TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Do you use TC for Serious Professional Use
Read 3683 times
* November 26, 2015, 01:20:41 PM
My business focuses on Building, landscaping design & town planning. Nearly all of my 3d work is done using Sketchup. 2d is done with a number of cad packages.

I am thinking of rationalising my cad packages.

I quite like some of the features of TC. However, I get a feeling (righly or wrongly) that TC is usd mainly by hobbyists and home use.

Do many firms use TC for complex architectural projects?

Walter
TC2015 Platinum

November 26, 2015, 01:32:25 PM
Walter

I use it for Pro use - Kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms.

Their are many users who have come over from Autocad that use it professionally.

Their is no perfect software package, many use a combination.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* November 26, 2015, 01:36:59 PM
Thanks Darrel. I have learn't the expensive way that there is no perfect software package. That's why I want to rationalise to Sketchup and maybe two cad packages.

Walter
TC2015 Platinum

* November 26, 2015, 01:42:17 PM
I use TurboCAD for "professional use".

Mostly 2D Architectural (houses and light-commercial) conceptualization, design, and actual construction plans.  I've had dozens submitted for approval and permitted; most of them actually built.
On simpler projects-- e.g.:  Pergolas, patios, detached garages-- I might do it in 3D.

The biggest limitation I have seen-- in "professional use"-- is drawing-exchanging with AutoCAD users-- both importing and exporting.
Though when doing so, a large percentage of the drawing stays "intact" and viewable and "Snap-to-able", it's never a perfect exchange with all properties settings intact, etc.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 26, 2015, 01:43:38 PM
One thing about TC is that is a bit of an all rounder and you have a lot of control over what you want to do with workflow and the output you create.

Mostly only limited by the time you spend and skill levels. Some packages can be very restrictive.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* November 26, 2015, 02:12:02 PM
I also own some of the restrictive packages. Really only good for cookie cutter type projects. I dont use them any more.

I really like Sketchup because it is flexible. I would like my cad package to be also flexible.

As far as drawing exchange. Most cad packages dont transfer fully. Thats why I like pdf as an underlay (thanks again Alvin for your tip a couple of days back on another post).

Walter
TC2015 Platinum

* November 26, 2015, 07:48:58 PM
I use it professionally for architectural work.

Over the last 5 years I have experimented with all the different ways you can achieve the same result within Turbocad I have tried to learn every tool in TC
 I have trialed other cad packages and adopted some of those methods to do things within the tc environment.
My main aim is to produce 2d working drawings from a 3d model. With the ability to produce schedules that don't look like quantity surveyors schedules
but more like the traditional architectural schedules.
I have finally come up with a system that works for me.

Turbocad has great potential but you need to do the work to set it up so that it works.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

November 27, 2015, 07:48:04 AM
I have used TurboCAD professionally for many years doing trade show booth designs and 3D visuals. Also for creating point of sales displays and architectural environments for clients in the Ad industry. Most of the time clients don't care what you create the work in, just as long as the product you deliver is what they are after. Over the last year or so my work world has completely shifted directions and my work has become totally focused on new product development for a glass door manufacturer. It is almost solely mechanical design and I switched to SolidWorks due to the need for parametrics which makes design changes so much easier and quicker. As part of my role, I also create product visual for company brochures and although I could use SolidWorks' built-in PhotoView 360, I still take my models into TurboCAD and do my rendering there with LightWorks. It is so much easier there, probably because I have become so accustomed to TurboCAD over the years.

http://www.thermoseal.com/Resources/Downloads/Brochures/CC1400-Brochure.pdf

* November 27, 2015, 10:30:40 PM
Because I'm retired I don't actually do anything to "earn my keep" as it were, but I think I can truthfully say that I use TC for "professional" use. I design and make hi quality jewellery, and also do voluntary work for a National Charity that designs and makes custom aids for disabled people. I use TC for both of these purposes.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* November 27, 2015, 10:50:11 PM
Since 2002 I have earned my living with TurboCad doing detailed shop drawings for commercial and residential millwork for a major construction company. Most of my projects were done in 2D, but I'm able to provide 3D details to clients when necessary. Is it professional CAD software...I'd say yes. That's just my opinion, but others opinions may vary.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:07:18 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

December 15, 2015, 08:29:26 PM
The bulk of my CAD training was done using AutoCAD.  AutoCAD was out my price range and my boss was using TurboCAD.  So I took the step of purchasing and learning TurboCAD.  It was a struggle at first but, I was a quick learner.  I'd say my 2D construction documents / building plans I draw up inside TurboCAD are just as good as anything drawn with AutoCAD.  I don't think you would be able tell what program I used to do the drawings.  If you know how to do it, you can definitely use TurboCAD for professional work.  My drawings are usually 2D architectural drawings.  I haven't really explored too much TurboCAD's 3D features.

Lance Voorheis
AutoCAD Turned TurboCAD User

TurboCAD DeLuxe V20, V21, 2015, 2016
TurboCAD Pro V17, 2015
TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2016

December 16, 2015, 12:01:03 AM
I'm an electronic engineering consultant.  Upon the recommendation of an AutoCAD user who knew I would not get $4,000+ of value from that software package, I bought TurboCAD many years ago to enhance my skill set and have upgraded periodically.

In addition to standard mechanical CAD (designing/duplicating objects with measurements for fabrication), I use it for documentation, proposals and concept drawings in 2D or 3D in Hidden Line, Photorealistic and, occasionally, some of the artistic rendering modes in Lightworks.

I also design and 3D print jewelry (earrings, so far, but considering other ornamental stuff).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

December 16, 2015, 04:37:18 PM
I purchased TurboCAD 2015 Pro Plat earlier this year to start a small design and manufacturing side business. After extensive research and price comparison with other software packages, TurboCAD seemed to offer the best bang for my buck. So I went with it and so far have not regretted it :).

I'm currently using TurboCAD to design parts and products made on a couple of home based 3D printers. Now I'm in the process of building my very first "entry level" CNC machine to expand my manufacturing capabilities. I don't see how TurboCAD won't be anything but an asset towards the success of this business endeavor.

Having said that, I'm not yet convinced that I will go with the CAM plug-in. Need to research it further.

Chachin..

TurboCAD Pro Platinum 2015.
Live debt-free.