TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

A basic "Delphi XE2 Starter" example req'd
Read 3577 times
* April 03, 2012, 03:34:38 PM
After many years of not doing very much programming, I have invested in the Delphi XE2 Starter edition, and am keen to see a few basic examples of it's application with the Turbocad  V18 SDK. I have tried a couple of the old examples, however there seems to be a change in Delphi code in relation to the emptyparam value in the IMSIGX_TLB with the latest versions of Delphi.

Any assistance , even with a basic example would be appreciated.

Mike Geraghty.

* April 10, 2012, 09:05:17 AM
Hi Mike,

I haven't dipped my toes into Delphi for a few months. Where are you having problems? Code snippet of the offending line(s) would be helpful, as would the contents of your "uses" clauses.

Kevan

* April 13, 2012, 01:26:46 PM
Hello Kevan, I tried some of the old examples out, and found out that I had to change the emptyparam olevariant value's to a variable in the IMSIGX_TLB file, but since then have tried the latest examples in the Turbocad V18 SDK examples folder, and found that the IMSIGX_TLB in that folder has been updated to a version that does not use emptyparam.

I managed to get some of the examples working, so in the next week or so will delve further. The Delphi XE2 starter is quite a good buy, plus as a bonus, I received C++ starter free. Lots to brush up on after about 6 years since last I used it, but I now have some database functionality with interbase , plus being able to create active X and custom components.

One off hand question which is a separate matter, do you know if it is possible for a plugin or addon/tool to start when the program is first run?. Reason for the question, if a routine loaded at start of a drawing, then it would be possible to put a date or time stamp in the file automatically,  along with setting drawing parameters and a number of other routines that would be handy to start automatically on load.

I am going green at present, setting up a veggie patch in the garden, but in the next week or so will be eager to see what I can do with my new software.

Regards
              Mike Geraghty.

* May 08, 2012, 07:56:47 AM
Delphi (and most other programming languages for that matter) doesn't allow "optional" arguments to be omitted, and requires that you have something for every argument to a function. EmptyParam is just the Delphi version of a "throwaway" OLE Variant variable that you can use for optional arguments.

I am attaching a Delphi XE2 version of the old Flange application that you and I began with -- hopefully the examples there will help you on your way. Note that for some reason this doesn't work properly (at least on my system) if RedSDK is enabled -- you'll need to switch to GDI in the Native Draw options.

Regards,

Kevan

* May 10, 2012, 08:07:35 AM
Delphi (and most other programming languages for that matter) doesn't allow "optional" arguments to be omitted, and requires that you have something for every argument to a function. EmptyParam is just the Delphi version of a "throwaway" OLE Variant variable that you can use for optional arguments.

I am attaching a Delphi XE2 version of the old Flange application that you and I began with -- hopefully the examples there will help you on your way. Note that for some reason this doesn't work properly (at least on my system) if RedSDK is enabled -- you'll need to switch to GDI in the Native Draw options.

Regards,

Kevan

Only just spotted this posting Kevan, and have given it a try out, it works just perfect. What I can do now is work on the routine to load the flange tables.

Many thanks for your example, it is invaluable.

Regards Mike Geraghty.