TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Should alternate units be available in 16.1 Des?
Read 2764 times
* September 21, 2009, 03:39:17 PM
I'm using TC 16.1 Des.

When dimensioning, I don't have an "alternate units" property sheet. The manual doesn't mention this as a pro feature. Is there a way to turn this feature on, or is it only available in other versions?

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

September 21, 2009, 03:58:49 PM
Mark,

If you would like to dimension using different units than the space units of the drawing check the append units box in the Units/Tolerance section of the dimension dialog. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* September 21, 2009, 05:15:54 PM
I'm using TC 16.1 Des.

When dimensioning, I don't have an "alternate units" property sheet. The manual doesn't mention this as a pro feature. Is there a way to turn this feature on, or is it only available in other versions?

Thanks,
Mark

Right mouse click on the dimension tool to open Properties, you should see a box similar to to attached. After you check the box at the top you'll have several combinations to create the alternate units you're after.

HTH
don.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* September 21, 2009, 07:10:47 PM
My dimensions property sheet does not have the "Alternate dimensions" option ... as you'll see if I can get the screen shot to attach.

TCW Pro 14.2

* September 21, 2009, 09:01:00 PM
re: I'm using TC 16.1 Designer. When dimensioning, I don't have an "Alternate Units" property sheet.

"Alternate Units" is not available in Designer or Deluxe. I believe the best you can do is dimension the current dimensions. You should create a Style (Preset) for the alternate dimension; it should save you some time when switching from one type of Units to the other.

EDIT: You can add brackets "[ ]" in the Prefix / Suffix fields to denote that they're Alt Dims. If you add a backslash and capital P "\P" in the Suffix field, you can add text along with your dimension in the dimension "Text" field in the Inspector Bar.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:43:42 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* September 22, 2009, 09:50:31 AM
re: I'm using TC 16.1 Designer. When dimensioning, I don't have an "Alternate Units" property sheet.

"Alternate Units" is not available in Designer or Deluxe. I believe the best you can do is dimension the current dimensions. You should create a Style (Preset) for the alternate dimension; it should save you some time when switching from one type of Units to the other.
Thanks for the feedback. Once again, strange that the manual doesn't mention it.

Hmm, I suppose each dimension could go on its own layer, at the same physical location, and then be toggled on/off depending on which units you wanted.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* September 22, 2009, 11:36:39 AM
re: strange that the manual doesn't mention it.

With 600+ commands and only one person writing "the book", some things do get left out. IMHO, they could do a better job of informing her of what gets which tools.

re: I suppose each dimension could go on its own layer, at the same physical location,...

I like this idea better than mine. With your idea, if you move the object, both dimensions follow. With mine, only one follows.
If you set the Text for one dimension style to Above and the other style to On Line with an Adjustment to -1, you can get it to look like the Pro version. Even better than Pro because you can specify two different colors. In some situations the Text does overlap, but it can be moved by using the Edit Tool, or  by changing the Horizontal movement.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit