TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

What is Considered "A Large File"?
Read 5808 times
* September 21, 2012, 04:39:40 AM
Hello All.

I often see reference here on these Forums to "a large file".  I am wondering:
  • What is considered a large TuboCAD file?
  • What range of file sizes are the "norm"?
  • What is the median and average file size?
  • What is an expected or accepteable file size for a typical 2D architectural; 2,500sf single-story house; 6-sheet; limited color usage drawing file?
  • What is an expected or accepteable file size for that same house drawing in 3D?
----
Anything else that you can contribute and educate on this subject?

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

September 22, 2012, 03:25:24 AM
Hi Alvin,
small engineering components with simple model and one 2d view are often less than 200kb
medium size files like the floor plan of a 3 bedroom house, a model with windows roof, a concept drawing maybe 1 or 2 mb
A large file would be above 5mb, not easy to email unless one has a gmail account or similar.
A huge file would be more than 10mb, gmail accounts handle up to 25mb.

I have a few huge files, they are around 25mb, when TC19 ver 43.2 loads them they take 2 mins to load and total system memory left out of 24GB is about 8Gb, when running small files total system memory used is only about 4.5GB.

These are only my known rule of thumb, other users may have different views, hope it help Alvin,
regards
Pete

* September 22, 2012, 05:28:49 PM
Hello Alvin,

Most of my efforts are mechanical assemblies - done in model space... drawings in 2D: with 20 to 30 components. The majority of these components are self-designed; others are .stp files downloaded from various vendors (e.g. McMaster-Carr, etc.). File sizes generally run in the 2MB to 4Mb region.

With TC running (plus the loaded file), the initial memory usage will be close to 200Mb. When rendered in "advanced", the memory usage for such a file is will increase to about 1G.

Files that were a real problem in the 32bit version are a non-issue with the x64 program.

Larry

TurboCad user since PS v1.2
v24.0.26.3 Pro Plat x64
WIN10 x64 w/16G Mem. nVidia GTX1080(s)

* September 27, 2012, 09:49:57 AM
Thanks Pete and Larry for the replies on this Topic.  After reading your replies, it's very clear to me that I have some TurboCAD version 11 files that got out of hand.

Though most of my SFR (Single Family Residence) 2D files are in the .5mb➞1mb range, I have a few in the 10mb range; and even a few with 3D elements that are in the 30mb range.  Too big.  For one thing, I have embedded images in most of the larger ones. I don't use External References, I use Blocks (too afraid of moving the files in the directory, and losing the image and xRef in the drawing).

Shoot, my largest TurboCAD drawing files- in the 30mb range- are simply a 3D model of a 350sf Trellis and BBQ area, including a satellite-image "underlay".

I'll have to work on creating a drawing method that better limits my file sizes.

----
Thanks again for the input you two.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)