TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Dreaming of KeyShot for TurboCAD
Read 4055 times
October 28, 2019, 01:32:21 PM
Hope you folks don't mind another post here. I created the model of this tracked transport way back in TurboCAD v15 as part of a tutorial I had written. I decided I would see how it looked rendered in KeyShot, so I exported out to Alibre and them brought it into KeyShot. I am pretty pleased with the render. I hope you like it too. One of the things that I really like about working with HDRI in KeyShot is the ability to manipulate the environment, especially using the transform tools. One can easily rotate the HDRI and change its size and height. Really lets a user find just the right look. This is something we can't do with LightWorks and I don't think we can do it with RedSDK.

October 29, 2019, 01:53:20 AM
Don,

definitely an improvement on the original.   8)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

October 30, 2019, 02:39:10 PM
So now I wish I would have forgone purchasing Alibre and just took that money and spent it on the full version of KeyShot, so that I could just export STEP from TurboCAD and bring into KeyShot. But I am still dreaming of a KeyShot add-on for TurboCAD. Probably as much chance of that as winning a lottery so I suspect it just remain a dream. I'll stop posting here soon, since it is pretty far off topic, but I wanted to post this one for comparison to the dark stairwell I had done in TC - LigthWorks. The real nice thing about the lighting here is a user can actually just select the light lens and make it into a lit object. I know that RedSDK has some additional lighting techniques that LightWorks doesn't, but I don't think it is as easy a this. I think one must still place a flat object by the item then want to light in Red and apply the lighting to that object. This dark stairwell looks great full screen but I only attached a small version here. This render took an hour (3750 x 2100, 300dpi, 150 Samples), but it is worth the wait when you know the render will be great.

PS, I still plan on trying an interior / exterior architectural scene to see how that compares with what I am used to with LightWorks so watch for t hat at some point.

November 01, 2019, 03:21:15 PM
Last image for this thread. This building is a take on the pillared room that Darryl W. had posted some time ago. I rebuilt from scratch for this one. Apparently KeyShot has issues with white, so when a bright sky or other white environment highlight reflects off an edge one is likely to get jaggies because the program can't deal with the pixels as it typically does with non-white objects. It is really quite annoying and one would think for the cost of KeyShot that would have been addressed long ago. I had to brush out the jaggies in PhotoShop. Don't know if our RedSDK folks noticed anything similar with their renders. I know I have never seen it with a high-res LightWorks render.

The original render of this I did took 4 hours (3730 x 2100 @ 300dpi & 150 samples). I got this one down to 2 hours by going with 3750 x 2100 @ 96dpi & 100 samples. Both way too long for my tastes, but would be okay if needs required such a beast. Now I am going to bring that model back into TC and see what I can do with LightWorks.

November 06, 2019, 07:02:25 AM
Hi Don...
The jaggies you mention in Keyshot…. have you got any geometry between the beam/edges and the background?
Red does/did sometimes have an issue when no geometry is there.... Just adding an "Air" material with a IOR of 1.0 or just over and zero reflection between the model and the background often works. I think it's something to do with how anti-aliasing works by scaling the image.... it cannot scale the background it seems to me.

I rarely do renders these days without geometry surrounding what I am designing and use Softbox lighting as per this design of a monitor mount as an example in RedSDK where the light rays can bounce around inside a matt white box:

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

November 06, 2019, 08:19:35 AM
Hi Don...
The jaggies you mention in Keyshot…. have you got any geometry between the beam/edges and the background?
Red does/did sometimes have an issue when no geometry is there.... Just adding an "Air" material with a IOR of 1.0 or just over and zero reflection between the model and the background often works. I think it's something to do with how anti-aliasing works by scaling the image.... it cannot scale the background it seems to me.

I rarely do renders these days without geometry surrounding what I am designing and use Softbox lighting as per this design of a monitor mount as an example in RedSDK where the light rays can bounce around inside a matt white box:

Thanks Darrel, I will give that a try.

November 25, 2019, 05:41:58 PM
Today I downloaded the full Pro version of KeyShot so that I could import models without going through Alibre. As such, I exported my centrifugal pump from TurboCAD in STEP format. It opened without issue in KeyShot (although it loses it layer names and I had to figure out a couple of things that were not apparent from my previous use - having to do with linked materials). The Pro version has so many extra functions, the difference is amazing. There is so much more to learn, but my experience today shows that any extra effort put into it will always be worth it. Note that the attached image is two separate renders I made and combined in PhotoShop. I could have done both at the same time in KeyShot if I had thought of it before, as a users can make duplicates in KeyShot and arrange as desired.

One shortcoming that I noted while trying to get models from TurboCAD into KeyShot has to do with Architectural items created in TC, which are typically surface objects. Of course, TC surfaces don't export via STEP, so that is not so good. I did try an OBJ export but that took a long time and it still missed a few parts in the transfer. If IMSI were to team up with KeyShot and get a plug-in developed this would need to be taken into consideration.

I am completely sold on KeyShot as a rendering option and I will be purchasing the Pro version next week when their big sale takes place (20% off upgrades and new purchases).

As time moves on, it is my hope to talk to someone at Luxion to find out how one gets a plug-in developed and then perhaps I can pass that info along to IMSI for consideration. Can't hurt to try.

November 25, 2019, 06:29:21 PM
Excellent results, from the sheen on the parts to the very subtle shadows.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

November 25, 2019, 06:33:57 PM
Yeah, Beautiful, as always, Don.

Crazy question/challenge:  Can you make it a little dirty... used.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 25, 2019, 06:53:24 PM
Yeah, Beautiful, as always, Don.

Crazy question/challenge:  Can you make it a little dirty... used.

Thanks Alvin. Yes, that can be done and I will be experimenting at some point. Probably not this model but something else a little less complex to start with.

* December 04, 2019, 02:10:07 PM
Although I have done this model in TurboCAD and rendered with LightWorks with decent results the one here was modeled in Alibre and rendered in KeyShot. KeyShot is so easy to work with and gives exceptional results without much effort and certainly less time than LighgtWorks. It would sure be nice to have a KeyShot add-on for TurboCAD so one could link the KeyShot file with the model, as one can do with Alibre. I hope that the new owners of TurboCAD will consider it.

Don,

"new owners"?  Did IMSIDesign get sold?

Thanks,

JoeM

December 04, 2019, 02:19:10 PM
Although I have done this model in TurboCAD and rendered with LightWorks with decent results the one here was modeled in Alibre and rendered in KeyShot. KeyShot is so easy to work with and gives exceptional results without much effort and certainly less time than LighgtWorks. It would sure be nice to have a KeyShot add-on for TurboCAD so one could link the KeyShot file with the model, as one can do with Alibre. I hope that the new owners of TurboCAD will consider it.

Don,

"new owners"?  Did IMSIDesign get sold?

Thanks,

JoeM

HI Joe,

Yes, a while ago a group out of India purchased it, although they still have an office in California and Bob Mayer is still the CEO, as far as I know.

Looks like it was 2018 when the new group (led by Zunair Attif) from Lahore, Pakistan took over.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:26:25 PM by Don Cheke »