TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Seeing grid through objects
Read 2183 times
* September 20, 2009, 08:24:43 AM
Hi,

I am using TC 14 Deluxe and can see the grid through objects when in 3D model mode. Is this normal? In other programs I have seen, the grid is blocked out when the model is in front of it. I am hoping there is a setting that controls this.

Thanks!

Dave

* September 20, 2009, 11:28:04 AM
In my TC11.2 Pro the grid is on top of everything, even full render. I don't know about V14.
When I don't want it I just turn it off.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

September 20, 2009, 11:31:06 AM
In my TC11.2 Pro the grid is on top of everything, even full render. I don't know about V14.
When I don't want it I just turn it off.

It is the same in all version. I just turn it off too when in rendered mode.

* September 21, 2009, 05:17:49 AM
Ok, thanks for the replies. I do usually turn it off in render mode, but it's not very helpful when positioning multiple objects as I can't easily tell what's above and what's below the grid. Thought that maybe I have a video problem or a setting not enabled.

* September 21, 2009, 08:29:40 AM
Ok, thanks for the replies. I do usually turn it off in render mode, but it's not very helpful when positioning multiple objects as I can't easily tell what's above and what's below the grid. Thought that maybe I have a video problem or a setting not enabled.
I don't understand what above and below the grid means. Positioning on the grid only affects placement on the current workplane, wherever that may be.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* September 21, 2009, 08:47:08 AM
OK, then maybe I have the wrong expectations on this. In two other programs that I have used (ViaCAD and Alibre Design), the grid did not project through the object all the time. If the part were 3 units high on the Z axis, you could see it extend up above the grid and would not see the grid through it. If you looked at the part from the -Z side, you would see the grid overlayed on the part. It would therefore be very obvious about whether the part was "above or below" the grid or even intersecting with it. Does that make sense?

I am expecting TC to do something it does not do?

One reason I ask is that I am looking to upgrade and am trying to decide between several different applications.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

* September 21, 2009, 08:51:07 AM
OK, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's two of em.  ;D

Layout1 is about the plane and layout2 is below. I am not able to see it this way in TC.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* September 21, 2009, 11:08:50 AM
OK, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's two of em.  ;D

Layout1 is about the plane and layout2 is below. I am not able to see it this way in TC.
I see it now.
You need to Display the Current Workplane. Do this by clicking Workspace and then Display Workplane from the pull-down. The grid is always on the workplane, and is always visible when turned on.
I think you will find this pretty close to what you are used to.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* September 21, 2009, 04:43:59 PM
Thanks!!! I'll give that a try.