TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

FM10 Problems
Read 5185 times
* June 14, 2012, 08:53:25 AM
I am sending the following to Milan as problems that should be resolved.

Perhaps others using the package could summarize their problems and maybe we will see resolution in the next release.

FM 10 with TC18.2 -- No Highlight during Generate etc...

Some problems:

1) FM10: During the generate pieces of the cabinet do NOT highlight. Will this be fixed in the next release?

2) FM10: US -- American (Imperial Measurement in inches) install. I installed FM10 on a different machine with the US version. Even on that system the reports are NOT designed for American paper 8.5 X 11" Leagl (8.5 X 14") and Tabloid (11 X 17") etc.  Will this be fixed in the next release? This is a problem in the FM10 templates. Both sets of paper sizes should be available for both sets of templates. I design in Metric -- but must use North American paper.

3) FM10: I am adding doors to a cabinet with multiple drawers and doors. The door is not always recognized as a group. This also happens when I construct drawers.

4) FM10: There is no layer and terminology for drawers. I make cabinets with custom drawers for Routers etc. This allows confusing terminology to develop in DAEX as parts are not clearly identified by source of part -- drawer, main cabinet etc.

5) FM10: If I decide to modify a drawer or a door -- and then I re-group the part it does not always appear in the Generate step as a group. Deleting the object and completely re-creating the object will usually (not always) repair the problem. This additional operation should not be necessary.

6)  DAEX: Many print routines in DAEX still show Czech language -- not English -- as well as European Metric paper sizes.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

June 17, 2012, 06:06:33 AM
I think a major improvement to FM would be to use geometry only when it is needed/requested.

This is something I have wanted for ages  ???

I don't like the method of having the door graphics stored on a hidden layer. If I am designing a kitchen the file size gets massive and really slows to a crawl when changing a door design etc...

The major problem is really when you want to add a new style. All the symbols need to be updated....what a mare that would be  ???

It would be great if it just referenced the graphics utilising Xrefs/Blocks.... these are not stored in the file so it keeps the customer file small. This is how many Design packages work. Articad which uses this method to some degree has really small design files so does not store the graphics in each file. All it needs is the carcass dimensions and custom properties to alter the geometry on file load.....

A graphic replace feature would be of great benefit to many of us that are in the furniture design world. Something I have been trying to work on.

The ideal solution:

1. Create symbols/blocks/parametric symbols all with a single door/drawer front design.
2. Have a method of selecting all doors, or doors individually, ready for replacement. Sometimes we want a glass door, or a special fretted door, on certain cabinets.
3. Then select the door design we want to replace the selected with.
4. All the doors of different sizes take on the selected items dimensions without side slab deformation!

This would be so powerful to have this and if FM could be updated to have this it would be so good....

Dreams can come true??

Daz...
V2016 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition - Build 61.2
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* June 17, 2012, 09:09:20 AM
Did you email this to Milan?

I know they are working on some new versions.

I would like to be able to store the files on my network (easily) and then move to another machine to work when I need to...

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

June 17, 2012, 09:20:21 AM
Will

No, I have not....

You can on my behalf...... this method would make FM a viable add-on to TC for us professionals to use in our day to day designing needs.... obviously everyone would benefit as it would be easier to use.

Turbocad and FM would get loads more sales from our industry and others that need to generate quick designs!

FM is getting there but we need to be able to customise it easily for adding content to existing symbols etc....

Daz...
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 12GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* June 17, 2012, 03:19:31 PM
Darrell:

I just spent the day designing cabinets and testing some ideas.  Maybe it does it now...

WillR

June 17, 2012, 04:00:16 PM
Will

I would be very interested to hear that confirmation from Milan....

Daz...

* June 18, 2012, 05:36:02 AM
Darrell:

I had a good look at this yesterday. The hidden layer thing requirement is a real nuisance -- I agree.

The only way to do it now, is to delete everything in the "Cabinet Door" Layer and replace it with what you want. That (would?) might require a regenerate -- but I don't think so. It is a real nuisance.

A Separate Library (folder) should hold the door styles. Then, all the door styles could be changed from there. A routine using the SDK could do this "relatively" easily. If I had more ambition I would do it myself with Delphi. It would require a naming style which identified general style and door measurements, opening (or door hanging) side etc. and so on.

With good planning the required door styles could be reduced quite significantly and the re-sizing algorithm used for all the doors.

The organization methodology would be as much work as the programming.

That would also require a change to their "Environment" tool which sets a choice of Alder or Pear tree etc.-- which does not seem to work in TC 18.2 FM10 combination -- at least it does not work for me.

I was also looking at the issue that "Corner" cabinets and shelves cannot be re-sized -- without wrecking the geometry of the cabinet. The algorithm to do that is a little tougher, and the cabinet must be identified in such a way that the additional programming recognizes that a specific algorithm must be applied -- but it is not impossible.

Also, storing the information in a proper relational database would help them -- allowing them to use much larger libraries and assemble pieces more easily. However, that is a major change of algorithms and methodology.  Had they taken that approach from the beginning with Interbase (Embedded version for example) -- it would not be that difficult to add the features you want.

Note: Having been a system designer and application architect for many years I will point out that the computing power to make these things easy has only been available for two or three years. I designed lots of systems that worked -- but would work much better now due to computational speed and memory (64 bit) requirements. Perhaps they will rethink their application architecture now. Also -- based on what is not supplied they could also use an algorithms person for some the work.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:46:19 AM by WillR »

WillR

June 18, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
Will

Yes the hidden layer is a pain...... not ideal for a pro user....

I think that door geometry needs to be in a folder of it's own that FM looks at to build the door style options in the form listing....

This way it is easy to add your own content without having to edit the .xml or text files with the new graphics in FM.

The materials are not a major problem. I currently have a material folder kitchen, then have them called Fascia Vertical, Fascia Horizontal, Worktop, handle, plinth, cornice, light pelmet etc.
This method of having one location for these is that you don't have thousands of choices and they are easy to update.... In some instances a door style is only available in one finish so I would create it within the door graphic itself.

I am currently playing around with the parametric option as I think it is possible to have a parametric load another parametric symbol within itself....
A parametric corner unit I think would be easy to do.... :)

To some extent I am like you, I have built a VBA system, with MS Excel as its core, for quotes, invoicing and purchase ordering etc. It is a shame that TC does not have VBA included as I am quite proficient at programming in this... Not got my head around Ruby...Have been playing with AutoLT but early days.....
Yes, I can use excel to drive TC but it is not efficient and now we have 64bit then it is even more problematic... ???

The parametric symbol could be the best solution I can see at the moment unless the FM programmers can improve it for us.....Is that a sixty four thousand dollar question... :P

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:33:12 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz...

* July 01, 2012, 05:10:18 AM
OK Another one for the list.

I get "Index out of Bounds" when using the new labels Milan sent me and were published on this forum.

They work if you use his "standard" parts out of the Assortment (Inventory" -- but if you put in standard North American style sheet goods then when you optimize and print the "C" labels -- you get the error.

WillR