK Plug-in-- the TurboCAD installation.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 22, 2019, 07:26:04 AM
If it were me, I'd next do an UnInstall then Re-Install. Not just the RedSDK Plug-in-- the TurboCAD installation.

Hi Alvin,

I did a fresh installation to clear the unhandled exception error that I had closing the program right before starting this project. One thing that is different from this project and previous projects is that the shape is 8"X6"X1" roughly whereas previous projects I have done have been smaller 3"X4"X1". It could be that I am noticing the perspective part of the problem that I am having more because it is a larger object.

November 22, 2019, 07:59:22 AM

Hi Alvin,

I did a fresh installation to clear the unhandled exception error that I had closing the program right before starting this project. One thing that is different from this project and previous projects is that the shape is 8"X6"X1" roughly whereas previous projects I have done have been smaller 3"X4"X1". It could be that I am noticing the perspective part of the problem that I am having more because it is a larger object.

Hmm.. it's such a head-scratcher... I guess getting TurboCAD's Support team involved is the thing to do.

Alvin Gregorio

November 22, 2019, 08:07:03 AM
Another diagnosis suggestion:

If you do not already have another Windows' User Account on your system, create one.
Access TurboCAD and a problem Drawing, having logged in as that User.

This helped me diagnosis and isolate a major issue I was having with a TurboCAD installation, that prompted me to go into the Registry and delete something (and let TurboCAD re-build it on the next start-up), that repaired the major issue.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 22, 2019, 08:27:29 AM
Unfortunately this would require a system administrator to do. This installation is only installed for one profile...

November 22, 2019, 09:55:05 AM
Unfortunately this would require a system administrator to do. This installation is only installed for one profile...

So-- You cannot run your TurboCAD installation "Run as Administrator"?

That could be the source of the issue right there.

Were you able to install "as Administrator" when you did the initial TurboCAD and RedSDK installations and/or the Re-Installs?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:08:28 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 22, 2019, 10:19:56 AM
I am set up as an administrator but did not give any other accounts access to TC when I installed...

November 22, 2019, 10:41:20 AM
I am set up as an administrator but did not give any other accounts access to TC when I installed...

So, you could, technically, set up another User Account-- for example MicheliDE-2-- and give that User permission to use TurboCAD.  Right?

Also, when you run TurboCAD, have you tried the option of right-clicking on its icon or however it is that you Start it up, and select the option "Run as Administrator"?
______
Just trying to run through all the things that I would try to do, if the issue were occurring with my installation on my system.

Alvin Gregorio

November 22, 2019, 11:04:07 AM
REDSDK was provided by turbocad for free because lightworks was taking too long to render on the lowest detail setting of draft render.

I think the above provides a clue.  That your TurboCAD installation on your system had issues even prior to the RedSDK installation.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 22, 2019, 12:02:32 PM
Hi Alvin,

I reinstalled after the problems I was having with light works I actually tried installing TC 4 different types when I was having problems with light works and video card drivers. Redsdk helped with the slow render issues 14 seconds to 1 second for render. I'm not 100% sure that redsdk is what has caused this strange anomaly with the perspective default and zoom and cursors when the perspective view is checked because I have never made a model of this size before. Perhaps not having perspective view checked  is not as noticeable in smaller models.

November 22, 2019, 12:22:10 PM
Hi Alvin,

I reinstalled after the problems I was having with light works I actually tried installing TC 4 different types when I was having problems with light works and video card drivers. Redsdk helped with the slow render issues 14 seconds to 1 second for render. I'm not 100% sure that redsdk is what has caused this strange anomaly with the perspective default and zoom and cursors when the perspective view is checked because I have never made a model of this size before. Perhaps not having perspective view checked  is not as noticeable in smaller models.

Video Card.  Perhaps there is something in the video card settings that can help resolve your list of issues*.

• Perspective appearance does not change as should when Perspective Angle is changed considerably.
  • When in Perspective View, Text appears not in location in which the are actually placed**.
  • When in Perspective View, the + and - (Zoom In and Zoom Out) icon commands do not function as they should.
  • When in Perspective View, movement via the "mouse" and the arrow keys does not function as it should.
  • other?

**I'm curious, when Selected, if the Text Position is reported correctly in the Inspector Bar when this occurs.  3D_Selector_Properties/Inspector_Bar=World CS.  Is it solely appearance, or do they momentarily actually move.

Alvin Gregorio

November 22, 2019, 12:33:34 PM
Also:  What version/edition of TurboCAD is having these issues?

Please try to replicate it in another version, most current to the one in which you are experiencing these issues.

Alvin Gregorio

November 22, 2019, 12:53:38 PM
Just for the heck of it, Turn Off Zoom In/Out Centralize in Advanced Preferences.
See if that does anything.  Shouldn't... but who knows.  (definitely shouldn't resolve the Text location appearance thing)

Alvin Gregorio

November 22, 2019, 01:41:51 PM
Have we tried UnInstalling RedSDK, and not re-Installing.
See which of the issues still occur.  To me, the Text moving (in appearance, or in actuality) thing is the largest issue-- if we fix that, we should fix other things.

Alvin Gregorio

November 22, 2019, 02:03:56 PM
HyperLink to Quoted Post

Hi Alvin,

I retested this in a new drawing that was not opened with a template. Result was the same as before. In perspectivive 4 you can see where I positioned the text and in perspective 3 can you see where the text was moved to during a render. Also large rear corner is the same.

I also tried to check the perspective view box as before and ended up with the same Zoom and pan issue as described previously. It doesn't make any sense that changing the perspective view check box would mess with the zoom and cursor panning. I still have to compare the settings between checking the perspective view box and unchecking the perspective view box to see if it somehow alters them by itself.

I find it interesting (and perhaps telling?) that in the screen-capture (Thumbnail above) the FPS is 0.0
I know almost nothing about RedSDK, but that doesn't seem right.

Does everyone else get that occurrence with a Draft Render of a simple Object, using RedSDK?
______
Also, Dean, Can you tell us about your Video Card and its driver.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:40:41 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio