TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Deleting a part of a Boolean Operation
Read 2465 times
* January 08, 2012, 10:02:15 AM
If I have a vertical pipe and another pipe at a 45 degree angle and the 2 pipes intersect. How can I delete the part of the 45 that is inside the vertical pipe?

I have tried the Boolean add and subtract, but both operations leave the inside piece.

TIA

* January 08, 2012, 10:41:04 AM
A few ways come to mind without seeing the drawing.

1. You may be able to use the Facet Editor to select and delete the inside piece.

2. You can remove/slice off the piece before you do a Boolean.

3. You can try doing a Boolean Subtract, using the "Don't remove the subtrahend" option.

If you could post the file... and/or a jpg showing what you're wanting... that would help. Without seeing exactly what you're after... it's hard to give a more definite solution.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* January 08, 2012, 08:34:48 PM
If I have a vertical pipe and another pipe at a 45 degree angle and the 2 pipes intersect. How can I delete the part of the 45 that is inside the vertical pipe?

I have tried the Boolean add and subtract, but both operations leave the inside piece.

TIA

Explode the result, which will separate the inside piece from the rest, then delete the unwanted part.

Henry H

* January 08, 2012, 08:55:09 PM
I have attached the file (I think).

I tried the Boolean subtract as indicated and that did not work.

The slice feature requires a plane or multiple points and the intersection of the pipes is irregular.

The facet editor for my original file is more complicated and resulted in a myriad of points to be moved.

Exploding the original did not isolate the inside section.  Continued explosion also resulted too many lines to work with.

* January 08, 2012, 09:32:48 PM
I tried the Boolean subtract as indicated and that did not work.

The facet editor for my original file is more complicated and resulted in a myriad of points to be moved.

Exploding the original did not isolate the inside section.  Continued explosion also resulted too many lines to work with.

Maybe the attached file will help with your problem.

Cheers,

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 09, 2012, 02:17:15 PM
To do this, don't make any holes in the two cylinders; leave them solid. Add them together. Use the Quick Pull or the Imprint tool to extract the hole sections from the profiles.

I used the Facet Edit tool to select and delete the 'interior' surfaces of these pipes. I had to delete the Subtraction node from the Part Tree for the one pipe, then delete the interior.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:19:45 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* January 10, 2012, 09:16:04 AM
Don,

I guess I tried to oversimplify my problem by using the 2 intersecting pipes as an example.

The vertical pipe was actually formed by rotating an elongated box while the oblique pipe was constructed by sweep (or rail sweep, not sure since one works with shelling while the other doesn't.  Don't understand why).

I can reproduce your example, but when I use a rotated box, I get similar results to my original problem.  (I have to say that TC17.2 does act quirky when I do sweeps or rail sweeps!)

John,

Haven't tried your approach yet, but will shortly.

Thanks to all for the responses thus far.

* January 10, 2012, 11:09:09 AM

I guess I tried to oversimplify my problem by using the 2 intersecting pipes as an example.

Could you restate the problem?

Henry H

* January 14, 2012, 07:39:38 AM
You could create a solid cylinder inside the main pipe and subtract it from the 45deg pipe.