TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

How to Set Points at Angle and Distance in 2d Drawing
Read 524 times
* March 26, 2020, 03:29:50 PM
This seems like it should be pretty simple, but the only ways I can figure out how to do it are kind of cumbersome.

I'm setting a transit up on a baseline and locating points by turning angles from the baseline and measuring respective distances.

I want to plot the resulting points in a 2d drawing, using TC 2018.  I can do it with a series of angular, perpendicular and parallel construction lines.  Then erasing the construction lines.  Or, by drawing a line that extends an angle and distance - and then erasing the line after I establish the point.  Not difficult to do, but seems cumbersome for a program with all the TC features.

Is there a simpler way to do this?  I have a vague recollection of my DesignCad program allowing me to set a point at an angle and distance.  Can't find such a feature  in TC.

* March 26, 2020, 03:49:03 PM
Down on Inspectorbar, open the selector property and make sure they are checked.
I dont believe you can do it with Points, but it will work wit Polyline in example.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

March 26, 2020, 04:29:57 PM
Maybe try inserting Point Objects, while in Relative Coordinates mode.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 26, 2020, 05:29:45 PM
Polylines are drawn with successive relative angular vectors.  You could export the polyline's vertices to .xyz file with TC Coordinates palette and use Ruby to import that file as x,y,z points. 

* March 26, 2020, 05:55:41 PM
Read about Polar Coordinates in the Help file.

Henry H

* March 26, 2020, 06:17:56 PM
There's delta distance and delta angle the last two items on the inspector bar.  Draw your first point, select it and use those fields with "make copy", the selection focus moves with the copy, so tab successively through into the fields and re-enter.  Takes 19 tabs to cycle through for full IB, but you can go to the selector 2D or 3D properties and pare down to only those two fields uncheck all of the other option fields, and then tab takes you straight back into the distance field after enter, like you'd draw a polyline. It's repetitive vector copy, really.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:26:06 PM by murray dickinson »

* March 26, 2020, 06:23:37 PM
This seems like it should be pretty simple, but the only ways I can figure out how to do it are kind of cumbersome.

I'm setting a transit up on a baseline and locating points by turning angles from the baseline and measuring respective distances.

I want to plot the resulting points in a 2d drawing, using TC 2018.  I can do it with a series of angular, perpendicular and parallel construction lines.  Then erasing the construction lines.  Or, by drawing a line that extends an angle and distance - and then erasing the line after I establish the point.  Not difficult to do, but seems cumbersome for a program with all the TC features.

Is there a simpler way to do this?  I have a vague recollection of my DesignCad program allowing me to set a point at an angle and distance.  Can't find such a feature  in TC.

If I'm correct in inferring that the transit remains fixed, then the Polar Coordinates mode will do the job. I'd never played with that before my previous post and I had to experiment a bit to learn how to use it, even with "help" from Help.

Henry H

* March 26, 2020, 06:44:37 PM
The OP refers to baseline, you refer to transit, Henry.  You think the vectors refer to a single origin?  If that's the case, it can be done with vector copy set to repeat, place a point on the origin and leave the cursor hovering over the origin, invoke pickup of the point's CoE with the E SEKE, tab through distance and angle IB fields, enter, repeat. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:52:26 PM by murray dickinson »

* March 26, 2020, 06:51:26 PM
After some stumbling around with the Help feature, Polar Coordinates looks like it will do the trick.  I can relocate the origin to the point where my transit was set and mark points at angles and distances just like I measured them on the ground.  Then go to the next transit setup point and repeat.

I don't think it was called Polar Coordinates in DesignCad, but this does the trick.  Thanks!

* March 26, 2020, 07:07:59 PM
You don't need to be in Polar Coords.

Lets say you want a point 3 units at 45 degrees from 0.
> in absolute Coords.
> select the point tool
> Shift Tab to staus bar
> type 3 in X field
> Tab to Y field and Type >45
> hit enter

In Design CAd it's called Point Polar and comes with a few more options.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (no Redsdk plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

* March 26, 2020, 07:19:31 PM
The OP refers to baseline, you refer to transit, Henry.  You think the vectors refer to a single origin?  If that's the case, it can be done with vector copy set to repeat, place a point on the origin and leave the cursor hovering over the origin, invoke pickup of the point's CoE with the E SEKE, tab through distance and angle IB fields, enter, repeat.

That's good, Murray. I never have Delta Distance and Delta Angle enabled on the IBar and I'd forgotten that these options existed.

Henry H

* March 27, 2020, 08:54:29 AM
You don't need to be in Polar Coords.

Lets say you want a point 3 units at 45 degrees from 0.
> in absolute Coords.
> select the point tool
> Shift Tab to staus bar
> type 3 in X field
> Tab to Y field and Type >45
> hit enter

In Design CAd it's called Point Polar and comes with a few more options.

When I do this, the X and Y fields are set for distances.  How do I make the Y field recognize an angle entry?

* March 27, 2020, 09:17:29 AM
Try this…

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* March 27, 2020, 10:07:16 AM
Try this…

Oops.  I missed the ">" in front of the Y entry.  Yep, that works also.

* March 29, 2020, 12:31:24 PM
Try this…

Oops.  I missed the ">" in front of the Y entry.  Yep, that works also.

This technique worked great!  My first backsight was parallel to the X axis of the WCS, so I was able to turn the angles directly from my transit readings. 

My second backsight was at an angle to the WCS X axis.  After a bit of reading I figured out how to use Workplane by 3 Points to establish a UCS X axis to again turn the angles directly from my transit readings.

Thanks for the advice.

* March 29, 2020, 04:03:46 PM
You can also use @ in those boxes to make a value relative to the previous point instead of absolute.

March 29, 2020, 07:21:53 PM
You can also use @ in those boxes to make a value relative to the previous point instead of absolute.

Cool.  And Useful.  As Henry said-- the trick is to remember to remember to use these Murray's tips.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 29, 2020, 07:58:46 PM
That's not mine or TC!  When I saw Dean's and John's tip, it reminded me that that's how it works in AC, which I haven't used seriously in nearly 20 years, but the @ thing is also AC, which TC mimics, and it worked in TC's old TurboLISP command line in V4, 5, 6.  There's probably a lot of forgotten lore.