TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Turbocadcam Polylines and polyarcs
Read 1995 times
* June 05, 2012, 10:31:51 AM
I have been using TC since V4  and am using V 14 now.    When drawing arcs or eliptical arcs, TC uses Polyline instead of Polyarcs!.   If you zoom in on the arc it is never a smooth arc it is just line segments. so when you are cutting them on a cnc router what you see is what you get and if cutting text it is really bad. Just type the letter O  then select it and in propertys select flexable to get ride of the fill and then zoom in on it and you will see what I mean!!! so what I have to do to make a smooth cut is use the spline tool and the vertex snap tool and trace overtop of the arc Snaping to the end of each polyline with a diferent color and then select by color and make a part file that way. This is a real pain and if you have a large file it takes forever.  Then if you have to make any changes such as extending one side of the "now" spline or offsetting it there are always issues. so then I usually have to start over.  Does anyone have a better way of doing this?     I started with tc and still like using it, except for this problem and would hate to start to learn a new cad program but i might have to.....

* June 05, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
I use an alternative I use Verdana Font and machine with 1/16 ball mill 1/32 deep and pocket mill by opening the properties dialog and set the thickness -.032 in Aluminum.I set the Acis to custom with one degree for normal tolerance,I used two point light,one ambient,I put profiles & text on layers and hide them,The text is set to the flexible mode,I have few screen shots to look over you'll see the degree of smoothness in the close up.This file is around 4mb.   

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

June 05, 2012, 06:19:24 PM
V19.1 just came out with this tool. Not sure how that will help you, but perhaps it is worth the upgrade.

June 06, 2012, 01:15:19 PM
But sill waiting on the v19 CAM plugin. I wonder if I make a drawing & do a polyarc conversion, then save as v18.2 file format, will v18.2 have any issues with the file. Just thinking out loud. I will test this and get back on it.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||