TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Changing an Object's X, Y, Z
Read 3120 times
* February 22, 2013, 08:39:30 AM
I believe this has been requested by a number of Users, but I can't remember the answer:

This is a 3D Newbie question->  Is there anyway of changing an Objects X, Y, Z?  I know we can put it on a different Workplane than it was originally drawn, but can we- and if so, how can we- change an Objects individual X, Y, Z?

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 22, 2013, 02:27:48 PM
If you're referring to the object's Position, simply select the object and type the desired value(s) into the Inspector Bar and press Enter. First, though, I recommend you set both Extents CS and I to "User CS" in the IBar's Selector 3D Properties dialog.

Henry H

* February 22, 2013, 03:02:55 PM
If you're referring to the object's Position, simply select the object and type the desired value(s) into the Inspector Bar and press Enter. First, though, I recommend you set both Extents CS and I to "User CS" in the IBar's Selector 3D Properties dialog.

Henry H

Hi Henry.  Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm not referring to the Object's position.  I'll give you an example, and you'll realize what I am after:

Let's say I draw a 2x4 stud- Workplane by World.  I draw it laying on the ground so that X=3½"; Y=92¼"; and Z=1½".
Then I draw another 2x4 stud- again Workplane by World.  But this time I draw it standing up, such that X=3½"; Y=1½""; and Z=92¼".
And I draw the stud one more time- still on Workplane by World.  And draw it one other way, still standing up, but such that X=1½"; Y=3½"; and Z=92¼".

Now I want to add a "Wood" Material to all of those Object's 3D Properties for photorealism.  I select a Wood Material, which has grains.  The grains will be correct for one of the studs, but not the other two.

-----
The above is just an example.  I'm not asking here how to get all the grains to match on three example studs; I know I can create two more Wood Materials along the other two Axes.

The above example just illustrates that each of those Objects have "internal" to them a X, Y, Z.   Can we- and how can we- change an entity's X, Y, Z in which it was created?

Thanks, Alvin

*Edit:  I guess a better, more simple way to ask the question:  Can we/how can we change an Entity's Entity Coordinate System?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:59:11 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 23, 2013, 03:32:49 AM
one way - Add another object totally enclosed inside it and rotated to whatever axes is required  then Boolean add, in older versions I think one selected the main object then the new object, in newer versions one selects the new object then the main object, (if that makes sense).

Andy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:35:42 AM by Andy H »

* February 23, 2013, 05:03:05 AM
one way - Add another object totally enclosed inside it and rotated to whatever axes is required  then Boolean add, in older versions I think one selected the main object then the new object, in newer versions one selects the new object then the main object, (if that makes sense).

Andy

Yep, that worked Andy.  Pretty astute of you.

----
An oddity:  In version 11, the resultant Object of a 3D Boolean Add takes on the Properties of the first Object selected, but the Entity CS of the second.

----
Always wanting more:  I wonder if and how this- changing it's Entity CS- can be achieved with 2D Entities (2D Entities not closed- no 2D Boolean possible).

Thanks for the input Andy.  -Alvin
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:20:12 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2013, 10:57:39 PM
A couple of other methods I prefer.  First change your view to the proper orientation, then click workplane by view and draw your object as you would on the world workplane.  see attached screenshots.  When you add materials the orientation will be correct.  The other method is simply to make a rotated copy of the first object on the world workplane.  This way all your xyz sizes will be the same.  Hope this helps.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS