TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Bluemin' Onion Animation
Read 4066 times
June 04, 2012, 06:29:25 PM
Hey TC Masters,

It's been a while since my last post but I do have a lot of new designs that I will be posting in the near future.  I wanted to share an animation I created using TurboCAD 16 Deluxe, but the file is too big to post :(, so please use the link below to view.  It is a set of concentric hyperbolic structures that are copied and rotated to create the animation.  I included some falling spheres of water to enhance the show.  It is a series of 1,748 jpeg files created by changing the design 1 degree at a time and saving to a jpeg file. The animation is set to music using Windows Live Movie Make.  I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnagoDesign5813?feature=guide

Thanks,

David

David V.

June 04, 2012, 07:01:19 PM
David, this is totally awesome. Wow!!!

Great music too.

June 04, 2012, 07:15:37 PM
Thanks Don.  It was an exercise in patience, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

David V.

June 06, 2012, 03:40:58 AM
Hi David.

This is just fantastic.

I hope you will give us some more information how you did it.

Kai Sannes
www.TurboCAD.no

Kai Sannes, DAKnor. Norwegain TurboCAD seller and instructor.
Laptop Acer Aspire VN7-793G
GeForce GTX1060, 6Gb,Core i7-7700HQ,16GB RAM,256GB PCIe SSD,1TB HDD,W10 Home
17.3" Full HD matt

June 06, 2012, 04:40:57 PM
Hey Kai,

Thanks for the nice feedback. 

I created the initial object (the object that appears in the last frame before the ending credits) and I made copies of the object and rotated each copy 1 degree at a time.  Sometimes the rotations would be on the x-axis of each object, and sometimes the y-axis.  The 'bloom' illusion is made by setting 12 copies of the object in a circular pattern, and then rotating each object inward one degree at a time until each object completed a full 360-degree inward rotation.  The growing and sinking sphere was made in a similar fashion, except, instead of rotating the sphere object, I just enlarged it by .1 inch in each frame until it grew to 2-inches in size.  When the sphere reached the maximum size, I 'dropped' it by .1inch along the z-axis to make it look like it was being sucked into the blooming objects. I set the sphere object to 'water' material to give it a water-drop effect.   

After I completed each 1-degree rotation of the objects (with or without the sphere), I would save the render as a new jpeg file. In the end, I had 1,748 jpegs files that were imported into Windows Live Movie Maker to create the animation.  I hope this makes sense.

I really enjoyed making this movie, but it was so time consuming that it may be a while before attempting something so ambitious again.

David V.

David V.

June 09, 2012, 09:51:03 AM
Great animation David!

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

June 09, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
David, stunning work, wonderful!

But, boy, are you a masochist?  Life is too short to spend this amount of effort on something that you can let your PC do for you, while you are asleep, or doing something more useful ;)

Programmes like Animation Lab. (that's a plug), are made to take the drudgery out of this work.  Treat yourself, and then allow us to see what else you can do, without you becoming a slave to your keyboard and mouse!  Animation Lab. will generate all the images you require, but use something else for assembling anything >2GB.  I would guess your work was originally considerably larger than this.

I am sure you are aware of this, but, it will do no harm to repeat it here.  Capturing, or using too many images/second may be counterproductive, because the resources available for rendering the animation, may produce a slightly jerky image, which might improve with fewer images.  It's a balance between quality and smoothness.  Anyway, just a thought.

I hope you will get cracking with something else, when you can find the time.  Thank you for sharing.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:53:11 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

June 11, 2012, 06:25:46 PM
Thanks Brad!

David V.

June 11, 2012, 06:32:43 PM
Thanks Tim.  And yes, it must seem like I am a masochist now that you reminded me of Animation Lab.  I remember having problems installing it last year with my new computer, and to tell you the truth, I completely forgot about it.  I never learned the tool with prior versions of TC, so I will still need to get over the learning curve.  But I appreciate the support.  I have one question though - if you don't suffer during the creative process, is it really art? :)

Anyway, I may reach out to you for some advice when I get Animation Lab reinstalled.  I feel a new animation in my near future.

Thanks much!

David V.

June 12, 2012, 01:40:56 AM
I have one question though - if you don't suffer during the creative process, is it really art? :)

Ah!, well, as I see it, some art is in avoiding the suffering, as much as possible, during the realisation process.
That's probably why I suffered the learning curve of TC and Animation Lab. and can now sit back and let them do the work for me - if you see what I mean.  The creative process is another matter!

Anyway, I may reach out to you for some advice when I get Animation Lab reinstalled.  I feel a new animation in my near future.

We're here to help ???

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

June 12, 2012, 06:23:24 PM
Thanks Tim.  I was really anxious to follow your suggestion about AL.  I uninstalled, reinstalled several times last night to no avail.  I am still missing the AL palette in TC.  Now I remember why I haven't tried using it since last year.  Anyway, I sent an email to SoftDev tech support, and researched this issue in the forums and realized that I need to request a free AL 4.4 download from IMSI (AL 4.2 was shipped with my TC software).  I then followed up with an email to IMSI for this request and I am waiting for a response.  I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way until IMSI sends me the upgrade.  I will keep you posted.

David

David V.