TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Warning on new UPGRADE / PATCH
Read 1738 times
* September 13, 2012, 08:23:05 AM
This is a complete reinstall that restores all your previous settings. Be prepared to reload workspaces etc. Treat it as a reinstall and you will be ok.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:02:06 AM by edbardet »

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

* September 13, 2012, 09:08:57 AM
Just a Opinion
Another choice if they put 19.2 in the future is check on the forum home page on the Update board.There may be something there to use. Sometimes they just put the fixes and a complete reinstall full build both options are available.But you have to read it carefully and study its contents so interpretation isn't lost ..
I was never fan that popup update thing even with other programs.I always had some sort of issue where some file hiccup in the down load process.Normally if the program is offer as a new update and is offer to the next version I just uninstall it and reload the version.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:07:03 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 13, 2012, 10:18:10 AM
Nothing on that board after April!
Caveat Emptor! (sp?)

Rel 20 Pro Platinum

September 13, 2012, 09:59:07 PM
Unfortunately I had no idea this was a complete reinstall update that would obliterate all custom settings and put me almost a day and a half behind on my project as I reconfigured everything. I saw no warning during the update process saying this would be a result of the update and I'm a bit miffed that I'm out both time and money. - VERY uncool IMSI...

* September 14, 2012, 03:57:32 AM
Just so future Users know- for when they do the Upgrade or Patch:

In many previous Topics on these Forums, it has been often highly-advised- by both the expert Users and IMSI/TuboCAD associates- that before doing an Updrade or Patch, one create a Back-up of their custom Workspace files (Configuration files) and .ini files.  Because, yes, all User-Customized Workspace and other settings (via .ini file: Luminance, Material, RedSDK localized settings) will be lost when Patching via Update, or Upgrading.

Now that Updates are being pushed to the TurboCAD desktop automatically, Users are highly-advised to create-  and refresh often-  copies of their customized configuration and .ini files in a separate directory for easy access and re-assigment* after doing an Upgrade or Patch.

----
Of course, the point can easily be made that if one didn't/doesn't know to read those Posts in the Forums prior to to Updating/Upgrading, how would one know to read them?

----
Yes, there should be an advisory warning prior to the actual installation of an Upgrade, Patch, Update advising the User that:

All Custom Workspace Configurations and Settings Will Be Lost upon installation of this Update!!
It is highly advised that you create Backup copies of your custom configuration and .ini files in a separate directory.
Create Backups now?

-Alvin

*(likely, "re-assignment" is incorrect terminology here)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:38:03 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 14, 2012, 04:36:50 AM
Well put Al.You beat me to draw  ;) ..IMO continuation updates should be always available here of the forum home page

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

September 14, 2012, 04:53:05 AM
I am surprised by people who complain about their workspaces after updates. I personally hardly alter the layout so when updates come it only takes 5 minutes to add the toolbar layouts I want.

Many software packages have fixed workspaces and the ones that can be customised don't always have the option to save the configuration. I remember doing an uninstall on a "so called" professional design package and it deleted all the user files!! What a mess that was!!

The tools are there to save the info and settings you want to keep, don't blame the software for not thinking for you!!

Daz...
V2018 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* September 14, 2012, 09:29:23 AM
I used to set up TC just so, but I realised a few years ago that my conservative preference meant that I wasn't exploring how to use new tools, so I just started using default setups.  I like to think that I'm a little more adventurous, and find it just a little easier to adapt to new stuff.   I don't get annoyed by it, anyhow.