TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Dreaming of KeyShot for TurboCAD
Read 12331 times
May 12, 2020, 11:27:53 AM
Don, I'm curious.
If IMSI do decide oryour dreams come true to go with a "link" to an external rendering program how does that work. I mean, how does KS work with the other package you use and how do you get TC drawings into KS? Maybe you mentioned it,can you explain again. I remember the IMSI idx renditioner plugin for sketchup,you could export from Turbocad in sketchup format.I kinda like an "external" or link plugin to ease up on Turbo's resources.

No problem. I have tried both the SolidWorks and Alibre plugins for KeyShot. Both work the same. Work on your model in your CAD program as usual. When you are at a point you want to start applying materials and look at rendering there is a toolbar/tools that link the CAD program to KeyShot. It has what they call a Live-Link. You can change your model and have it update in KeyShot so it is not a requirement to have finished your modeling before doing so. KeyShot is a separate program so you are doing materials and rendering in KeyShot, but the live link makes it as close to self-contained, like lightworks & red, as can be.

All CAD version, as far as I know, are licenced only to open in KeyShot via the application. If you get the Pro version of KeyShot, you would still send to KeyShot the same way, if you wanted, but you are not limited to that, plus you have a whole host of other options, including functions in the Pro version. I can tell you that the Pro version has many more functions, well worth the cost, but the CAD version would suffice for most users I would think.

When the KS plug-ins are made, they must work with the CAD provider because you don't need to export out in any format. If the same held true for a TC plugin, you would just click sent to KeyShot and programming in the background would dictate how that was done so KS could read it. It would take a bit of experimentation on the part of TC and KS to ensure all files could make it over along with any already applied materials and layers, etc.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:18:31 PM by Don Cheke »

* May 25, 2020, 02:54:19 PM
Thanks for the though explanation, Don

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (NO Redsdk Plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

May 30, 2020, 12:30:43 PM
I am a bit excited about this at the moment and wanted to share it here. I designed this winch with the intention of producing a new TurboCAD tutorial. I did the initial design work in SolidWorks so I could use the constraints/mates offered there to check gear mesh and the like. I then ported the model over to KeyShot for rendering. I hope you like the KeyShot renders. Now I will rebuild the model in TurboCAD and record the sessions as I proceed. The new tutorial will be available in a couple or so weeks from the time of this post. I am extremely excited to get the tutorial produced and available since I believe it offers so much in terms of TurboCAD tool and function usage. It should be a winner if I may say so myself.  P.S. Using the Pro version of KeyShot I was able to set up all five renders and then add them to the render queue and render through the night while I slept. I love the ability to do that!

Please don't comment on the functionality of the winch. It is more about the tools and function in TC than it is about engineering. For me, planetary gears are new to me, so is hydraulics in general and especially hydraulic controls. From my research, I doubt mine would function well, but the general principles seem legitimate. I also think it has lots of neat components, which always adds nicely to a tutorial. It is probably going to be a longer tutorial of mine based on the number of parts required.

* May 30, 2020, 12:49:19 PM
I am a bit excited about this at the moment and wanted to share it here. I designed this winch with the intention of producing a new TurboCAD tutorial. I did the initial design work in SolidWorks so I could use the constraints/mates offered there to check gear mesh and the like. I then ported the model over to KeyShot for rendering. I hope you like the KeyShot renders. Now I will rebuild the model in TurboCAD and record the sessions as I proceed. The new tutorial will be available in a couple or so weeks from the time of this post. I am extremely excited to get the tutorial produced and available since I believe it offers so much in terms of TurboCAD tool and function usage. It should be a winner if I may say so myself.  P.S. Using the Pro version of KeyShot I was able to set up all five renders and then add them to the render queue and render through the night while I slept. I love the ability to do that!

Please don't comment on the functionality of the winch. It is more about the tools and function in TC than it is about engineering. For me, planetary gears are new to me, so is hydraulics in general and especially hydraulic controls. From my research, I doubt mine would function well, but the general principles seem legitimate. I also think it has lots of neat components, which always adds nicely to a tutorial. It is probably going to be a longer tutorial of mine based on the number of parts required.

Beautiful work Don.

DonCW

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* May 30, 2020, 03:22:25 PM
Really impressive, Don.

Henry H

May 30, 2020, 03:58:42 PM
The renderings are superior (coming to expect that from your use of KeyShot).

I am curious, however, how you did the cutaway view in the last image.  It would take several preparation steps for a full rendering in TurboCAD, so I'd like to know if other platforms make it easier (and faster).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

May 30, 2020, 06:16:41 PM
Thanks Don, Henry, Jeff.

Jeff, you are correct about the extra steps in TurboCAD to get that type of thing.

In KeyShot you:

1. Use one of their supplied tools to create a box or cylinder, etc..
2. Scale and place the box (any other part or object, really) where desired.
3. Add a Cutaway material from the existing preset materials.
4. Adjust options as desired.

Currently there is a bug (I think) that shows glaring hints of the cutaway object when using Ground Shadows and/or Ambient Occlusion. I have sent a bug report to KeyShot to see what they say about it. Maybe I am missing something here, but I think it is a bug at this point.

* May 31, 2020, 12:42:16 AM
I really appreciate your work Don.

I too am hoping for a KeyShot plugin for the next version of TurboCad, so I can quickly create professional looking renders to show my customers.

Thomas

June 10, 2020, 07:52:34 PM
I took a short break from tutorial production to rerender these old TurboCAD models in KeyShot.  Both of them were from former tutorials I created. The loader is from "Skid Loader" (V14) and the MP3 Player is from "Preparing Model for Render" (v18). The MP3 player wasn't actually modeled in the tutorial, it was supplied as the subject matter so more time could be spent on rendering than on model creation. I hope you like new renders. I added the LW renders from early days for fun and comparison.

Please don't comment if you don't like them.

June 11, 2020, 03:31:05 AM
The KeyShot versions are head and shoulders (and a good portion of the torso) above the LW versions.

The highlights are believable instead of just... present.  The transparency on the MP3 player's display is near perfect.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:05:41 AM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 11, 2020, 09:57:47 PM
The KeyShot renders don't just look good, they look like photographs of real objects, they're really pleasant to look at :)

June 12, 2020, 07:11:07 AM

June 27, 2020, 02:51:33 PM
I have been playing around some more with some older TC models. I hope you like the renders.

The Microsoft mouse was modeled in MoI and rendered anew in KeyShot. I based the view on a mouse Brad Easterday did many years ago and shared on the TC forum. It was spectacular - he had such a gift for TurboCAD rendering.

The bowl model/render was inspired by Ella's Kitchen (Instagram: @ellaskitchenuk) post by Instagram: @lasercutworks. Bowl was modeled years ago in TurboCAD, based on an old Ashlar Vellum tutorial and rendered anew in KeyShot. This one looks especially good at my full screen render size, but a smaller version is posted here.

The TC gear was modeled years ago in TurboCAD and rendered anew in KeyShot. The set up for this one is absolutely simple. Just three stock plastic materials (red, gray, black) with stock basic lighting and the stock basic starter hdr environment. It took all of five minutes to import and set up. I rendered 2100 x 3750, 500 samples which took 30 minutes. For out of the box, I thought this turned out very well. Yes, it is supposed to be a plastic gear, although when I started that was not my intent, but I liked it so well at this state that I said "good to go". I hope you like it too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:13:42 PM by Don Cheke »

June 28, 2020, 01:07:32 AM
I have been playing around some more with some older TC models. I hope you like the renders.

The Microsoft mouse was modeled in MoI and rendered anew in KeyShot. I based the view on a mouse Brad Easterday did many years ago and shared on the TC forum. It was spectacular - he had such a gift for TurboCAD rendering.

The bowl model/render was inspired by Ella's Kitchen (Instagram: @ellaskitchenuk) post by Instagram: @lasercutworks. Bowl was modeled years ago in TurboCAD, based on an old Ashlar Vellum tutorial and rendered anew in KeyShot. This one looks especially good at my full screen render size, but a smaller version is posted here.

The TC gear was modeled years ago in TurboCAD and rendered anew in KeyShot. The set up for this one is absolutely simple. Just three stock plastic materials (red, gray, black) with stock basic lighting and the stock basic starter hdr environment. It took all of five minutes to import and set up. I rendered 2100 x 3750, 500 samples which took 30 minutes. For out of the box, I thought this turned out very well. Yes, it is supposed to be a plastic gear, although when I started that was not my intent, but I liked it so well at this state that I said "good to go". I hope you like it too.

Excellent rendered examples, as usual Don.

However, do you think you might be in danger of repeating yourself?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

June 28, 2020, 07:59:21 AM

Thanks. I see the duplication and will fix. It was this stupid forum again yesterday going on and off and I was never sure whether it worked or not.
EDIT: I removed part of my little forum rant. :-)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:10:39 AM by Don Cheke »

June 28, 2020, 08:20:04 AM

Thanks. I see the duplication and will fix. It was this stupid forum again yesterday going on and off and I was never sure whether it worked or not.

I really sympathise.
I'm glad my comment found you in good humour.

Yesterday, Saturday, the forum was like wading through mud!   ::)

Regards Tim

Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* June 28, 2020, 08:30:49 AM

Dang. I bet it was a gem.

Henry H

June 28, 2020, 09:42:59 AM

Dang. I bet it was a gem.

Henry H

I thought so. I can do a really good rant, as my wife can attest, but I always feel guilty afterwards so generally remove them. How sad is that? :-)

July 13, 2020, 03:35:43 PM
Here are a few new renders, all modeled in TurboCAD. The stool is an old model as is the bomb, but with new looks. The others are new models. I hope you like the renders. If you have any questions about any of them, I would be happy to reply.

July 13, 2020, 03:43:20 PM
Here are a few new renders, all modeled in TurboCAD. The stool is an old model as is the bomb, but with new looks. The others are new models. I hope you like the renders. If you have any questions about any of them, I would be happy to reply.

<sighing wistfully>

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:09:02 PM by Jeffin90620 »

July 13, 2020, 09:17:57 PM
Super renders Don, gotta ask what is the material on the bomb?

I do like the stool render, imho the seat is too dark to make out the grain detail, otherwise great stuff. Also like the line drawing showing the seat and leg joinery. 😎

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly. Ender 3 3D printer.

July 14, 2020, 02:31:53 PM
Thanks. It is mostly metal wrap from SketchUp Texture group or maybe 3DTextures.me, I can't remember which. The material graph looks complex but it isn't really. Just a mix of adding various items such as the material and the labels.

EDIT: Here is the texture: https://3dtextures.me/2018/11/27/metal-rusted-007-2/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:42:54 PM by Don Cheke »

July 21, 2020, 08:41:52 AM
I seem to be working my way through most of, or at least many of, my old models - giving them a fresh look via KeyShot. This helicopter was modeled back in TC version 15 as the subject of a Textual Creations tutorial. I always liked this style of helicopter, it reminds me of the MASH tv series. I believe it was a variation of a Bell 47. I can't remember if I used a plastic model as the reference material for the tutorial, but that might be the case. The attached image has no post work (other than adding my signature) and it took just under 10 hours to render at 3750 x 2100 px at 300 dpi. This is a resized image, 1200 wide. It just uses HDRI for lighting using one called blue_lagoon_8k from HDR Haven (a freebie).

I hope you like the render. If not, I don't need to know.

July 21, 2020, 09:43:24 AM
Don,

I don't like the render at all!

Sorry, I just couldn't help loving it.
If you hadn't mentioned, I'd have thought it a photograph.
10 hours not wasted.

Regards Tim

July 21, 2020, 01:26:18 PM
I like the render Don, it reminds me of oranges that Ive seen and ate from a town called Midura in Victoria. The orange colour is super bright!

Whats that small image in the sand thats to the left of of the canopy?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2020 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly. Ender 3 3D printer.

July 21, 2020, 03:12:31 PM
I like the render Don, it reminds me of oranges that Ive seen and ate from a town called Midura in Victoria. The orange colour is super bright!

Whats that small image in the sand thats to the left of of the canopy?

Thanks Tim.

Hi Darryl. It is a sign on a wall, too blurry to make out. I believe that the chopper is on concrete, not sand.

* July 21, 2020, 04:09:48 PM
I seem to be working my way through most of, or at least many of, my old models - giving them a fresh look via KeyShot. This helicopter was modeled back in TC version 15 as the subject of a Textual Creations tutorial. I always liked this style of helicopter, it reminds me of the MASH tv series. I believe it was a variation of a Bell 47. I can't remember if I used a plastic model as the reference material for the tutorial, but that might be the case. The attached image has no post work (other than adding my signature) and it took just under 10 hours to render at 3750 x 2100 px at 300 dpi. This is a resized image, 1200 wide. It just uses HDRI for lighting using one called blue_lagoon_8k from HDR Haven (a freebie).

Ten hours! What would you have done if you didn't like it?

Henry H

July 21, 2020, 05:56:34 PM

Ten hours! What would you have done if you didn't like it?

Henry H

The thing about KeyShot is that you can tell before you start rendering, quite quickly, whether or not it will be good, just by the live screen preview. I could have had this render quicker, but I have been recently rendering all my works at 500 samples. That seem like a good amount for nice results. I think that there is a diminishing point where one's eyes can't tell the difference anyway so why use more. Most of my renders don't take anywhere this long but the occasional one does and I just let it render while I go to bed and sleep. There have been times when I haven't liked a render - having seen an error or something unexpected appearing after a long render. If so, I just tweak and re-render at a convenient time. I am like you Henry in where I never liked waiting for renders more that a couple or so minutes, but in my experience now with KS, I almost always find the wait well worth it in because, like I said, I already know before I start that the result will be good. Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 05:58:17 PM by Don Cheke »

* July 21, 2020, 06:41:38 PM
Yup, Don, it does make sense.

Henry H

August 01, 2020, 03:16:52 PM
I thought I would post these since the forum as been so quite. Just a few more old TurboCAD models, revisited in KeyShot for a fresh render. I hope you like them.

August 02, 2020, 03:12:04 AM
I thought I would post these since the forum as been so quite. Just a few more old TurboCAD models, revisited in KeyShot for a fresh render. I hope you like them.

These are amazing.  I am especially impressed with the renderings of the metals and the powder coat.  I had to do a lot of experimentation to get a powder coat that is even in the ballpark of this good with Lightworks and it was a stroke of luck.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:11:15 AM by Jeffin90620 »

August 02, 2020, 09:16:52 AM

These are amazing.  I am especially impressed with the renderings of the metals and the powder coat.  I had to do a lot of experimentation to get a powder coat that is even in the ballpark of this good with Lightworks and it was a stroke up luck.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Your render/texture looks fantastic.

August 03, 2020, 02:12:01 AM
Thanks Jeff, Your render/texture looks fantastic.

Thanks, but I think it is second tier compared to what you are doing with KeyShot.

Jeff