TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

TC2019 crashing opening tcw file
Read 108 times
* November 10, 2019, 01:35:44 PM
Hi,

I went back to work on a project I haven't worked on in a while. TC2019 is crashing while trying to open one of the files. I attached one, will someone see if they can open it?

What I find annoying is that a program should not crash trying to open a file. If it can't, it should just stop and give some sort of message on why it things it can't open it.

Thanks
Joel

* November 10, 2019, 01:59:43 PM
Hi Joel, I had no problem opening it with 2019 pro.

John Kampen

Win 10 - 2018 Pro Platinum
Win 10 - 2019 Pro Platinum

* November 10, 2019, 02:14:40 PM
Thanks, I think my installation of TC2019 platinum corrupted itself again. Just for grins, I made a quick drawing, a simple cylinder. TC crashed trying to save it. I rebooted and tried again, saved it, but crashed trying to re open it.

This will be about the 5th time I have to do this. I don't know why I seem to have constant issues with this program. Tends to reinforce the hate part of my like/hate relationship with TC in general.

Thanks for checking. Seems it's a problem on my end.

Joel

* November 10, 2019, 02:42:34 PM
When F6 drawing is NOT open, is there a like "F6.tcw.dwl" file in that folder it's saved, in case delete it as that can be the issue.
Else, delete or re-name your built-in folder when TC is OFF, it will rebuild itself when start TC again, but then you will need to set cfg(UI), template, again and you may need to re render preview etc on materials, etc., and material part is boring ;)

As you already think it's something at your end that make this happen, and it is about to figure out what.
Normally i would say do a repair before delet the built-in as then you dont need to reset your cfg (UI) ……
This is not a situation that this will normally fix, but maybe worth a try, as there is something on your system that is messed up

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* November 10, 2019, 04:11:57 PM
There are no leftover working files. In any case, TC should not crash opening a file no matter what!

I uninstalled and did a clean install of the whole shabang, A file I just saved, crashes when I try to open it later.

For you guys that use this program for a living, not sure how you get along with it. My issues are constant, this file issue is completely unacceptable. Instead of making any progress on a project, I've been trying to just get hings to not crash opening a stupid file.

I did a complete removal of my old installation, cleaning out all the various directories things are placed in. Re installed the latest version as admin and re installed all my plugins. I had to load and quit TC about 5 times before my config setups actually stuck. First file I opened crashed TC. Restart, and another file would open fine. Made a new quick drawing, it saved. re started TC and that new drawing crashed.

I'm giving up for the night, this has exceed my tolerance for aggravation.

Thanks for trying to help

Joel

* November 10, 2019, 04:58:38 PM
A .dwl in your folder when TC is off is not a working file, but a leftover from a previous crash, it is there to prevent more than one person work on a file at the same time, so if TC crash that file can be left behind, next time you start that file TC will remake it and by that you can have 2 dwl with same name and that can do all kind of "funny" stuff with TC.
If you open TC after a crash, go to file for select the file you was working on, there can be 2 in there with the same name, and the one at the top is the *.dwl, not working as it's not a *.tcw

Have you tryd to open a "New from scratch" file and used "File/ Extract" from, and then selected the problem file to copy everything over from old to the new ??

Did you try the built-in route ??

Did you tryd a Repair ??

What is a clean install, did you un-install and then re-install ??
or
Did you uninstall, go the appdata route and delete everyting about TC 2019 in there (1 folder, incl the built in),then  go to document and delete TC 2019 folder there, be aware that you maybe will have something in there that you want to keep, like drawings, cfg, symbols etc. etc, so copy that out of TC before you delete anything at all.
Close your PC down, wait 10-15 sec and open it again ( Cold start) and then re install TC ??
Then you will have so clean install as possible without touching the register, and only then.

I use TC partly for living, and have nearly no issue at all, i did have a bug in 2018, that was only in metric system, and maybe only in my part of the metric world, as we have a characterset that only 2 country use, but it was solved by SoftDev after some crazy time's where i nearly rip the pc apart in a way to get rid of it :)
And i have seen some issues if connecting to many Blocks to window's and door's, it works but sometimes i need to restart my pc to let go some memory.
Except from that, normally i am the cause if any problem ;)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* November 10, 2019, 05:38:54 PM
My comments in the quote below.

A .dwl in your folder when TC is off is not a working file, but a leftover from a previous crash, it is there to prevent more than one person work on a file at the same time, so if TC crash that file can be left behind, next time you start that file TC will remake it and by that you can have 2 dwl with same name and that can do all kind of "funny" stuff with TC.
If you open TC after a crash, go to file for select the file you was working on, there can be 2 in there with the same name, and the one at the top is the *.dwl, not working as it's not a *.tcw

There are no leftover dwl files, seems TC crashes before it even partially loads the file.

Have you tryd to open a "New from scratch" file and used "File/ Extract" from, and then selected the problem file to copy everything over from old to the new ??

I will give this a try

Did you try the built-in route ??

What do you mean?

Did you tryd a Repair ??

What is a clean install, did you un-install and then re-install ??
or
Did you uninstall, go the appdata route and delete everyting about TC 2019 in there (1 folder, incl the built in),then  go to document and delete TC 2019 folder there, be aware that you maybe will have something in there that you want to keep, like drawings, cfg, symbols etc. etc, so copy that out of TC before you delete anything at all.
Close your PC down, wait 10-15 sec and open it again ( Cold start) and then re install TC ??
Then you will have so clean install as possible without touching the register, and only then.

I uninstalled and deleted everything. My projects are saved in their own directory. Nothing else is an issue.
I use revo uninstaller and then CCleaner to clean everything out. Then a reboot before doing the fresh install.

I use TC partly for living, and have nearly no issue at all, i did have a bug in 2018, that was only in metric system, and maybe only in my part of the metric world, as we have a characterset that only 2 country use, but it was solved by SoftDev after some crazy time's where i nearly rip the pc apart in a way to get rid of it :)
And i have seen some issues if connecting to many Blocks to window's and door's, it works but sometimes i need to restart my pc to let go some memory.
Except from that, normally i am the cause if any problem ;)

I always assume I am the problem, but some things should just not happen.

Torfinn

* November 10, 2019, 06:24:36 PM
Here's a tidbit I missed, I don't even open the file yet. In the file selector, I single click on the bad file ( not double click to open ) and the program crashes. With good files, I can click on the file and see the preview, click on another and see the preview, click on a bad one, game over.

* November 10, 2019, 06:29:46 PM
I also just tried the extract from method, as soon as I select ( not open ) the file, TC crashes.

I can open the file fine in notepad or a HEX editor.

I'm not so sure it's not a Windows 10 issue, if I try to rename the file, the rename hangs. What I don't know is if TC mangled the file or not. If the file was stuck open some how, windows would complain that the file is open in another app.

* November 10, 2019, 06:54:31 PM
I found this in the event log,

Faulting application name: tcw26.exe, version: 26.0.37.4, time stamp: 0x5d31084d
Faulting module name: CATMMediaPixelImage.dll_unloaded, version: 6.419.3.16352, time stamp: 0x5854acda
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000037c00
Faulting process id: 0x1af0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5981f0b1622d4
Faulting application path: E:\TC2019\Program64\tcw26.exe
Faulting module path: CATMMediaPixelImage.dll
Report Id: ebb747c7-ba7c-4d82-8971-ae59c0aa5877
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

* Today at 01:13:42 AM
I have no idea what the log say :)
But CATMMediaPixelImage.dll have something to do with Acis and are inside Programfiles.
C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCW2019\Program64\Acis\CATMMediaPixelImage.dll

Built-in you can typical find in;
C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD 2019\Platinum x64\Data\Profiles
If you have TC installed in C:\, type in windows Run command Field    %appdata% and it will take you to Roaming, click the route from there, that is your personal setting for TC, so if delete you will need to set up TC again when restart it, New drawing.

Repair are in Windows/ Apps and features, find TC 2019 and Select change or what it is in english, Select Repair when you get the option to do it, a couple of step in.

I attach your drawing with a New name, maybe that will open.

After uninstall and run the programs you did to clean it out
also double check everything is gone, and if not the file i send you work, i would try again same route and also incl, Programfiles, Programfiles (x86), ProgramData.
Be aware that it also is Turbocad in one of this places, not only IMSI\ ….., and then a Cold start, (not restart) and try to install again.

I will also attach that dll if possible in a zip and you can try to replace it if you want first, before full un install, if it's only one file that make problem, i would not replace the dll. if the copy of tcw file work at your place

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* Today at 02:11:20 PM
I tried the version you sent back and it hangs, hang happens as soon I I try to select the file, not even load. Same thing with your copy of the DLL. I think the issue might be a system problem not TC. I am seeing the same issues I had with Alvins file he made for me in another topic. Once a file is "bad" even windows has an issue. If I try to rename it, the process hangs and explorer restarts. Sometimes I can't even delete it and I need to boot Linux to get rid of it.

I will start looking for system issues.

Thanks

Joel