TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

TurboFLOORPLAN AND TCAD
Read 30699 times
* September 13, 2009, 09:37:53 PM
Importing a dxf TurboFLOORPLAN file , results in a 'good start' with organized layers in Design Director. Unfortunately materials still do not import even though TFPlan exports them with the model. I would estimate it would take about 4 hrs to assign all materials, correct items like fascias that are missing and some roof surfaces.

I still believe the speed in creating a TFPLAN model , is worth the effort of 'fixin' stuff in TCAD, if you want to take advantage of adding custom 3D elements and advanced rendering techniques.

1st image roof has more consistant shingles by wrapping in X plane.

Jack Zimmer

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:50:49 PM by Jack Zimmer »

September 14, 2009, 01:20:19 AM
Yes. DXF can be tough to work with if texture maps are involved.

shawndriscoll.blogspot.com
TurboCAD Pro Platinum 16.2

* September 14, 2009, 02:07:17 PM
Found the Fascias  :)

The roof contains two surfaces, one for the 'underside' in case you want the catherdral ceiling look (which also contains the fascias) and another for the roof 'upper surface.

So, dxf import is looking even better. And of course it contains all the 2D layers so you could import and create both a 3D model for rendering and 2D for working drawings. Not as 'easy' as the Floorplan Bridge, but do able.

Jack

* September 14, 2009, 10:51:38 PM
Nice piece of work Jack!

I actually like the balcony as it as a little retro aspect (feel like I would spend afternoon watching traffic or cows depending where it is located).  I wonder if you actually only transferred the model into the DXF file or if you attached the textures to the actual model.  The shingles look better being horizontal  by the way :P
Did you have to use Facet editor to paint every roof part or if you used the material editor and applied an UV Map onto it?

Good to have images back from you.

Stephane Faucher

* September 15, 2009, 05:28:23 AM
Hi Stephane,

How about watching boats  :) this one is on a lake.

Attached is the render from TFPLAN. As you can see the materials were assigned in it and how it looks imported to TCAD in second image.

If I export out of TFPLAN as a 3DS file the program exports all materials into a folder along with the 3DS files but I only get one layer.. A program like Real Time Landscape Pro , will import the model along with all the textures correctly applied.  If I export as dxf I get no materials but many layers.

So, if I export to dxf and import to TCAD, all I need to do is select the Roof layer and then assign materials with UV Map with material editor. The worst material assignment is all the glass in doors and windows. Glass is part of the Window layer so I must create a new layer (Glass) and then select each objects glass surface and assign it to the new Glass layer. Then I just open the 'layers' properties and assign the new material.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:43:23 AM by Jack Zimmer »

September 15, 2009, 01:39:41 PM
When I used to use TurboFLOORPLAN PRO, I kept the designs inside that app.  Chief Architect exports designs as 3DS in parts and includes the texture maps for those parts.  So I'm able now to render my designs in pretty much any 3D app without fuss.

* September 15, 2009, 04:00:37 PM
Hi Shawn,

Are you saying you can import a Chief 3ds file into TurboCAD and retain all textures?

Both TFPlan and Envisioneer export textures with 3ds as I stated before, but TCAD doesn't use them.

Jack

September 15, 2009, 04:40:41 PM
When I get back to the studio I'll import a 3DS house from Chief Architect X1 into TurboCAD Pro 15.2 and see what happens.  I've never rendered in TurboCAD before.

ADDED:
Ok.  This is what I find:

If I export a 3DS house from Chief Architect X1 into TurboCAD Pro 15.2, TCAD chokes and aborts the import.  The model could be above TCAD's vertex or edge limit for 3DS objects?

The 3DS house imports just fine into 3D Canvas Pro and Carrara Pro.  When I exported from both of those programs as OBJ and imported into TCAD, both houses showed up as just a gray material without their textures.  I don't know if there is a setting in TCAD to keep textures during import.

Both OBJ houses import just fine though into my other 3D apps with textures.  But then OBJ is good with keeping textures.

I'm more of a 3D modeler.  So I use TurboCAD Pro as a starting point at times to export IGS and 3DM format from.  I rarely use it to import into.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:32:05 PM by ShawnDriscoll »

* September 15, 2009, 10:16:39 PM
Thanks for checking Shawn,

Import of materials was something I wished for in TCAD a long time ago. VectorWorks for example, does import materials from TFPLAN.

Users of TurboFLOORPLAN can benifit though from an import to TCAD for both rendering and working drawings.

-------------------------

You have some nice models on your website.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:19:25 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 16, 2009, 12:05:10 PM
Shawn,

Can you possibly post the model that crashed v15.2?
If you don't want to post it publicly could you possibly email to me?

September 16, 2009, 05:38:22 PM
Here is the 3DS model that TurboCAD Pro Platinum 15.2 won't open.

http://www.shonner.com/drafts/beach_house.zip

* September 16, 2009, 07:17:19 PM
Hi Shawn,

I don't know how you tried to open the file but it worked for me in v16.

Try : open 'New' file at TCAD start up. Then do Insert / File / set to 3DS ( in ' Setup' command  I uncheck ' Load Key Frame') When open you will most likey not see anything as the scale is off. Select Zoom to Extents.

No material transfer as I suspected.

Nice Beach House !

Jack

September 16, 2009, 07:22:15 PM
Version 16 is a different animal from 15.2 which reports back "Cannot open file".

September 16, 2009, 07:29:50 PM
No material transfer as I suspected.

That would be a nightmare to texture the thing manually.  I'm glad I have other apps though that can open 3DS files with all textures intact and render them.  This is a render in Carrara Pro 5.1.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:40:13 PM by ShawnDriscoll »

* September 16, 2009, 09:17:47 PM
I get Cannot Open file in my 15.2 also.

Texturing isn't too bad, with dxf files and layers. The reason for doing all of this is that some users of TFPLAN like it and it's speed but would also like Working Drawings and possibly better render options (although TFPlan is not bad).

If those users also have TCAD they can spend the extra time required and get both Working Drawings and a second option for Rendering. There are also Building Details that neither Chief or Envisioneer can accomplish, so some use SketchUp for custom import. If you can import the whole model to TCAD , customization can be done within it rather than the other way around.

JZ

* September 16, 2009, 10:09:57 PM
Here is a simple set of screen grabs from Realtime Landscape Pro and your model Shawn.

All textures are applied when import to Realtime. I just set a camera path and hit 'preview' and did some sceen grabs. Just as you use a variety of programs, I've found it necessary to do the same. In the full 'movie render' shadows are more pronounced and trees move along with birds flying. The movie file is too large to post as is.

Simple but affective.

Jack

* September 17, 2009, 09:02:19 PM
I found my example of what can be done TFPLAN and TCAD are used together.

Design Director shows the imported layers from TFP dxf import. All the other 2D drawings are imported from the TFP 3D model. Within TCAD you can generate Page Layouts with title blocks and very nice working drawings.

Jack

* September 19, 2009, 03:43:11 PM
I found it may just be benifical to import a 3DS file to TCAD from TFPLAN.

In TFPLAN I can customize all elements (Windows, Doors , Walls) by  size , style, color etc. If for instance I create a new Wall and change it's 'exterior' and interior surfaces to Colors instead of materials, when imported to TCAD the colors can be accessed with Edit / Select By / Color.

Because your walls contain different colors for Exterior and Interior surfaces, you can select the color for the Ext, create a layer and assign all the exterior wall surfaces to that layer. If I made all window and door glass 'blue' in color, I can then select all the glass in the whole model by the select by color method in TCAD and assign all the glass to it's own layer.

Once all elements have been transferred to thier layers , it is just a matter of changing the layers properties to the desired TCAD materail .

Creating new elements in TFPLAN that are specific to colors for import to TCAD is not very difficult and once they have been created they are always in the TFPLAN Catalog for future use.

Jack

* September 26, 2009, 07:48:52 PM
Jack are you using V 16?

Thanks
Greg

Greg Boheman
version 17.2 Plat.
on Mac book Pro

* September 27, 2009, 08:25:41 AM
Hi Greg,

Yes I'm using v16 Pro but the basic techniques also work in Designer. TFPlan v14.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:29:34 AM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 27, 2009, 12:17:05 PM
How well does the FP 14 work with TC 15.2 pro?

Thanks
Greg

Greg Boheman
version 17.2 Plat.
on Mac book Pro

* September 27, 2009, 05:43:50 PM
Try this zipped dxf file Greg.

Open 'New' file in TCAD 14. Then go to Insert / File and the 'dxf' file type option. Zoom to Extents after opening. Draft render and move around.

Jack

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:18:38 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 27, 2009, 08:41:49 PM
Here is how the zipped file looks textured and rendered in TCAD ... :-)

Jack

* September 30, 2009, 12:04:16 PM
Lovely Jack,

Little question, Is'nt it possible to export in DWG instead DXF from Turbofloorplan?

And do you model also in Turbocad 16?

* September 30, 2009, 01:26:09 PM
Hi Steffan,

Export to dwg isn't available in TFPlan but dxf works just fine for both 2D and 3D work. Remember that the TFPlan model contains both 2D working drawing elements and 3D modeling.

Just like all other work, time is of great importance. I can work in TFPlan for the base model much faster than in TCAD. But TFPlan has it's limitations because it contains no '3D modeling'. So when the need arises for custom 3D work I use TCAD. Obviously the 2D working drawing aspect of TCAD is important because TFPlan has no 'paper space'.

The attached shows TCAD work being done on the imported base model and the finished  product.

Jack

* October 04, 2009, 04:19:47 PM
Could someone test this Windows Live video posting.

It should take you to Sky Drive and double click / should open a new page where double click on image should give option to 'Open' and view the movie.

I'd like to know how the SkyDrive link works for anyone interested in testing it. The movie is work I did for HGTV's Design program which is a step 'below' TurboFloorplan.

http://cid-f40d996c85f74fc2.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/HGTV%20Movie%20Sample

thanks for any comments.

Jack

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 04:25:07 PM by Jack Zimmer »

October 04, 2009, 05:54:50 PM
Could someone test this Windows Live video posting.

It should take you to Sky Drive and double click / should open a new page where double click on image should give option to 'Open' and view the movie.

I'd like to know how the SkyDrive link works for anyone interested in testing it. The movie is work I did for HGTV's Design program which is a step 'below' TurboFloorplan.

http://cid-f40d996c85f74fc2.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/HGTV%20Movie%20Sample

thanks for any comments.

Jack

The link worked fine Jack and the video opened in WMP after downloading. Looks good. Looks like you've been taking care of business.

* October 04, 2009, 10:02:45 PM
re: I'd like to know how the SkyDrive link works for anyone interested in testing it.

When I double-clicked and used "Open", the movie ran fine in Windows Media Player. I did find a discrepancy with the file I found in the Temp folder, it had 2 extensions.

When I single-clicked and used the "Save" option, it saved with a single WMV extension that has an underscore at the end. Movie won't run due to bad extension.

When I used "Save Link As…" from the Local Menu, then I downloaded a proper file.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* October 05, 2009, 06:21:05 AM
thanks Don / John,

I downloaded 'single click / save' option John, and it didn't contain the underscore. I wonder why you got a different result.

At 25GB free storage, MS Live SkyDrive is a nice option for sharing large files.

thanks,

Jack

* October 05, 2009, 10:50:23 AM
re: I wonder why you got a different result?

Probably a quirk with Firefox. I dragged up IE8 and didn't get that problem.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* October 07, 2009, 08:31:45 PM
Seeing how Rob Berry is having an 8th year anniversary of providing excellent materials for TCAD users, I thought I'd repost this Holiday Greetings WMedia file. Some of you may remember when I created it back in 06 , I think.

http://cid-f40d996c85f74fc2.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Holiday%20Greetings?uc=1&nl=1

This is a good example of how a program like TFPlan and TurboCAD can be used together to create some nice 'images'. One particular test was to apply a 'texture' to photo images which I believe allows one to incorporate photos of people without violation of rights of privacy etc.

Congrats Rob on eight years of excellent service to TCAD users !!

Again, if anyone has luck downloading / running the file, I'd be happy to hear how things went for you.

Jack

* October 11, 2009, 09:45:31 AM
Maybe this is best listed under 'Tips' but it is related to TFP and TCAD so I'll post here.

Cadsoft has created BIM free downloads that work with TFPlan. They can be found here.

http://www.green3dhome.com/GoGreen/BIMCatalogs.aspx

Some are 3D objects like those from CFM, Kohler, iLevel , Maytag the others are jpg images that I do not know how to 'extract' from the program for use (files may be 'hidden'). They do have Windows by Anderson and Marvin but I don't know how TCAD can use them other than to cut an opening.

So, one could open the BIM files in TFPlan , insert a tub or fixture or fireplace of choice in the drawing area and then export to TCAD as a 3DS file. Quite a simple way of creating a set of 'symbols' for TCAD Architectural users.

To import  a BIM file to TFPlan, first download the file from the site. Then in TFPlan use File / Catalogs/ Import BIM File and highlight on the right the files to be 'Transfered' to the left. They will now be in your Catalog ready to inserting in Drawing.

To export to TCAD use File / Export/ 3D Model and choose 3DS as file type.

Jack

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:49:03 AM by Jack Zimmer »

* October 13, 2009, 08:02:21 PM
Had to post this roof framing. Just too interesting.

TFPlan has no way to convert framing to members but import to TCAD allows one to weed out extras and resize. The
Green 'X' is the side I started adjusting framing on.

Curved roof set to bowed Arch on sides, rear is low pitched Hip, Front is Dutch gable, hip + gable.

Z

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:05:16 PM by Jack Zimmer »

October 13, 2009, 08:34:43 PM

TFPlan has no way to convert framing to members but import to TCAD allows one to weed out extras and resize. The

Curved roof set to bowed Arch on sides, rear is low pitched Hip, Front is Dutch gable, hip + gable.

Z

This roof is very cool. It looks like the beginnings of a model Star Trek starship.

* October 14, 2009, 06:38:55 AM
Nice roof!!

Are you building this somewhere close (SE Wisc) or is this another Hawaii project?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* October 14, 2009, 09:28:48 AM

Z

What an interesting design!

Henry H

* October 14, 2009, 04:41:45 PM
Hi Don, in fact I named it 'the flying roof' but 'the Enterprise' sounds better.

Hi John, I wish it was being built, maybe in my backyard. I've been busy for the last year with my folks aging problems, remodeling thier home to get it up for sale (sold in one week , closed Sept 24th, got lucky) and then ending up in the hospital myself :-( So, hopefully now I can get back in the swing of things. This whole thread is a start, I guess.

Hi Henry,

Glad you like it. You may be interested in doing something with Girih.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mayathelma/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/medieval.islamic.archetecture.quasicrystals.girih.tiles-r.tennant.pdf

I bet you could come up with some interesting layouts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I cut an openings on the sides of a Vaulted roof, I get spires at the corners.  This is how it looks framed and copied. (man this is a pain trying to type when you can't see the words .)

Jack

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:47:14 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* October 15, 2009, 08:00:00 PM
Still playing around. This roof shape I call 'Belly of the Beast'.

Roofs in TFPlan 'curve' when you curve a wall that they are attached to.

So, I created an Octagon shape, added a 'arched roof' so it looked like a compound pitched 'turret roof'. Then curved two opposite walls outward and two inward.

Jack

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:03:35 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* October 16, 2009, 09:14:01 AM
Still playing around. This roof shape I call 'Belly of the Beast'.

Roofs in TFPlan 'curve' when you curve a wall that they are attached to.

So, I created an Octagon shape, added a 'arched roof' so it looked like a compound pitched 'turret roof'. Then curved two opposite walls outward and two inward.

Jack

Having a ball with that, aren't you, Jack :-)

Henry H

* October 16, 2009, 11:14:25 PM
Hi Henry,

Having a ball with that, aren't you, Jack :-)

As Oliver Hardy would say, 'I certainly am !'   (or Stan ?)

Sure beats trying to get results with Nurbs and pressure points.

Here are two merged Octagons with hip roofs. I call it 'Battle of the Bulges', as it has a number of curves and each must match it's counterpart. Could have named it 'Moth Man' vs Bat Man based on the underside framing appearance.

Jack

* October 17, 2009, 05:51:22 AM

Z

What an interesting design!

Henry H

²

As for the entire topic.
Stunning roof designs,Jack

* October 19, 2009, 12:22:38 PM
thanks Stefaan, but just about anyone with patience can generate these shapes with the TFPlan roof tool.

Todays standards in Engineering would supply completely different framing but the basic shapes and combinations are quite 'do-able'.
Calatrava has been succesful building similar shapes, in fact 'Guillemins Railway Station' is similar to the first low pitch Hip with Dutch Gable front I posted.

Here is link to the Milwaukee Art Museum images of Calatrava's work.

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS293US293&q=milwaukee+art+museum&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=cbvcSo2IDZL-MeL1qKIE&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCkQsAQwAw

I would probably just use one of the local Grain Storage engineers :-)
Jack

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:28:12 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* December 12, 2009, 09:00:37 AM
Not too bad of a comparision between computer vs real world.

I worked with David Frost of NH (White House Construction) on this project. My help was mainly restricted to getting the finishing 'touches' on the model and working drawings refinements. As with all 3D programs, there are just so many things that you as a builder have time to learn and seeking 'outside' help becomes a time saver. I worked with David on a number of revisions, generating the roofs and changes that came about as the 3D model neared completion.

I've find that in almost every case, having a 3D model envokes changes BEFORE work begins. Using the model , even after permits are issued to make subtle but important changes during construction is also important. Some changes in this model were raising the framed window openings on the bsmt level of the octagon, which allowed for adding a stone veneer below them. Upper gable 'round' window was raised closer to the peak to allow for the horizontal trim.

David sent me this photo of work under construction.

Z

* December 14, 2009, 10:14:37 AM
Thats fantastic Jack and a great house too.

December 14, 2009, 10:35:08 AM
Fascinating stuff Jack.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1