TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

TurboCAD 12 opening in multiple windows
Read 1982 times
* August 19, 2009, 09:03:26 PM
Forgive me if this is a simple fix but I know nothing about TurboCAD.  I've got a user who is using V12 Delux.  She is complaining that every time she opens a drawing it opens a new window. If she opens 6 drawings then TurboCAD opens in 6 separate windows. 

Is there a fix for this?

August 19, 2009, 09:21:30 PM
It sounds like she is getting six instances of TurboCAD running. If this is the case, perhaps suggest that she open TurboCAD first and then open the files from within the program. I did check opening files by double clicking a file name outside TurboCAD and it opens in TurboCAD. Double clicking any other file outside the program, open in the same running instance of TurboCAD, so there is definitely something wrong with her system. Don't know what to suggest to remedy it. Someone else might chime in.

* August 20, 2009, 10:15:56 AM
What operating system is she using?
What method does she use to open the drawing?

I have experienced her problems in Vista when double-clicking a TCW in Windows Explorer. Since I changed some "Compatibility" settings for TurboCAD, drawings now open in one instance of TurboCAD. You can access this dialog by right-clicking any shortcut for TurboCAD.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 20, 2009, 11:01:35 AM
If she opens 6 drawings then TurboCAD opens in 6 separate windows. 

If she opens the drawings from TurboCAD, using File|Open, then each drawing will indeed have its own window. If this is undesirable, an alternative is to open just one drawing from TCad and then insert the others into this first drawing. (Use Insert|File for this purpose.)

If she opens the drawings from outside of TurboCAD -- from Windows Explorer, for example -- then each drawing is likely have its own instance of TCad running. This is not a good situation, because it's a severe drain on system resources and because the different copies can interfere with one another and raise havoc.

Henry H