TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

View Problems - Designer 19
Read 4367 times
* July 29, 2012, 05:07:00 PM
I've used TurboCAD for years, but needed to do some simple 2D work so I tried the new Designer.  The problem I have is after working fine for a good deal of time the scroll bars will no longer move the drawing in model space, view extents does nothing, and any other view command just takes it back to the same, mid-drawing location.  The Paper space sheets work fine as does any other drawing, so I have to figure I some how locked the view controls to this one location on this one drawing.  Any thoughts on how to get back to normal operations?

* July 29, 2012, 06:41:14 PM
I've used TurboCAD for years, but needed to do some simple 2D work so I tried the new Designer.  The problem I have is after working fine for a good deal of time the scroll bars will no longer move the drawing in model space, view extents does nothing, and any other view command just takes it back to the same, mid-drawing location.  The Paper space sheets work fine as does any other drawing, so I have to figure I some how locked the view controls to this one location on this one drawing.  Any thoughts on how to get back to normal operations?

I don't use Designer....does it use Modes similar to the screenshot, if any one are checked that could be causing problems for you. Also check Snaps.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:16:11 PM by Don W, »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 29, 2012, 07:24:17 PM
It lists 4 under "Modes" (Snaps, Coordinate System, Lock X position, Lock Y position) and none have any effect on the action.  I tried locking & unlocking to no avail.  Any scroll bar movement just jumps back to the same drawing centered position.  I can get around it by zooming way out & then doing a window zoom.  But then any touching of the scroll handle shoots it back to the centered position so its pretty ackward.

* July 29, 2012, 11:38:11 PM
It's hard to say without seeing the drawing, but possibly you have an object too far away from the rest of the drawing (space dust) that might be causing this. "Ctrl+A" should show where everything is and if something is out of place. Select in the out of the way area and delete what gets selected or move it back with the rest of the drawing. The usual culprit are "0" length lines.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* July 30, 2012, 08:11:27 AM
Unfortunately, that didn't work as well.  Attached is a copy of the file.  The odd thing is the problem is only with this file.  A quick check running the program with other files shows the program works as it should.  So something in the makeup of this file is the culprit.  "0" length lines is an interesting concept.  I can see how you could create one if you enter lengths and accidentally hit the tab key wrongly.  How would someone even look for one of these?  Say if it was within the geometry of the plan and not out in deep space.

Thanks

July 30, 2012, 09:32:17 AM
I've used TurboCAD for years, but needed to do some simple 2D work so I tried the new Designer.  The problem I have is after working fine for a good deal of time the scroll bars will no longer move the drawing in model space, view extents does nothing, and any other view command just takes it back to the same, mid-drawing location.  The Paper space sheets work fine as does any other drawing, so I have to figure I some how locked the view controls to this one location on this one drawing.  Any thoughts on how to get back to normal operations?

Hi, no thoughts on what the solution might be, but, can confirm the problems are there - tried your file with TC v19 32-bit.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

July 30, 2012, 10:12:57 AM
There is something wrong with the extents of one of the objects in the drawing.  I have not been able to figure out which one yet.  I don't think this is fixable in this file as even after deleting all objects the problem persists.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* July 30, 2012, 11:55:36 AM
Sorry I don't have designer so can't verify what's written below, as I can only comment on what I found in Pro.

Basically you have quite a few problems with the file, possibly 3 or 4 problem layers are F2 anno, F3 anno DIM, F3 doors/windows, and int-kitchen.

Personally I think it is recoverable but would take a few hours to isolate all the faults, I tried copying into new file but the faults copied also, if you have a backup copy that doesn't exhibit the problems then you would be better using that, or you could copy each layer one at a time into a new file (saving as new name after each copy) to isolate the problems.

I'll have a go for a while and report back unless someone has sorted the problem in the mean time. - OH by the way, John was partly right, for starters if you open A COPY of your file and drag a selection window Left to right over your drawing, then hold down the shift key and drag right to left, the drawing will de-select but still show like something is selected way out in space, looks like too far for TC to even display, just hitting delete key sorts this bit out, but as I say you have other problems.

Andy

* July 30, 2012, 12:35:59 PM
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the thought that went into this.  I do have older versions of the file.  It actually began a couple of years ago in T14 Pro, and is a house here in Huntington Beach CA to be remodeled.  If nothing comes about, I'll need to go back & re-create what has been added (not a happy thought).  The odd thing is it worked fine until all of a sudden this locked it up.  The only thing I can think of is I may have tweaked it by playing around changing the program settings.  Also, being unfamiliar with Designer, I was doing some trial & error with the menu/tool options at times to see how they worked while I was updating this.

* July 30, 2012, 12:55:30 PM
HI - managed to your file working, looks like you had quite a few stray dimensions, I'll jot down the procedure shortly (about 3/4 hour or so),  but really need someone with designer to verify things are ok, anyway I'll post the procedure and your file (in v19 pro version format) in case someone can test it.

Andy

* July 30, 2012, 01:20:08 PM
Thanks, Andy.  I'll be quite interested in seeing how you did it.  As I said above, it was done over time so Interesting that the problem was in dimensions as they have always been a problem with me.  I can get them setup and the next day half will have reverted from feet to inches.  Possibly my machine needs an exorcist!  Attached is a copy saved to Tv18 as Don W also was going to give it a try.

* July 30, 2012, 02:32:06 PM
The quick way (John's post)

Create a copy of the file

Create the copy of the fileOpen file, Zoom out a bit, click ctrl+A to select everything, hold down shift key then drag a selection window around the drawing right to left, this will deselect the drawing, hit the delete key.

long version

Open file, zoomout a bit
turn off all layers except layer 0
turn on layer F2x anno - press ctrl + A - hold down shift key whilst draging a window covering the drawing - looks like nothing selected but selection palette shows a linear dimension, hit delet key

turn on layer F3 anno DIM - press ctrl + A - hold down shift key whilst draging a window covering the drawing - looks like nothing selected but selection palette  shows two linear dimension, hit delet key

turn on layer F3 Doors/windows - press ctrl + A - hold down shift key whilst draging a window covering the drawing - looks like nothing selected but selection palette  shows four linear dimension, hit delet key

turn on layer 'int - kitchen' - press ctrl + A - hold down shift key whilst draging a window covering the drawing - looks like nothing selected but selection palette  shows four linear dimension, hit delet key

turn off above layers and turn on both 'elev Face' and 'elev selection' - press ctrl + A - hold down shift key whilst draging a window covering the drawing to deselect drawing - looks like nothing selected but selection palette shows a lot of stuff, but if whilst still selected you go to position x and type mnius 100, and position y minus 100 you will be able to zoom in and see (well almost) that they are all zero size (or very tiny). - hit delete key to get rid of them

Hopefully this works in designer

Andy

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:45:25 PM by Andy H »

* July 30, 2012, 03:12:24 PM
Another way to go through this in Designer is to use "Ctrl+L" and slowly select each Layer. I found some layers where objects were off in deep space and being that were so many objects, it would seem easier to delete the selection. This would be a slightly easier if there was a Design Director palette, but "Select by Layer" is about it for Designer. I didn't go through everything, but came across the same layers that Andy mentioned; _F2X Anno, _F3 Anno Dim and "int - Kitchen".

I looked at this in a Pro edition and see this was originally 3D.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* July 31, 2012, 10:30:21 AM
Thanks, guys, but this thing is stubborn and it just won't fix.  Andy, as a last thing let me try the file version you fixed and I'll see if my Designer likes that.  I can't think of any reason it shouldn't.

* July 31, 2012, 01:29:34 PM
file attached but no idea if it will work in designer, it may be better if John posted a file as John has designer

Andy

* July 31, 2012, 01:37:29 PM
file attached but no idea if it will work in designer, it may be better if John posted a file as John has designer

Andy

Opens fine in Designer. Just say "No" to the warning box that pops up when opening.... then save... the warning box will no longer come up after that.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* July 31, 2012, 09:16:28 PM
I did the following with the original file, following Andy's suggestion:

• Selected the whole drawing, Ctrl+A
  • Held down the Shift key and dragged a selection window over the 'site'; upper left to lower right
  • Answered "Yes" to the changing workplane question and let go of the Shift key.
  • The site objects are deselected, but 60 objects remain selected out in nowhere land.
  • Looking through the items in the Selection Info palette reveal most are "0" length objects (Lines & Polylines) and a Linear Dimension that is <-2147483648'-0"> for a length.
  • Locations for these objects was reported as: X = --2147483648'-0", Y = -2147483648'-0"
  • The selection was deleted
  • Selected "all" once again.
  • Only the site is selected now and the drawing can zoom in and out normally

I have no idea how all those pieces ended up where they did. I've never run across a double minus in a value before, as seen in the X coordinates. I'd post the file, but Andy's file is good.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* August 01, 2012, 10:16:45 AM
You guys are amazing!  Thanks for all of your help.  I have to make sure I never let it happen again.  I can't take the frustration!

* August 01, 2012, 11:16:35 AM
You guys are amazing!  Thanks for all of your help.  I have to make sure I never let it happen again.  I can't take the frustration!

I think it happens to almost everyone now and then despite all our precautions.

Henry H

* August 06, 2012, 07:40:59 PM
How does one rotate the UCS?  Everything is now backwards and any new dimensions are upside down.