TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

What brand of computer is best suited to run TC 19 pro plat.
Read 4734 times
* April 20, 2012, 06:26:15 AM
Is there any particular brand of computer on which TC runs better and should I run 32 bit or 64 bit?

* April 20, 2012, 06:53:08 AM
I have had the best luck building my own out of quality components.

Asus Motherboards, Fastest 8 core processor I can buy, 6Gb per sec drives , Fast ATI or NVidia display cards, etc. Memory is Cheap now so 16GByte is best.

Generally I am now using the AMD versions ASUS M5A97(EVO) motherboards, AMD Buldoxer FX series 8 core 1300 memory, ATI display cards -- dual precision when I have the budget. You can overclock to 4.2 GHz if you are the type that likes to fly exposed -- otherwise use as-is at up to 3.8 GHz.

http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A99X_EVO/

http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/

Just find a local dealer that will supply the quality components -- without the junk components. Some reflexively sell you  the cheap stuff -- for two reasons -- one to make money -- second because they believe that if they can offer the lowest price you will buy from them -- like a typical consumer.

When I initially installed our Mapping and CAD systems I went to every major name brand and look ed at every high end system. They were all compromised to meet price points. I don't think much has changed.

Case with lots of cooling and for Video display, 24" monitors or larger.

Windows 7 64 bit -- ultimate if you need networking and language issues dealt with -- but at least the Pro version. The OEM version is about $190-$229.

Blue Ray DVD writers are cheap now -- so are memory card (SD etc) interfaces.

Add an extra USB cable to take the internal ports to the back, add parallel or serial ports if you have specialty equipment.

Most of the name brand stuff is built for general office use and is quite slow.

I am sure others have differing opinions.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:59:46 AM by WillR »

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

April 20, 2012, 09:03:05 AM
I'd suggest that you put the most money into the monitors.  You'll be a lot more productive with a lot of real estate on the screen, no matter how slow the computer.
I use a Del 30" ultra-sharp along with a generic 27" for auxiliary stuff - it's interesting noticing the different colors, incidentally.  I put TCAD on the 30", and Firefox and whatever else like Excel on the 27".
The computer is now a couple of years old, quad core 3.2GHz with 8G I think, using a pretty fast nVidia video card.  It is a gaming computer made by Gateway and I must say I have been very pleased with it.  Being two years old it is of course hopelessly obsolete...

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

* April 20, 2012, 05:46:15 PM
I use a laptop that's got an external PCI-E graphics dock for the sort of screenery that Roland recommends, although the graphics dock's just plugged into a 30" HD LED consumer TV.  It uses a midrange desktop graphics card that, in this configuration, gives around the same graphics performance as a respectable gameable mobile, giving 2560 x 1600 res that can be arranged through two HDMI and two VGA outputs as well as the PC's screen.   Apart from the (hot pluggable/unpluggable) graphics versatility, the PC itself is nothing to write home about:  a compact 14"-screen-in-a-thin-bezel 13" chassis, SU7300 CULV now three Intel generations old, but 8Gb RAM and around 5 hours battery, but 32/64 bit dual boot and only weighs 1.4kg, cost less than $500 and runs TC without a sweat.  TC also runs faster on my windows tablet, which is 64-bit netbook-spec 1 GHz AMD processor/graphics chip and 4Gb RAM, than it used to on an old Dell with a 2.4GHz/1Gb Celeron.  My usage is for designs that might have up to a couple of hundred features per part, but I try to minimise dependencies and work in subassemblies to keep part counts down where possible.  With that usage, I don't think I was going to be banging on the engine-room door demanding more power than 32-bit could give me, but I also wanted 64-bit rendering advantage.  I'll probably stick with 32-bit until I'm confident that 64-bit's just going to work the same, but faster.

* April 20, 2012, 10:06:40 PM
To answer the OP's question I would say whatever brand you choose should have a video card supported by RedDSK.  This I think would be very important to get the most out of the software.  I would also recommend a 64bit machine running Windows 64bit.  I would as earlier recommended get at least 12GB of RAM and get at least a Quadcore with as much horsepower as you are willing to spend for.

Johnny

TurboCAD v19 Platinum - 64bit
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
Intel i7 - x980 (3.33 GHz 6 duo-core)
12GB RAM, ATI 5570 w/1GB VRAM, 2TB 7200rpm HDD

Fast but not the fastest...

April 21, 2012, 06:10:55 AM
Why quadcore? Does TC use all cores?

Rudl

* April 21, 2012, 03:42:37 PM
Multi core is nice especially when using cpu intensive processing.  (ie Rendering)  I usually keep TC from using CPU 0 and leave that to my OS.  When TC is churning away.  Nothing else is held back and works as if TurboCAD is not even running.   A duo Core would help but in this day an age, why?  Single core, never.

Johnny

TurboCAD v19 Platinum - 64bit
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
Intel i7 - x980 (3.33 GHz 6 duo-core)
12GB RAM, ATI 5570 w/1GB VRAM, 2TB 7200rpm HDD

Fast but not the fastest...

* April 21, 2012, 04:41:59 PM
In case anyone wants to build their own computer or compare cpu speeds here is a good link that compares them.  Mine is way down on the list.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* April 21, 2012, 05:38:48 PM
In response to the OP, I'd give another vote for the "build-your-own" recommendation. May seem somewhat daunting at first - but after assembling a dozen or so over the past few years, I can say it's not that difficult... mostly fun (and expensive).

The past few units I've put together use Intel stuff: i7-930 (overclocked with water cooling) to ~3.3GHz on a DX58SO motherboard, nVidia 470 2G ram, 6G (or more) ram, Win 7 64bit, WD vRaptor drives.

Also, as was mentioned in a previous response; go for the bigger, faster, monitors - two here... a 24" 1920x1200 & a 20" 1680x1050.

Keep in mind that the "specs" for a good CAD system aren't all that different from those for a gaming computer. If running a laptop (notebook), I have the Asus G53SX-DH71 - really nice computer... and may be all you need.

Hope this helps.

Larry
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:29:59 PM by Larry »

TurboCad user since PS v1.2
v24.0.26.3 Pro Plat x64
WIN10 x64 w/16G Mem. nVidia GTX1080(s)

* April 23, 2012, 06:11:41 AM
Thank you to everyone for the helpful advice!