TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

compound 3D spline broken in 2020
Read 143 times
* July 01, 2020, 01:29:34 AM
In 2018 and previous versions, one could associate (compound profile) both the profile, and the 3D spline with a sweep. Thus allowing size of profile and node positions of spline to be altered. And the sweep would be updated.

Well. in 2020 (and 2019), IMSI seemed to have deliberately broken the tool. So that only the profile can be associated.  I say 'deliberate' as there is now a pop up a message saying it cannot be done.  What is silly, is that if the profile and spline are associated with a sweep in 2018.  Then saved and opened in 2020 the association remains fully functional. so its not a limitation of the tool. 

Anyone know if it is My Error.  And they have just changed how the compound profile association is accomplished. Or if not, have a reason why it was broken. Or If IMSI were informed (beta forum) that they broke something that was working fine.

Thanks
Andy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 01:33:47 AM by Andy H »

* July 01, 2020, 09:05:18 AM
Yeah, it's broken. What's more, late versions won't allow 3D Splines to be used as lofting profiles when 'Use compound profile" is enabled, while it's no problem in v2017.

Henry H

* July 01, 2020, 07:34:07 PM
I haven't seen TC go backwards before and it's worrying.  IMSI's other CAD line, PunchCAD/Shark has had new problems, shortcomings and apparent retrogressions in its last two versions as well.  New features like the higher-end interop don't compensate for the loss of existing capabilities, and having those sneaked away without mention while you trumpet new features in the changelogs is not sustainable, IMSI.  If those capabilities aren't restored and all other historic capabilities maintained, I'll not be upgrading again or recommending.  Not as good in parts as two-year-old versions can only be due to development inadequacy and/or sharp practise.  I can't accept either.

* July 01, 2020, 11:48:06 PM
Sometimes I think Tc was bought by a bigger cad company, Who intend to let it die.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

July 01, 2020, 11:51:36 PM
Im stuck with just my mobile phone and no pc atm, a little while back I posted after Murray posted in "TurboCAD 2021 New Features Suggestions" reply #69.

Seems that we now found the reason why 2020pp wont extrude 3D lines etc, this is a backward step that needs to be repaired urgently. I hope this is reported in the beta forum.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

July 02, 2020, 01:07:38 AM
In 2018 and previous versions, one could associate (compound profile) both the profile, and the 3D spline with a sweep. Thus allowing size of profile and node positions of spline to be altered. And the sweep would be updated.

Well. in 2020 (and 2019), IMSI seemed to have deliberately broken the tool. So that only the profile can be associated.  I say 'deliberate' as there is now a pop up a message saying it cannot be done.  What is silly, is that if the profile and spline are associated with a sweep in 2018.  Then saved and opened in 2020 the association remains fully functional. so its not a limitation of the tool. 

Anyone know if it is My Error.  And they have just changed how the compound profile association is accomplished. Or if not, have a reason why it was broken. Or If IMSI were informed (beta forum) that they broke something that was working fine.

Thanks
Andy.

Reported.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* July 02, 2020, 03:22:31 AM
Thanks Henry and all.

It really is bad form, to ruin a tool that has been working well for lot of years.  (I could only test back to v21 on this computer). 

Ah well.  At least there is a 'sort of' workaround.  By importing one from 2018, and altering it in 2020.  One nice thing is after importing 2018, if one breaks the sweep by moving nodes too muck, like causing self intersection. It remembers.  So tweaking the nodes again re-makes the compound sweep.   Same goes from compound 3d spline loft.