TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

available tools turbocad v 12 deluxe- calculator
Read 3672 times
* September 18, 2009, 09:56:15 PM
I know I am really way behind , using tc 12 and deluxe version at that. All I have for now.   Have trouble when I go to use a feature I see in the program or read about somewhere in forums or instruction manual , and it doesn't work or not?    My calculator works but can't figure square root with the functions ?? Can do simple math like , 10*3 =  but if I select a function from pop up -say "abs(x) " and I enter" -3"  replys" *error*" I would love to be able to find square roots on this machine!   Is it only in TC pro ver , which I find it says at the top of the subject line in the manual files?
Don't want to waste time reading too much about things don't work in my version of the program. Sorry , also don't have the money to buy the latest and best that they can sell with all the bells and whistles either.  Thanks in advance for input on the subject. best regards.  Sircut1

September 18, 2009, 10:38:26 PM
The calculator has changed dramatically starting with v10.5 when constraints became part of the program. I have shortcuts all over my computer to the windows calculator which I use often. It has square root.

You may also have the function button in your calculator palette.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:41:54 PM by Don Cheke »

* September 23, 2009, 05:00:02 PM
Thanks for all the input Don Cheke. Sounds like you have tons and tons of experience with the program(s) in turbocad.   Mostly will take me a lot of time ,trial and error  8) to get this right! I have both the windows calculator and in the program I can open the turbocad calculator. I'll need to read the rest of the instruction manual to understand how to enter my calculations in tc calculator (function). Windows doesn't have very clear instructions , but found the sqrt function.   Thanks again.

* September 25, 2009, 03:23:58 PM
I know I am really way behind , using tc 12 and deluxe version at that. All I have for now.   Have trouble when I go to use a feature I see in the program or read about somewhere in forums or instruction manual , and it doesn't work or not?    My calculator works but can't figure square root with the functions ?? Can do simple math like , 10*3 =  but if I select a function from pop up -say "abs(x) " and I enter" -3"  replys" *error*" I would love to be able to find square roots on this machine!   Is it only in TC pro ver , which I find it says at the top of the subject line in the manual files?
It sounds like you have the calculator, but aren't using it right. There's only 3 help screens on it, so it really doesn't take long to read. I don't think it would taunt you by offering to do a function that you didn't have access to.

When you typed abs(x) without defining 'x', you got an error because x was undefined.

But if instead, you go into the function box and type

abs(-5) <enter>

you should see your answer.  Or if you type

sqrt(5) <enter>

you should see the square root of 5. (2.24)

Now let's say you wanted to do several square root calculations in a row. You could type

x = 5 <enter>

in the top of the calculator. Now Below you'll see a field with 'variable' x and another field with value '5'. Now enter at the top:

answer = sqrt(x) <enter>

Now if you go down to the row in the calculator where variable 'x' is defined and enter '100' in the value column, you will see the next row where variable 'answer' is defined change its value to '10'

HTH
Mark

P.S.
My question is, once its given me the square root, how do I copy the result out?

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* September 26, 2009, 12:08:06 AM
P.S.
My question is, once its given me the square root, how do I copy the result out?
Normally, when I use the TC calculator, its because I want to use the result in one or more fields in the Inspector bar. I first tab to the required field and then hit F2 to enter the calculator. After I've done the required calculation I press the Enter key and the result is automagically placed into the Inspector bar field.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* September 26, 2009, 11:58:44 AM
P.S.
Normally, when I use the TC calculator, its because I want to use the result in one or more fields in the Inspector bar. I first tab to the required field and then hit F2 to enter the calculator. After I've done the required calculation I press the Enter key and the result is automagically placed into the Inspector bar field.
That is very cool. I didn't know about the F2 key. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* September 27, 2009, 12:49:01 AM
That is very cool. I didn't know about the F2 key. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I forgot to mention that the result stays in the calculator so you can use it in subsequent fields too.
This is particularly useful, for example, when scaling an entity the same amount in 2 or 3 dimensions. You first tab to the Scale X field, hit F2, do the calculation and hit Enter to insert the calculated scale factor into the Scale X field, then tab, F2 and Enter to insert the same scale factor into Scale Y. Ditto for Scale Z if required.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5