TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

cutaway hatch turbocad version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition
Read 1320 times
* January 08, 2020, 04:04:01 PM
Hello,

I am trying to add a hatch on an object to show it is a cutaway. I managed to create a polyline over the cutaway and added a hatch. Unfortunately, the hatch will not show up in hidden line render. Is there another way to create a hatch to show a slice through an object.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 01:59:18 PM by triumdh »

January 08, 2020, 05:04:12 PM
Hello,

I am trying to add a hatch on an object to show it is a cutaway. I managed to create a polyline over the cutaway and added a hatch. Unfortunately, the hatch will not show up in hidden line render. Is there another way to create a hatch to show a slice through an object.

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried setting, in Camera_Properties/Rendering/Hidden_Line, the Foreground_Wireframe option Nonrenderable_objects to "yes".
Downside to that is that any other 2D entities in the drawing which Layer is set to Visible (or included in the Paperspace Viewport, if that's what you're doing) will also show-- unless you are using RedSDK as your Native Draw and have RedSDK's Transparacy setting set to 0.
________
I think there is a Tool in recent versions of the Pro and/or Platinum editions that helps with this.  I think.  Maybe it's in the Drafting Palette.  Maybe someone can help me remember what Tool/feature I am thinking of.  What version/edition are you using? (e.g.: "2019/Deluxe")
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:06:53 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 08, 2020, 05:14:16 PM
Explode the hatched Polyline twice. Select the hatch and right-click to open the Local Menu. Select "Properties" and go to the Pen page. Enable "World" Scaling and specify a small nonzero Width. Go to the 3D page and specify a small Thickness (say .01"). The hatch is now a 3D object that will be visible when rendered.

Henry H

January 08, 2020, 05:55:30 PM
Is something like below what you have going on and are wanting to achieve?
Maybe it'd be better if you attached/uploaded the drawing file so that someone(s) can see what you're working with and offer the best advice.

Again, version and edition of TurboCAD matter for specific advice.  What version and edition are you using?  (e.g.: version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition)

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 09, 2020, 02:12:46 PM
Thank you all,
I am using version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition on Windows 7.

Alvin Gregorio, as you pointed out in your answer showing nonrenderable objects leads to more issues than it solves.
Henry H, The hatch disappeared on the first explode with your method.
Alvin Gregorio, I am trying to create a hatch on a cutaway object. This is how solidworks achieves it. https://help.solidworks.com/2015/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Assembly_Cutaway_Views.htm
It is one of the fundamentals of technical drawing but appears forgotten by TurboCAD.

* January 09, 2020, 02:35:12 PM
Thank you all,
I am using version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition on Windows 7.

Alvin Gregorio, as you pointed out in your answer showing nonrenderable objects leads to more issues than it solves.
Henry H, The hatch disappeared on the first explode with your method.
Alvin Gregorio, I am trying to create a hatch on a cutaway object. This is how solidworks achieves it. https://help.solidworks.com/2015/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Assembly_Cutaway_Views.htm
It is one of the fundamentals of technical drawing but appears forgotten by TurboCAD.

It shouldn't disappear as a result of exploding. Work in Wireframe mode until you've gone through all the steps in my post. (Works for me.)

Henry H

* January 09, 2020, 03:19:33 PM
Maybe it'd be better if you attached/uploaded the drawing file so that someone(s) can see what you're working with and offer the best advice.

Again, version and edition of TurboCAD matter for specific advice.  What version and edition are you using?  (e.g.: version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition)

Thanks for the reply,
I am using version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition on Windows 7. Your attached drawing has the cutaway hatching effect I am trying to create (although the hatch has to be black in my case). Could you provide the steps taken to create that drawing?

* January 09, 2020, 03:23:11 PM
It shouldn't disappear as a result of exploding. Work in Wireframe mode until you've gone through all the steps in my post. (Works for me.)

Henry H

I was in wireframe mode and the hatching disappeared for me. Which version of TC are you using?

January 09, 2020, 03:23:42 PM
My most-current version of TurboCAD is 21 (year 2014).

I could have sworn they came out with something that does this cutaway and hatching thing in a more recent version.  Like in version-2015 or something like that...  I remember seeing it in the marketing; something that looks like that anyway...

Can someone verify what it is that I'm thinking of.  It might be in the Drafting Palette.

Alvin Gregorio

January 09, 2020, 03:31:08 PM

Your attached drawing has the cutaway hatching effect I am trying to create (although the hatch has to be black in my case). Could you provide the steps taken to create that drawing?

I did it similar to how that Solidworks article seems to describe.  I actually cut away a part of (a copy of) the model.
Then, in a Paperspace Viewport, Dimetric View, Hidden Line Render, I Exploded that once.  Then I used Pick_Point_Hatching for the section Hatch.

But I think in the newer versions of TurboCAD there is a less convoluted way.  Maybe in Drafting Palette; MAYBE via using an Architectural (believe it) Sectional tool.

Any chance you can share/upload your drawing file so that the experts can see what you have going on.  Maybe make some notes on it as to what you are trying to cut away and hatch.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 09, 2020, 03:35:27 PM

Henry H

I was in wireframe mode and the hatching disappeared for me. Which version of TC are you using?

2019.0.30.0 Platinum 64-bit. Here's a very simple demo drawing and screenshot...

Henry H

January 09, 2020, 04:30:25 PM
Attached shows yet another method/procedure.

I started with Brian Carter's "Engine" sample file located in a V21PP Samples sub-folder.
I didn't take the time and effort to detail the Layers and Property Presets and Styles and all that stuff as I would if I were doing this professionally (i.e.: getting paid).  I just rushed it.
____
>In Modelspace (MS), I used the standard "Section" tool, located in the 3D Tools menu/toolbars. I used the Closed Polyline option.
>That created a new entity.
>In Paperspace (PS), I inserted 3 Viewports, all Hidden Line Render; was selective about the Layers Visible for them.
>One of the Viewports is totally overlapping another-- bottom/left; this is a technique I use sometimes for presentation purposes.

>The larger-scale Viewport-- top/right- being sure it was Hidden Line first, I Exploded it once (I'm working in Native_Draw=GDI).
>That created a Group.  I went into "Edit Group Contents" (via Edit menu), and inserted Pick Point Hatching.
>There were a couple of tiny lines resulting from the sectioning that I didn't like, so I drew over them with white lines.
>Closed out of Edit Group.

>Made a few more editions for presentation purposes.

[EDIT: Whoops-- The image I posted is pretty large; right-click on it and choose "Open in New Tab" or something like that...]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:35:20 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

January 09, 2020, 05:54:37 PM
In the attached, I did an even different method.  Since no one has yet offered anything, I guess I was wrong about the more-current versions having a Tool/Feature for doing this cutaway/section-hatch thing.

In the attached, I did the sectioning and hatching in Modelspace.

>I created the initial Section object as I did previously.  And dragged that new entity off to the side.
>I created another closed polyline to use for the negative of that section on the original entities.  To create the thing(s) you don't see in the first Section object.
>That new Section object (the upper corner of the engine) is a Group (that's what the Section Tool automatically does).  I went into that Edit Group Contents, and did a Section on the faces I wanted hatched.  I used Section by 3 Points, for that.
>I copied those resultant 2D Section objects; exited out of that Group Edit; and pasted those 2D Section objects and moved them into place on my first Section object (the top parts of the engine with the corner cut away.)
>In Paperspace, inserted a Viewport, making sure I only had the Layers I wanted visible set to show.

The reason I went through a bunch of steps on this revision and the previous revision I shared is because this engine is fairly complex, so for a cutaway hatching, I wanted to be able to just use Pick_Point_Hatching.
____
Again, (pride) disclaimer:  I made very little efforts to better organize and format this drawing file.  There's a lot I would have done differently if I had drawn the initial drawing and it was for reals.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 09, 2020, 06:09:22 PM
Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Please post the .tcw so we can see just where the hatch should be (among other things).

Henry H

January 09, 2020, 07:07:05 PM
Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Please post the .tcw so we can see just where the hatch should be (among other things).

Henry H

Wow.  I missed the essence of the original question of this thread entirely.  Whoops...

Oh well, I got a lot of practice and had to come up with some new ways that I've never done.
______
Yeah triumdh, Henry and the others will need your drawing file.  It should be something pretty easy and quick.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 09, 2020, 07:37:57 PM
I believe that triumdh may be looking for the Dynamic Cut Plane tools that came out in 2015. Look in the menu "View / Dynamic Cut Plane" or "Workspace / Dynamic Cut Plane" (Classic configuration).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* January 10, 2020, 04:29:54 AM
Hello,

Thanks for any help.

As Alvin and Henry have try'd to tell you, in LW Hidden line, check Nonrendable, set the brush/ hatch and background color if you want and you should have it.
Attached show HL render with brush and color.
But maybe also John R's suggestion on Cut Plane is what you want, if you have that tool.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* January 10, 2020, 07:39:43 AM
Hi,
I am trying to create a cutaway crosshatch to be shown in Suppress Hidden Lines mode. The cutaway crosshatch is used to signify a section of an object. If I use the render nonrenderable object checkbox I can see the cross hatch but also see other nonrenderable objects that I don't want. I created the attached drawing by manually creating each line and giving it a depth. I was hoping for a more productive method (eg. a tool and a few mouse clicks) to create cutaway crosshatches in turbocad version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition.

Thank you for any help.

January 10, 2020, 07:59:32 AM
Hi,
I am trying to create a cutaway crosshatch to be shown in Suppress Hidden Lines mode. The cutaway crosshatch is used to signify a section of an object. If I use the render nonrenderable object checkbox I can see the cross hatch but also see other nonrenderable objects that I don't want. I created the attached drawing by manually creating each line and giving it a depth. I was hoping for a more productive method (eg. a tool and a few mouse clicks) to create cutaway crosshatches in turbocad version-2019 64-bit; Platinum edition.

Thank you for any help.

Do you need to see this in Model Space? If that is not necessary, why not just add it in paper space for your prints. Create a HL viewport and trace the area to hatch/fill, or explode the HL viewport and pick point hatch where desired.

January 10, 2020, 08:41:49 AM
In Paperspace-

>Make a copy of the Viewport
>Set that copy Viewport to Hidden Line
>Explode that copy Viewport once.
>Insert Pick_Point_Hatching, clicking within the boundaries of that isometric view closed area you want hatched.
>Change the resultant entity's-- the Group that has two polyline (an outline polyline, and a polyline that has the hatch/brush)-- Reference Point to a Vertex.
>Pick up and move that thing, Vertex-snapping it into place on the original Viewport.
>Delete/Clear the copied Viewport.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:26:46 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* January 10, 2020, 09:05:55 AM
Triumdh says his hatch disappears when exploded. I cannot make that happen.

Henry H

January 10, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
Explode the hatched Polyline twice. Select the hatch and right-click to open the Local Menu. Select "Properties" and go to the Pen page. Enable "World" Scaling and specify a small nonzero Width. Go to the 3D page and specify a small Thickness (say .01"). The hatch is now a 3D object that will be visible when rendered.

Henry H

One of things* I don't like about this method-- though it is a quick and dirty tip/trick-- is:

The Hatch lines won't print fine and crisp and clear.
I have my Display/Device_Pen_Width_when_zero_value_is_used value usually set to 1/300" (because, as Don Cheke once told me, that is about as thin as most commercial printers can print; and it's good enough).  That means my Brush_Patterns/Hatches print to that (if the printing company's printers are of that quality).

If we use Henry's (useful) tip/trick, when printed, there will be two lines right next to each other.  Isometric and other 3D views will make that appear even worse.
Even if we now set those result-of-Explosion lines to 0 or 1/300" or something thin, two lines right next to each other won't print thin/crisp.
_________
*The other thing I don't like about the tip/trick is that it can really add to a drawing file size and slow it down while working with the file.

Alvin Gregorio

January 10, 2020, 09:09:49 AM
Triumdh says his hatch disappears when exploded. I cannot make that happen.

Henry H

I cannot either.  It's something particular to what they did in that file, I'm sure.
But need the drawing file to be able to diagnosis and instruct.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 11, 2020, 09:31:52 AM
In Paperspace-

>Make a copy of the Viewport
>Set that copy Viewport to Hidden Line
>Explode that copy Viewport once.
>Insert Pick_Point_Hatching, clicking with the boundaries of that isometric view closed area you want hatched.
>Change the resultant entity's-- the Group that has two polyline (an outline polyline, and a polyline that has the hatch/brush)-- Reference Point to a Vertex.
>Pick up and move that thing, Vertex-snapping it into place on the original Viewport.
>Delete/Clear the copied Viewport.

Thank you all for the workarounds. I'm accepting that there isn't a quick way to accomplish this. Eg. click a tool and select the cutaway face to be viewed from any angle in hidden line mode. Maybe in future versions this will be addressed.

January 11, 2020, 10:18:26 AM
Thank you all for the workarounds. I'm accepting that there isn't a quick way to accomplish this. Eg. click a tool and select the cutaway face to be viewed from any angle in hidden line mode. Maybe in future versions this will be addressed.

IMSI-Design/TurboCAD has gone back-and-forth on the inclusion of RedSDK (drawing engine?... I'm not a hundred-percent certain what to call it).
When RedSDK is included-- either with the version or as a purchased Add-On-- we have the option of setting Hidden Line Transparency to 0%; thereby creating the Hidden Line visual style, with the "Nonrenderable objects" option ticked, and everything that is behind the Hidden Line rendered objects in the view are not shown.

With that, we can use the Section Tool technique on that section face (Section/By_Workplane) that I shared previously, and achieve the desired result.

Alvin Gregorio

January 11, 2020, 10:30:50 AM

Also, don't forget about the Drafting Palette.  The TurboCAD Product Comparison Chart says it is available in the 2019 Platinum version/edition.

TurboCAD's Drafting Palette is a very useful tool for creating projections/presentations of 3D modeled objects.
Drafting Palette can make all sorts of Sectional_Views/Sections (the standard ones supplied; and the ability to make custom section-cut lines) and automatically Hatch the section plane.  It can do Hidden Line, not Hidden Line, customize Properties, ...

TurboCAD's Drafting Palette feature is a very powerful and useful tool.  It's probably just as or almost as powerful and useful as SolidWorks' tools/features, just different.

Alvin Gregorio

* January 16, 2020, 03:10:33 AM
Is there another way to create a hatch to show a slice through an object.

Subtract a solid from a copy of the part instead of using a section or dynamic cut plane, create an HL viewport or drafting palette view from that and hatch the faces as you want in paper space.  If you use compound profile to create the virtual solid for subtraction, the cutaway can be adjusted as you want, 2D and 3D.  IMO it's more obvious and less fussy than either section or cut plane.
If the cutaway's through more than one solid, use the "Don't remove the subtrahend" check option at the bottom of the drawing window for each solid except the last.  Adjusting the compound profile will amend the subtraction for each solid in the one profile update. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:14:52 AM by murray dickinson »