TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Aux' lines in snaps: Unable to get 'em
Read 5805 times
June 06, 2012, 05:35:22 PM
Ver 16 Pro Platinum
Wireframe. World Plan

I was able to get them just yesterday,  but now I can't.

Trying to snap to an apparent intersection I have snap modes on for: Vertex, Intersection, Apparent Intersection, and Extended Ortho.
I've even  tried  progressively turning the snaps on  until they were all on and  then just  one at a time.

The ones that should produce the aux lines are   Apparent Intersection and Extended Ortho

The example is a  poly line that you can see in the picture.
It’s  supposed to generate  dotted auxiliary lines that will describe the apparent intersections on an orthonagle layout so that I  can snap to the apparent intersection.

In Drawing aids dialog box  "Always Show Auxiliary Lines" is checked and so is  "Show Magnetic Points and Auxiliary Lines"

But it’s not happening.
Any ideas?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:44:21 PM by Raul »

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

* June 07, 2012, 02:16:40 AM
Do you have layer 0 turned off? If so... that can cause the problem you describe.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 07, 2012, 06:36:14 AM
Do you have layer 0 turned off? If so... that can cause the problem you describe.

Layer 0 is "visible" is that what you mean by "off or on"?  I can only have one layer at a time set as "active."   In the drawing  screen shot above  I am actually using layer 0 to  draw on
Below is one where I have all the same settings but am on layer 1 with layer 0 on and still no joy.
Below that is my drawing aids dialog box

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:12:05 AM by Raul »

June 07, 2012, 08:03:41 AM
I gave up.
I uninstalled TC and reinstalled it.
Every thing is as it should be now.

What struck me as weird was when I switched user and logged on as Administrator the program was running just fine.  Plus it was not set to any of the set up options I'd established like all the drawing tools etc in my fly out menu

I suspect that I probably introduced a glytch when I was switching  from drawing to  Customize to Popup Tools to  the  Drawing Aids Snap dialog  and  back again whilst trying out all the various options combinations.
As I  was doing this I locked the system up  some number of times and had to shut the program down and restart it.  The the" User introduced Glytch" theory is the best I got.   But I'm open to suggestions.

Either that or my spastic dyslexic  keyboarding got the better of me and I hit some combination of hot keys unknowingly

Anyway it's all good now. Mommy is home, I got a candy bar, and cartoons are on.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:05:44 AM by Raul »

* June 07, 2012, 08:18:29 AM
Sounds like the ini file got corrupt. After you get TC setup the way you want... you should backup the ini and cfg files. That way... when (and it will) TC becomes corrupt again.... you can restore it back as you like it.

If you don't setup TC in a particular way... then the next time this happens (and it will)... all you need to do is shutdown TC, delete the cfg file, and restart.... that should cure the problem... but you do lose customizations you've made to TC if you don't have a backup.

Probably should have suggested this before...  :(

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 07, 2012, 06:23:38 PM
Sounds like the ini file got corrupt. After you get TC setup the way you want... you should backup the ini and cfg files.

Where do I find these files and how does one restore them once I make a back up?  Simple delete and replace?

* June 07, 2012, 09:14:20 PM
re: Where do I find these files and how does one restore them…

If using Vista or Windows 7, look for the "TCW16_xml.ini" file in the hidden folder:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\16\Professional\Profiles\Built-in
When I get the program (i.e. TCExplorer and other System settings) set up the way I want, I shut down, then place a copy of "TCW16_xml.ini" in the "Profiles" folder (just above "Built-in"). When necessary, I can copy-n-replace the file in the Built-in folder. I don't have any files in the "Config" sub-folder found at this location.

Custom Workspace files (*.xcfg and *.xml) for v16 are found at: C:\Users\your user name\Documents\TurboCAD 16\Config. I've never found it necessary to save a copy of those, as they're normally not touched in a reinstall.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* June 08, 2012, 04:01:02 AM
re: Where do I find these files and how does one restore them…

If using Vista or Windows 7, look for the "TCW16_xml.ini" file in the hidden folder:
C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\16\Professional\Profiles\Built-in
When I get the program (i.e. TCExplorer and other System settings) set up the way I want, I shut down, then place a copy of "TCW16_xml.ini" in the "Profiles" folder (just above "Built-in"). When necessary, I can copy-n-replace the file in the Built-in folder. I don't have any files in the "Config" sub-folder found at this location.

Custom Workspace files (*.xcfg and *.xml) for v16 are found at: C:\Users\your user name\Documents\TurboCAD 16\Config. I've never found it necessary to save a copy of those, as they're normally not touched in a reinstall.

Nice to have in case you format or lose your hard drive to a crash or use TC on more than one computer... and parts of the cfg can be used in the next version or two.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 08, 2012, 09:53:03 AM
r[...] Windows 7, look for the "TCW16_xml.ini" file in the hidden folder:

Thanks for that.
I don't have a file named  "TW16_xml.ini"
I have three configuration settings files
Might mine be TCW16_xml ??

Do you know whether it might be a wise thing to simply back up and restore them all if the system goes haywire?

Here is what I have

* June 08, 2012, 10:12:07 AM
See John's post above.

1. See the path that John indicates to find the folder in which the ini file is located.

2. The folder may be hidden... you need to make it unhidden.

3. According to your screen shot... you need to show all file extensions for the files... so you need to turn this on in Windows to be able to do that. You need to go to Windows folder options... and un-check "Hide extensions for known file types". That is also where you file the option to un-hide the folders.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 08, 2012, 11:04:18 AM
My files are not hidden

* June 08, 2012, 11:15:08 AM
According to the screen shot you provided... the known file extensions are hidden.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:17:07 AM by GregT »

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* June 08, 2012, 12:28:14 PM
The TCW16_xml (.ini) file and the desktop18.ist files are the ones you want to backup. If you turn on what I mentioned above... you will be able to see the ini extension on the TCW16_xml file.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 08, 2012, 12:35:51 PM
got it
 thx

* June 08, 2012, 02:43:30 PM
re: Nice to have in case you format or lose your hard drive to a crash…

That's plausible, though I haven't reformatted or replaced a hard drive in the past 10 years. When I used to use normal slow drives (5400 or 7200 rpm), TurboCAD could kill them in a year or two. Nowadays, I stick with 15,000 rpm drives.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* June 08, 2012, 03:08:13 PM
I restore a drive image every few months or so... formats and replaces Windows and my everyday programs that I use. Takes about 10 minutes... and I have a nice, fresh installation of Windows and programs. However... TurboCAD is not one of those programs that gets restored, since we use betas a lot of the time.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

June 09, 2012, 01:14:09 PM
r When I used to use normal slow drives (5400 or 7200 rpm), TurboCAD could kill them in a year or two. Nowadays, I stick with 15,000 rpm drives.

'Splain me please.
How does it matter the speed of the drive and what does the  software do that is so rough on 'em?

* June 11, 2012, 05:24:44 AM
re: What was so rough on them?

Back in the old days, during rendering, it didn't take long before I ran through the RAM and went to the harddrive. If I'm going to be bogged down in the harddrive, I might as well get something faster than normal.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

June 11, 2012, 07:23:58 AM
didn't take long before I ran through the RAM and went to the harddrive.

I see. So it was the access  frequency  and the subsequent heat that was rough on the drives.

Aside from just having more RAM,  what does the drive  disk rotational speed do that contributes to longer life?  Or is the faster rotation just better for speedier rendering?

I wonder if  in-put/out-put frequency intensity would be solved more completely by using an STEC solid state hard drive.   Too bad they are still so spendy.
OCZ has a terabyte  at 920 MBps for around $350 Dunno about it's life span.   Prolly sucks.
There is also the possibility of using a  Flash SSD to act as a RAM like accelerator. I've read this can make a laptop enormously  faster.

And in the ridiculous column for the  nut bag trust fund  survivalist, Victronox has a 1 TB SSD in a pocketknife for a lousy Three-Gees.
http://www.gizmag.com/1tb-ssd-swiss-army-knife/21136/
Worth it at twice the price?

* June 11, 2012, 07:03:13 PM
To me, it seemed liked everything moved faster. Solid state drives will probably be in the next computer, 5-10 years down the road, but I'm pretty happy with my current Workstation setup.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit