TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

3D shapes that don't lose dimensions when rotated?
Read 100 times
* May 23, 2020, 06:04:49 PM
I don't even know how to search for this ... if it's been answered please point me to it and I apologize if this is a duplicate.

When I do 3D shapes I generally use the primitives, and almost always a box, because it's simple. A problem I run into though is that if I then rotate that shape it no longer has the size I originally gave it, but now its size is the rectangle that bounds the rotated box.

For example, a 5.5"W x 8'L x 1"H box rotated 45° along the Z-axis is no longer that but is now a box that is 5' 11-49/64" square.

But in the real world, if I rotate an 8' 1x6 45° I still have an 8' 1x6, it's just at a 45° angle to perpendiculars.

Is there any other shape I should be using that still provides the true real-world dimension regardless of rotation? Or should I be doing something other than rotating the 3D box?

Where this becomes a problem is if I want to extend that 8' 1x6, or cut it. I can't say "I need another foot" and simply add 1', I have to do math.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

* May 23, 2020, 06:18:38 PM
In Selector 3D Properties, set both Extents and Inspector Bar to "User CS." Set "Workplane by Entity" (Ctrl+Alt+G), designating the rotated object as that entity. Now when you select that object, the Size fields in the IBar will agree with its actual dimensions.

Henry H

* May 23, 2020, 08:11:49 PM
Have a glance at the selection info palette while your box is selected, the primitive's dimensions are properties that don't change with orientation, can be modified in the palette itself and which aren't dependent on coordinate system, which doesn't have to be altered. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:29:43 PM by murray dickinson »

* May 24, 2020, 07:26:42 AM
"Have a glance at the selection info palette while your box is selected, the primitive's dimensions are properties that don't change with orientation, can be modified in the palette itself and which aren't dependent on coordinate system, which doesn't have to be altered."

Fantastic! I use that palette all the time, had it open while I was writing this question and didn't even look to see that. Wow. Forest and trees! Or some such metaphor.

Thanks to you and to Henry.