TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Help with wood grain
Read 1276 times
* January 08, 2012, 08:58:27 PM
Hi from Australia once again.
Just getting my head round 3D modelling with Tcad before I move on to Furniture maker 10. I can now draw basic cabinets , drawers etc.

My next stumbling block is getting my woodgrain that I  apply to actualy look like
wood. Could anyone please help with this? What settings do you people use?

Should I take the cabinets into Furniture maker before applying materials?
Are the woodgrain settings the same in FM10 than in TCad. Is there a procedure
I should be following to draw efficiently.

Please don't just advise me to watch the videos, we all know about the problems
with these at present. I find the help I usualy get from these forums very helpful.
Looking forward to your advice.  Thanks  John.

* January 08, 2012, 09:48:28 PM
Just getting my head round 3D modelling with Tcad before I move on to Furniture maker 10. I can now draw basic cabinets , drawers etc.

My next stumbling block is getting my woodgrain that I  apply to actualy look like

Please don't just advise me to watch the videos, we all know about the problems
with these at present
. I find the help I usually get from these forums very helpful.
Looking forward to your advice.  Thanks  John.

You really should ask these questions in the FM10 forum. Maybe it should be moved. I don't normally look for these questions here. ..and likely Milan will not either and he is doing his best to help...

So, If you are going to use FM10 -- then assign materials from within FM10.

To be absolutely clear. Make no attempt to use TC18 to assign the materials and edging. Do this within FM10.

The following assumes that you are using sheet goods and will "clip on" edging as appropriate. If it is solid material -- only that part will change.

Hopefully everything is on layers the same way FM10 does it... Edging on the edging layer, shelf on its' layer etc. If you did not do that, complete the task before the following step. If you are not sure what to name the layers then you should have used the FM10 template... If you did not use an FM10 Template -- start a new drawing from a template. Copy the entire cabinet into the new drawing and save it. Note: Use the FM10 template closest to the style of cabinet -- Office or Kitchen

Assign each piece to the correct layer. This should be obvious. (Maybe? I hope?)  ::)

Then you select the entire cabinet, use the FM10 Generate button (first one)... You may have to assign it to a group. (A couple of times I had to Group, then un-group then group again before TC18 caught on that I really did know what I was doing - maybe.)

(Yes that video does show him making a piece of edging as a rectangular box and clipping it on a shelf edge...)

Then you click the Elements button.

Now you can assign materials, grain direction and choose which edging material you will assign. The program figures out what you edged as I recall.

Later when you run the orders and optimization you match the chosen material to the Stock (Assortment) or Inventory -- ... yes they really did call the inventory the "Assortment". Even if it really should have been called Raw Goods (material) Inventory.

Plus there is no "finished goods" inventory, nor is there and intermediate "parts" inventory where you can hold ready made components.

It really is a custom, single order, "Job Shop" package. This is not a flaw -- but can make life difficult for a shop that holds cabinet pieces to assemble in many styles.

Unfortunately cabinet making is both process (cutting of parts to size) manufacturing and assembly manufacturing (using pre-built components)...

Let me know if you understand this much and the moderators really should move this to the FM10 forum. Otherwise it will get lost in the river of threads that is this general forum.

And yes -- once you understand the above -- the "video" on how to make a custom cabinet will make complete sense. Really!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:56:56 PM by WillR »

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* January 08, 2012, 10:00:17 PM

My next stumbling block is getting my woodgrain that I  apply to actualy look like

Check out this link

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2423.msg13034.html#msg13034

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 09, 2012, 02:24:40 AM
Thanks Willr.
I will give it a try.
Maybe the moderators would replace this post into
FM10 forum for a bit more exposure, this could maybe help
other FM10 newbies.
Thanks John.