TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Add etchings to model
Read 2303 times
* June 14, 2012, 01:57:07 PM
Hi guys,

A while ago, I modeled one of my PC 690 router bases.  This was a good exercise and my first attempt at stretching my drafting fingers with v18 platinum, coming from v16 deluxe.  A lot more fun when you have all the cool tools to work with rather than having to figure out work arounds.  I began to realize how some of you artists can create such amazing drawings, and then I got stuck, trying to figure out how to add some laser etched markings to the collar on the top of the base.  Any ideas how would I go about doing that? 

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* June 14, 2012, 02:27:52 PM
Look over JohnR recommendations can be helpful for your project

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,8306.msg48184.html#msg48184
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:27:10 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* June 14, 2012, 07:41:22 PM
How I'd do it...

In TCad, make a 2D drawing of the markings (white on black). Take a screenshot; paste it into my favorite image editor; crop; save as .jpg, something like the attachment below. Create a new material for the TCad model of the collar, using "Wrapped filtered image" Pattern (with the .jpg as the image) and "Arbitrary Plane" Wrapping.

Here's a link to a tutorial on AP Wrapping:

http://www.cadcourse.com/winston/ImageWrap.html

Henry H
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:11:59 PM by Henry Hubich »

* June 15, 2012, 08:57:50 AM
Thanks guys.

Henry, I suspected something like that might be the answer.  As I am not very familiar with wrapping techniques, I appreciate the link to the tutorial, thanks.  I will have a look over that more when I get some more time.  By the way, I have just been reading your book on Photorealism in TurboCAD, trying to work on the rendering for my logo design that I posted in the gallery.  That is awesome, just what I need to get started with rendering.  That must have been a lot of work.  Again, thank you for all your hard work.

WD, That is great, you make it look so easy.  I actually used that technique to make the notches in that collar, as well as the notches in the handles.  In fact when I read that post the first time, I was intrigued, and drew the compass also just to try the technique.  Of course it didn't look nearly as good as yours. 

A couple of questions though, WD.  Are the markings you did, 2D with the nonrenderable objects turned on?  The other question is how did you get it to follow the curve on the face of the bevel?  That is the thing that got me stumped in the first place.

Thanks

Dan

P.S.  If you're up for a little more of a challenge, if you look closely at the photo you'll see that the markings also continue on the top of the collar which happens to be flat.  For my purposes, I don't need to be that picky though.  Just though it would be interesting to see how that might be done also.

This was a fun little project.  Much easier when you have the object in front of you to take measurements from.

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2

* June 15, 2012, 10:59:11 AM
Hey Dan
I look forward to seeing the finish rendition and hope you post it in the gallery. After working with your design it was very good workable project and see alot thought went behind it to get to the level you did. I got bit confuse when I look over the profiles of the lever not sure how got it to form. Did all three work in tandem to get the shape?

It would be a better idea if done the marking in 2D.But how I did it I made it in 3d and extruded the small rectangle radial copy one at time than the at the required angle of location on 360 circle. Before this step and after extrusion I rotated the rectangular box to conform to the bevel’s surface and added a plain white material. The numerical texts are not extruded but scale down to fit on the surface. I did leave the non-renderable object activated or the numbers would probably not render. This is something to consider when you do it at your end.   

To do it to conform to the face and the bevel would require the rectangular box to have the shape similar obtuse scalene angle and extruded or with bend tool for 3d.To do with 2d probably cutting a sectional section from the 3d would simplify but there more likely a simpler steps to get a 2d shape. It was 2:00am when I did this and was a bit tired so I didn’t follow the jpeg to exact replication. Just wanted share slightly different approach.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* June 15, 2012, 11:58:14 AM
WD,

Thanks.  Adding the markings is pretty much the last thing I planned to do.  I suppose I could work on the motor body itself, but for what I am doing this for I don't have a need for it, maybe later just for fun or something.  I can certainly post in the gallery, although the rendering will pretty much stink as I am not very good with that.  Looking back at the lever profiles just now, kind of confused me too---I can't remember what they all were for.  I do know that I extruded the largest profile and then extruded one of the smaller profiles to subtract from the first extrude.  I also remember I had a little trouble getting the smaller profiles to line up right, so I am thinking that I created the other profiles to try to help with that.  I think one or two may be extras now.

It was 2:00am when I did this and was a bit tired so I didn’t follow the jpeg to exact replication.  I was wondering if some of you guys ever slept.   ;)

I'll come back to this when I get some more time and try these suggestions, then I can post in the gallery if you like.

Thanks for your help

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2

* June 15, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
"Wrapped filtered image" Pattern; "Plastic" Reflectance; "Link to colour" Texture (Amplitude = - 0.003); "Arbitrary plane" Wrapping.

Henry H

* June 15, 2012, 07:19:51 PM
"Wrapped filtered image" Pattern; "Plastic" Reflectance; "Link to colour" Texture (Amplitude = - 0.003); "Arbitrary plane" Wrapping. Henry H
would you be willing to post the tcw.file having hell of time with the settings utilizing the sample image. read over the material for version 9 and tried to set there as well still no joy :-\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:00:51 AM by wd »

* June 15, 2012, 07:38:37 PM
Henry,

absolutely amazing as always.  Looks so real.  Will have to try that later also.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2

* June 15, 2012, 08:14:06 PM
"Wrapped filtered image" Pattern; "Plastic" Reflectance; "Link to colour" Texture (Amplitude = - 0.003); "Arbitrary plane" Wrapping. Henry H
would you be willing to post the tcw.file having hell of time with the settings utilizing the sample image. read over the material for version 9 and tried to set there as well still no joy :-\

Here ya go, WD. And you'd better download the sample image again, 'cuz I had to change it just a tad.

Henry H
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:23:38 PM by Henry Hubich »

* June 16, 2012, 12:13:49 PM
Dan

Well I couldn't pull it off.I guess its why Henry made another collar to have more of a working surface to apply the wrap.To get the image to set jockeying settings around can be laborious.See png.file.Sorry its a bit of challenge it is. Regarding to your prior post  :)

Thanks Henry for the file learn a lot today

W.D.

* June 16, 2012, 02:04:03 PM
Dan

Well I couldn't pull it off.I guess its why Henry made another collar to have more of a working surface to apply the wrap.To get the image to set jockeying settings around can be laborious.See png.file.Sorry its a bit of challenge it is. Regarding to your prior post  :)

Thanks Henry for the file learn a lot today

W.D.

That's about it. I made the image first -- just as an example -- and then had to make the collar proportions to fit. If I'd made the collar first (the right way to do the job), I would have made the image to suit.

Henry H

* June 16, 2012, 09:06:52 PM
Well I couldn't pull it off.  I dunno, looks pretty realistic to me.
Sorry its a bit of challenge it is. Yea, but I figured that was only because I don't know very much about wrapping.  ;)

Thanks Henry for the file learn a lot today  And I thought I was the only student in this post ;D

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2