TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Bluemin' Onion Animation
Read 4511 times
June 04, 2012, 06:29:25 PM
Hey TC Masters,

It's been a while since my last post but I do have a lot of new designs that I will be posting in the near future.  I wanted to share an animation I created using TurboCAD 16 Deluxe, but the file is too big to post :(, so please use the link below to view.  It is a set of concentric hyperbolic structures that are copied and rotated to create the animation.  I included some falling spheres of water to enhance the show.  It is a series of 1,748 jpeg files created by changing the design 1 degree at a time and saving to a jpeg file. The animation is set to music using Windows Live Movie Make.  I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnagoDesign5813?feature=guide

Thanks,

David

David V.

June 04, 2012, 07:01:19 PM
David, this is totally awesome. Wow!!!

Great music too.

June 04, 2012, 07:15:37 PM
Thanks Don.  It was an exercise in patience, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

David V.

June 06, 2012, 03:40:58 AM
Hi David.

This is just fantastic.

I hope you will give us some more information how you did it.

Kai Sannes
www.TurboCAD.no

Kai Sannes, DAKnor. Norwegain TurboCAD seller and instructor.
Laptop Acer Aspire VN7-793G
GeForce GTX1060, 6Gb,Core i7-7700HQ,16GB RAM,256GB PCIe SSD,1TB HDD,W10 Home
17.3" Full HD matt

June 06, 2012, 04:40:57 PM
Hey Kai,

Thanks for the nice feedback. 

I created the initial object (the object that appears in the last frame before the ending credits) and I made copies of the object and rotated each copy 1 degree at a time.  Sometimes the rotations would be on the x-axis of each object, and sometimes the y-axis.  The 'bloom' illusion is made by setting 12 copies of the object in a circular pattern, and then rotating each object inward one degree at a time until each object completed a full 360-degree inward rotation.  The growing and sinking sphere was made in a similar fashion, except, instead of rotating the sphere object, I just enlarged it by .1 inch in each frame until it grew to 2-inches in size.  When the sphere reached the maximum size, I 'dropped' it by .1inch along the z-axis to make it look like it was being sucked into the blooming objects. I set the sphere object to 'water' material to give it a water-drop effect.   

After I completed each 1-degree rotation of the objects (with or without the sphere), I would save the render as a new jpeg file. In the end, I had 1,748 jpegs files that were imported into Windows Live Movie Maker to create the animation.  I hope this makes sense.

I really enjoyed making this movie, but it was so time consuming that it may be a while before attempting something so ambitious again.

David V.

David V.

June 09, 2012, 09:51:03 AM
Great animation David!

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

June 09, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
David, stunning work, wonderful!

But, boy, are you a masochist?  Life is too short to spend this amount of effort on something that you can let your PC do for you, while you are asleep, or doing something more useful ;)

Programmes like Animation Lab. (that's a plug), are made to take the drudgery out of this work.  Treat yourself, and then allow us to see what else you can do, without you becoming a slave to your keyboard and mouse!  Animation Lab. will generate all the images you require, but use something else for assembling anything >2GB.  I would guess your work was originally considerably larger than this.

I am sure you are aware of this, but, it will do no harm to repeat it here.  Capturing, or using too many images/second may be counterproductive, because the resources available for rendering the animation, may produce a slightly jerky image, which might improve with fewer images.  It's a balance between quality and smoothness.  Anyway, just a thought.

I hope you will get cracking with something else, when you can find the time.  Thank you for sharing.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:53:11 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

June 11, 2012, 06:25:46 PM
Thanks Brad!

David V.

June 11, 2012, 06:32:43 PM
Thanks Tim.  And yes, it must seem like I am a masochist now that you reminded me of Animation Lab.  I remember having problems installing it last year with my new computer, and to tell you the truth, I completely forgot about it.  I never learned the tool with prior versions of TC, so I will still need to get over the learning curve.  But I appreciate the support.  I have one question though - if you don't suffer during the creative process, is it really art? :)

Anyway, I may reach out to you for some advice when I get Animation Lab reinstalled.  I feel a new animation in my near future.

Thanks much!

David V.

June 12, 2012, 01:40:56 AM
I have one question though - if you don't suffer during the creative process, is it really art? :)

Ah!, well, as I see it, some art is in avoiding the suffering, as much as possible, during the realisation process.
That's probably why I suffered the learning curve of TC and Animation Lab. and can now sit back and let them do the work for me - if you see what I mean.  The creative process is another matter!

Anyway, I may reach out to you for some advice when I get Animation Lab reinstalled.  I feel a new animation in my near future.

We're here to help ???

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

June 12, 2012, 06:23:24 PM
Thanks Tim.  I was really anxious to follow your suggestion about AL.  I uninstalled, reinstalled several times last night to no avail.  I am still missing the AL palette in TC.  Now I remember why I haven't tried using it since last year.  Anyway, I sent an email to SoftDev tech support, and researched this issue in the forums and realized that I need to request a free AL 4.4 download from IMSI (AL 4.2 was shipped with my TC software).  I then followed up with an email to IMSI for this request and I am waiting for a response.  I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way until IMSI sends me the upgrade.  I will keep you posted.

David

David V.