TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Install old version (with VBA) in Windows 10
Read 801 times
* October 10, 2018, 01:18:51 AM
I use a lot of old VBA code I wrote years ago, and in fact couldn't manage without it. I realise this perhaps should be in the SDK area of the forum, but I'm afraid no-one will read it there  :-\

So have had TC 9 Pro running fine on my Windows 7 PC, with full VBA capabilty, but just been forced to upgrade to Windows 10. After installation (twice), sadly some items are missing from the menu ('Tools' at least), one of which is 'VBA Macros'.

I have a suspicion it may be that Windows 10 is blocking some DLL's, but that's only a guess, I may be totally wrong. I did disable Windows 10 UAC before install.

See screenshots (screen photographed as I couldn't seem to take a 'snip' without the menu disappearing!).

#####   Images edited by mod to pixel reduce size a bit (was 4000 pixels)  #####
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:19:35 AM by Andy H »

Currently installed v17.2 Pro (with VBA) and 2018 Pro Platinum on Windows 10.   Started with TC v2 !

* October 10, 2018, 04:15:06 AM
When you installed v9, did you do a 'Full' install,  (you get options for full, custom, minimum etc.)

I just tried installing on Windows 10 version 1803, it installed OK, and has vba available,  NOTE, I haven't tested the vba to see if it works.

Hope you don't mind, I edited your images to reduce their size a bit, 4000 pixels wide was a bit big for just an image of the menu.

* October 12, 2018, 09:32:42 AM
Thanks Andy,

Well I did get sorted it in the end, after multiple clean install attempts. Turned out that I needed to perform a manual Administrator regsvr32 command on VbaTool.dll.

Which is kind of what I expected, don't know why I didn't try it initially. Probably because I've not needed to previously. Maybe Windows 10's security settings got into a panic...

And best of all, VBA appears to be working OK in v17.2 Pro!

Currently installed v17.2 Pro (with VBA) and 2018 Pro Platinum on Windows 10.   Started with TC v2 !

* October 13, 2018, 03:12:17 PM
Can you kindly share the steps on how you got VBA to work in version 17?

Thanks,
Enzo

* October 17, 2018, 07:43:22 AM
Apologies, begin the process of installing a new PC, and forgot to reply.

What I've done (and there may be other ways) is:

1.  Install a version of TC with VBA (I use 9 Pro)
2.  Make sure it's working OK. On Windows 10, I found I needed to manually register VbaTool.dll (as per my previous post). Don't recall doing that on previous Windows versions.
3.  Install a newer 32-bit TC. I use 17.2 Pro, which is OK, and I've heard v18 is the last that works.
4.  Copy VbaTool.dll from the 'Draggers' folder of v9 etc to the 'Draggers' folder of v17 etc.
5.  Keep v9 etc installed.
6.  You should now have 'Macros' and 'VBA Editor' on your tool menu in v17 etc.

One caveat IMHO is that you may not be able to create new templates/drawings with macros attached in the new version, but you can edit them (including code).

Hope that helps and works! I think IMSI did used to frown about it due to licensing issues with M$, but I doubt M$ are as bothered about VB licences these days.

* October 17, 2018, 03:16:04 PM
Thanks Ian.  It works in v11, but it crashed my v18 when I opened a file with v9 macro in it. (I don't have v17 on this computer).  I'll keep playing when I have time.