TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Fun with HDRI
Read 4636 times
August 17, 2009, 10:23:43 AM
This a really nice feature for adding environmental lighting and very easy to do.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

* August 17, 2009, 10:52:43 AM
Looks like fun, Dave. Thanks for the tip.

Henry H

August 17, 2009, 11:47:01 AM
That is superb.

What is the background image?
I never did figure out how to use HDRI, and the light probe is way beyond my meagre understanding.

Regards
Dave

Dave C
TC Pro V14.2 - TC 21 Platinum 64 Bit Build 22.3
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

www.ipernity.com/fizzyfitz

* August 17, 2009, 07:56:07 PM
Very nice. I like the glass objects. Your dialog pictures alludes that you used an edited version of the "House Outside" Environment, but I can't get an environment any wheres close to what you show. How did you do it and what image did you use in the environment?

How long did the render take?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

August 18, 2009, 08:55:11 AM
John you busted me...yes i did modify the existing House Outside (actually I just forgot to rename)
in terms of I simply used a different image.  I had just one pulled from the internet so I will not share...I also did have to change one or 2 setting I think slightly.    Anyway I am inlcluding the TCW file so that you all can see the rest of the settings.  Just add whatever file you want for the light probe under environment. 
Part of the reason I did this was becasue I could never HDRI myself....but I am amazed at how easy it turned out to make use of.

Rendering time took about 35 [email protected]  as a 1680x1024 BMP on my machine which is probably slightly above average horsepower. 
I had to then compress it as a JPG to post it on the forum as it was a little bit too large to post.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:03:17 AM by Dave Taylor »

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

August 18, 2009, 09:07:21 AM
    Anyway I am including the TCW file so that you all can see the rest of the settings.  Just add whatever file you want for the light probe under environment. 
Part of the reason I did this was because I could never HDRI myself....but I am amazed at how easy it turned out to make use of.

Thanks for posting the file but I'm guessing that it is in TC 16 format.
I was unable to open it, but I will figure out the light probe at some point.

Regards

Dave

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

August 18, 2009, 10:08:19 AM
You will need 16.1 build 47.5 the current build.

what version do you have... i can try to save it backwardly for you....

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

* August 18, 2009, 10:26:15 AM
DT, thanks for the file. It wasn't that hard to find "Autumn Leaves" through Google. I don't know if the purist's would call this HDRI. You're using a JPG image and not a HDR image. You're also using normal lights instead of a Luminance that works with an HDRI Environment. Other than those minor issues, it does render beautifully. It looks like you just went with the default settings, but I bumped them up. ACIS — Draft to Quality, Render — Full to Raytrace Full, edited the Point lights parameters, etc. It took about 35 minutes to render here. It might've gone faster if I wouldn't futz with it mid-stream. :-))

Dave C - One of the materials that Dave T created uses the XRay Transparency which is not found in earlier versions of TurboCAD.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

August 18, 2009, 10:32:37 AM
You are correct on all accounts again John....as mentioned before I had no luck whatsoever even getting HDRI to work...it was very frustrating.
I will look for some true HDRI files beyond those that ship with th program...

Also for any of you not in the know Lightworks does have a user's site which you may find interesting...

http://www.lightworks-user.com/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:53:34 AM by Dave Taylor »

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

August 18, 2009, 11:53:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
In regards to version, mine is V14 Pro Mechanical.

Regards

Dave

Dave C
Intel i-4770K 3.5GHz
120GB ssd 2TB hd
16GB memory
64bit Windows 7 Pro

December 02, 2009, 08:02:39 AM
Dave,

As part of the "presents" I got for the TC Challenge competition, I just received Brad Easterday's first release of SoftBox HDRI that is specifically designed for TC/Lightworks. It's a nice program that allows manipulation of HDRI environments and luminance. It even allows the user to orient the lighting correctly relative to the canned views and provides exporting to various versions of TC/Lightworks. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but have so far not had any problems arise with the interaction of SoftBox and TC in all versions. You might want to take a look at it if you haven't done so already.

Ken

Ken Friend

Intel® Core™ i5
12GB
GeForce GT 720 1GB
Windows 10