TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Mandala in Motion
Read 8057 times
July 06, 2012, 07:26:25 PM
Hey TC Friends,

I know that I said I wouldn't create another TC animation until I got Animation Lab up and running. Well, as it turns out, IMSI tech support hasn't responded to help me resolve the issue, and I just couldn't wait.  Below is a new animation I created for your viewing pleasure.  This animation is a series of 720 unique images of a TC design rotated 1/2 degree per image, rendered, and saved as a .jpeg file.  The series of 720 images is copied and animated 8 times for the duration of the song.  The song is 8 minutes long so please be patient. The YouTube video quality is not as good as my local copy, but there is nothing I can do about that.  I would recommend viewing in full screen mod with good headphones to fully enjoy the experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOO-Pzrp7o&feature=g-upl

David V.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:26:57 PM by David V. »

David V.

July 06, 2012, 07:47:28 PM
This is another amazing animation David and I really like the choice of music. Who would have thought that TurboCAD would be such a good fit for such things?

* July 06, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
That was really good. I felt like I was back in the 60's.  :D

That looks like a lot of work. I thought the YouTube quality was decent at 1080P, though the shadows/shading did seem a bit off at times.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* July 06, 2012, 08:34:24 PM
That was really good. I felt like I was back in the 60's.  :D

That looks like a lot of work. I thought the YouTube quality was decent at 1080P, though the shadows/shading did seem a bit off at times.

Hmm...what part of the 60's do you remember. ???

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 06, 2012, 09:21:12 PM
re: …what part?

I can think of a lot of things. Sitting in art class drawing designs similar to what was in the video. Sneaking into the Worlds Fair night after night. Standing atop a rock crusher in Pleiku, in the middle of the night with a big spotlight above me. A well lit target and no one took advantage. My son was born. Lots of things. ;D

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

July 09, 2012, 01:57:47 AM
I would recommend viewing in full screen mod with good headphones to fully enjoy the experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBT8m7RJ8Bs&feature=plcp

Ah, yes, very relaxing - reminds me of something rather enjoyable, but, I can't share what it is!  :)

Thank you for persevering with production.  There are many functions (mathematical), which would look good, when animated in this way.  It's a real pleasure to see something different being done with TC.  I particularly liked the flashing artifacts in the central area.  Gives a feeling of an energy field running the show.  Very impressive.

I found the best thing, for me, was to download your YouTube file and then run it full screen, using my PC.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:50:05 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

July 09, 2012, 05:22:19 AM
This reminds me of the old DOS screen saver "Dazzle". Great work!

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

July 10, 2012, 05:56:44 PM
To My TC Friends,

Thank you all for the great comments.  I guess since I was born in '62, I must have absorbed the psychedelic 60's vibe into my DNA and showed up in this design :).  I am glad it brought back some nice memories from that era for those of us who lived through it.

To Don Cheke: Thanks for acknowledging the music too.  I find that the song selection helps expand my creativity to turn a design into an animated story.  I like choreographing the images to the song when possible. Although sometimes the image-to-music timing is dumb luck.

To Tim Stewart: I would love to be able to figure out how to animate designs from mathematical functions, but I haven't figured that one out yet (any advice would be welcome).  The artifact you referred to is a mirrored sphere in the center that reflects the movements of the mandala from the inside.  The flashes that you see are purely unplanned happenstance, and I have no idea why they showed up in certain images.  I liked the energy field effect it created too and I liked how it choreographed to the song as well (again, pure coincidence).

Thanks again all!

Peace Out ;D

David V.

David V.

July 29, 2012, 04:28:52 AM
I would love to be able to figure out how to animate designs from mathematical functions, but I haven't figured that one out yet (any advice would be welcome).

Hi David,

well I can only suggest you have a look at Animation Lab and elsewhere for ideas - the subject is simply vast and ranges from the simple line to the complexities of nature, as you can image.  I'm no artist, so am useless when it comes to this sort of thing.  However, I do appreciate the beauty of your work 8)

Take care.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:59:58 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

August 02, 2012, 07:31:00 PM
Thanks again Tim.  I will do some research to try to figure out how to apply math formulas in TC.  The Helicatenoid .gif is awsome.

David

David V.

August 07, 2012, 04:39:11 PM
Wow that is awesome!!...not sure how I didn't catch this before. Agree on the choice of music too!

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

August 09, 2012, 06:05:07 PM
Thanks Dave for the nice reply.  I am glad you liked the animation and the music.  I am not sure if you noticed my other TC animation - "Bluemin' Onion" that you may enjoy as well (See the post directly below the Mandala in Motion post or follow link: http://www.youtube.com/user/AnagoDesign5813/videos). 

I see that you are a TurboCAD Product Manager.  Any advice on how to resolve my Animation Lab dilhemna would be much appreciated (Animation Lab 4.2 that was shipped with TC 16 Deluxe doesn't work).  I emailed IMSI and Tech Support to get AL 4.4, and have yet to receive a response.

Thanks again!

David

David V.

September 27, 2012, 11:51:39 PM
That is really cool David!

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

September 30, 2012, 07:33:40 AM
Thanks for the great feedback Brad. It was a labor of love.  I actually sent the link to the musical artists, David and Steve Gordon to obtain approval to use their music.  I received a positive reply from David and he asked me if I would be interested in producing some more animations for his record label, Sequoia Records (http://www.sequoiarecords.com/).  I was truly honored by the request, but it will be a challenge to create more animations with my current version of TurboCAD 16 Deluxe and Animation Lab not working.  I am hoping to scrape up enough money to look into upgrading to TC19 Professional.  In the mean time, I will keep animating the old fashioned way - one image at a time.

David V.

David V.

September 30, 2012, 07:36:39 AM
Thanks for the great feedback Brad. It was a labor of love.  I actually sent the link to the musical artists, David and Steve Gordon to obtain approval to use their music.  I received a positive reply from David and he asked me if I would be interested in producing some more animations for his record label, Sequoia Records (http://www.sequoiarecords.com/).  I was truly honored by the request, but it will be a challenge to create more animations with my current version of TurboCAD 16 Deluxe and Animation Lab not working.  I am hoping to scrape up enough money to look into upgrading to TC19 Professional.  In the mean time, I will keep animating the old fashioned way - one image at a time.

David V.

Congratulations David, on the request for more animations.

September 30, 2012, 05:55:56 PM

David V.

Wow, that's great. An honor indeed.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* October 03, 2012, 01:26:27 PM
Excellent creations David, a truly amazing  3D work of art, and well worth the time and effort in  my opinion.

Great to see the combination of cad, animation and art working so well together.

Michael Geraghty.

November 02, 2012, 05:26:13 PM
Hi Michael,

I just saw your reply from a month ago, and I greatly appreciate your kind feedback.  I am always checking out your fantastic works on FAA for continued inspiration in my designs. 

David V.

David V.

January 17, 2013, 01:34:34 PM
Hi David V.   We are building up are animation lab showcase.  I would like to have your permission to use this video.

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

January 17, 2013, 05:27:34 PM
Dave,

It would be an honor to have my video included in the animation lab showcase, so, yes you have my permission. 

Thanks,

David

David V.

January 17, 2013, 06:54:50 PM
Superb Dave  :)

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

January 18, 2013, 10:59:49 AM
Thanks Darrel, I am glad you enjoyed it.

David V.

January 18, 2013, 11:04:37 AM
Yeah, great use for TC  :)

I still have issues with my Anilab 5.1 install. It works as far as rendering the image frames but will not compile the video. Montage Center also crashes....

If I get the need to get it working I may have to uninstall TC and AL..... ???

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

January 28, 2013, 12:07:55 PM
I will have to test your montage issue on my end....first I"ve heard of any such issue.
Are you able to send the crash report in when prompted?

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

* January 28, 2013, 04:52:17 PM
For me, montage centre crashes everytime if I try to add or insert a frame, the error says Montage Centre "encountered an improper arguement", it allowed a standard (windows7) crash report to be sent to microsoft, which I did.

Andy
v19 64bit

January 28, 2013, 04:58:57 PM
Thanks  I've reported it to our development team.

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager