TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Symbol library for common fasateners, bolts and nuts etc
Read 9950 times
* February 13, 2012, 07:19:51 AM
I would like to download a free symbol library of common bolts, nuts, hex cap screws, allen cap screws etc. Does anyone have a reference to one?
Hugh

February 15, 2012, 12:45:25 PM
Sadly not to my knowledge.

All these things were invented long before CAD so nobody has any incentive to put out a CAD drawing of them.

I'd suggest you get your McMaster-Carr catalog and your Machinery's handbook and start at it, using the thread tool in TCAD.  The former tells you all about the size of the various heads, the latter all about the various threads.

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

February 15, 2012, 02:10:02 PM
I would like to download a free symbol library of common bolts, nuts, hex cap screws, allen cap screws etc. Does anyone have a reference to one?
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

2D or 3D?  Do a web search.  You'll find many examples, for "free" or, for a fee.

I would suggest, as it has been my own experience, that you might be better creating your own selection, as suggested by Roland.
It's a good way to learn, and, is very quick, once you've got the hang of it.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* February 16, 2012, 03:58:15 AM
The "Symbol" CD that used to be included with the program had some in the British section under Fasteners; also Isometric. These are 2D.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

February 16, 2012, 07:09:46 AM
You could also look here: http://www.tracepartsonline.net , where you also can be lucky and download the part in TurboCAD file format.

A huge library with parts for many industries!

Thanks!
Best regards,
Lars
www.lm-illustration.dk

(TurboCAD PRO PLATINUM v2018 64bit)

* February 16, 2012, 10:24:40 AM
Hugh
Hi all,
Been lurking for awhile (how long has TC had a forum?) and just wanted to jump in.
For the common fasteners McMaster has become my library of choice. They have cad models for all the common stuff, the quality is tops (i.e. use blocks!!) and very constant. Their website catalog is amazingly well organized. I was able to drill down to a #8 - 1" pan head sheet metal screw, download the cad drawing, load it in TC and was examining the render in 65 seconds.
Check it out:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/90184a273/=g9y2aj
Mitch

* February 16, 2012, 01:27:20 PM
Hugh
Hi all,
Been lurking for awhile (how long has TC had a forum?) and just wanted to jump in.
For the common fasteners McMaster has become my library of choice. They have cad models for all the common stuff, the quality is tops (i.e. use blocks!!) and very constant. Their website catalog is amazingly well organized. I was able to drill down to a #8 - 1" pan head sheet metal screw, download the cad drawing, load it in TC and was examining the render in 65 seconds.
Check it out:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/90184a273/=g9y2aj
Mitch

Excellent. Thanks, Mitch.

...They're a good company to buy stuff from, too, in my experience.

Henry H

* February 18, 2012, 10:51:10 AM

...They're a good company to buy stuff from, too, in my experience.

Henry H
[/quote]

Yup,
Two clicks and the brown truck is pulling up in front of my house in 2 days (one day if I've been good)!
Small confession here:
I respond to the sound of the brown truck coming to rapid stop in front of my house the same way my cats respond to the sound of a can opener.
Makes my day!!
Mitch

February 20, 2012, 04:47:40 PM
My company buys a lot of stuff from McMaster-Carr - They ALWAYS have it in stock, and they ALWAYS get it here the next day - unless it's later today.
They are an incredibly well-run company.

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

February 23, 2012, 09:10:42 AM
Fastenal also has CAD drawings of most of their fasteners.

Brian Yates
TCPro plat v18.2
TCPro plat 2016
Windows 10
GeForce GTX 950