TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

What happened to the Forum?
Read 5051 times
* September 03, 2009, 11:18:25 PM
Hi Dave,

What happened to the Forum? I couldn't get on to this site or the Wiki site for the past 24 hours. Now that it's back up, I see the past 2 weeks worth of postings are gone. Was this the work of the spammers that have been attempting to post their virus links?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* September 04, 2009, 01:12:05 AM
Odd.
You're commenting about this forum and not the old one?
Here in UK I've experienced no interruptions in service .

EDIT. Oh dear, yours was the first post I looked at, but I've since realized that you are right. Two weeks worth of postings have just vanished. But I didn't notice any disruption.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:18:42 AM by lemel_man »

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* September 04, 2009, 01:26:53 AM
Hi John

I experience the same problem last night East coast time.I get a dialog in Firefox that website took to long and time out.  Maybe server needed a mini power nap. Some times this happen in old forum as well.Truly some explanation is warranted.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:29:12 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 04, 2009, 03:37:03 AM
I also have had the same problem a couple of times in the last month, last night being one of them. Servers do go down from time to time, but if a system is subject to a virus attack, you need to know as soon as possible of the onset of the problem. If we had a security group within the administrators , who would be contacted  by email and not through the Forum as soon as they start to experience problems, then you could flag up an alert as soon as possible , and reduce the effects of any infection of the system. If the system goes down , and you try to contact people through the system that is having problems, then you are not going to get very far. Do you have any comments on this possibility ??.

* September 04, 2009, 05:49:41 AM
I check the forum every day and haven't noticed a problem with accessibility. It was OK yesterday, for example.
I didn't notice any problem until I tried looking at other

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

September 04, 2009, 05:54:50 AM
I noticed it was down yesterday and emailed Rip right ways to let him know. It was down for quite some time and it is disheartening to see that many postings are missing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:02:10 AM by Don Cheke »

* September 04, 2009, 06:35:40 AM
I checked the Turbo Blog web link .Yup it still up and running I figure there would be posting of some sorts there with some explanation but it seems that its been up dated this month with an Animation Video.Anybody else experience any anomalys??
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:34:40 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* September 04, 2009, 08:12:34 AM
I tried to get on throughout the night starting in the early evening Central Time 'til past midnight.
Yes posts are gone...and so was my registration today!...I had not visited TurboCAD forums in some time, so  last week I had to register, the old forum still had my password though.

The server must have took a god hit, virus or not, but the obvious problem here is that the administartion is not doing daily backups of a HIGHLY important feature of TurboCAD, which is this FORUM.  They should be subscribing to an offsite automatic online backup service such as Carbonite or SOS!!  Apparently the last backup was on the 20th...likely a manual backup too.  Very poor maintenance....

TC ver16.2 Platinum, About says "Full Edition"

* September 04, 2009, 08:47:32 AM
We had a catastrophic hardware failure with our forum server, rebuild it and revert to a backup of the forum a little earlier in the day.

We lost a number of posts and user registrations between the time of the daily backup and around 3:30 PM PST.

Sorry about that.

Mauritz
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:52:18 AM by Mauritz Botha »

* September 04, 2009, 08:58:23 AM
Apparently the last backup was on the 20th...likely a manual backup too. 

I see what you mean. We take regular full backups followed by daily incremental backups that was supposed to get all the information back. We're looking into it.

* September 04, 2009, 09:12:14 AM
Here's my last post in case you missed it.  Holes on a curved surface.

John B.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:28:39 PM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* September 04, 2009, 09:21:38 AM
Thanks Mauritz
for keep us updated its appreciated.Some us out here are concern about the forum its valuable source of support :)

W.D.

September 04, 2009, 09:58:19 AM
We had a catastrophic hardware failure with our forum server, rebuild it and revert to a backup of the forum a little earlier in the day.

We lost a number of posts and user registrations between the time of the daily backup and around 3:30 PM PST.

Sorry about that.

Mauritz

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Mauritz - much appreciated.

* September 04, 2009, 10:28:27 AM
Sorry about that.
Mauritz

Thanks for the info Mauritz. The Wiki site was also affected. All the "SDK" work that Kevan had entered in the last 2 weeks is gone.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* September 04, 2009, 10:36:40 AM
Was the path of the NEW forum included in the daily backups?

No RAID mirroring? Two or three non-recoverable drives going down at the same time is unlikely.

And the two afformentioned online backup services are very inexpensive and a great method of recovery in case of breakins, fire, virii, etc..regardless if you RAID or not.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:42:44 AM by ot »

TC ver16.2 Platinum, About says "Full Edition"

* September 04, 2009, 05:27:09 PM

Sorry about that.

Mauritz

I wonder if you could downsize the announcement. It eats up a significant fraction of my screen space.

"We had a catastrophic hardware failure on our server and some posts were lost.
"We are trying to restore the posts between 8/20 and yesterday."

Henry H

* September 04, 2009, 06:48:07 PM

I wonder if you could downsize the announcement. It eats up a significant fraction of my screen space.

Hold the Control key and turn the mouse wheel.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* September 04, 2009, 07:28:37 PM

Hold the Control key and turn the mouse wheel.

John B.

That resizes everything. Not what I want.

Henry h