TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Chamfering
Read 2944 times
* January 13, 2012, 08:28:15 AM
TC v16. Threaded nuts have one or both ends of the hexagon chamfered, usually at an angle of 30° and reaching across the nut face(s) to form a circle whose diameter is a little less than the across flats dimension. This means that at the across flat position there is hardly a chamfer whilst across the corners there is a substantial chamfer. Using the usual TC chamfer tools provides each flat with a discrete chamfer that is not pictorially correct. Is there a tool or an easy way to produce the correct representation?  One way I suppose would be to call up a standard nut from the library or one of the free models that are around and then scale to suit but that will not work for special modifications to the ends of hexagon (polygonal prism) extrusions.

January 13, 2012, 09:13:20 AM
Use the  AddOns| Special Tools| Insert| Thread3D. I think this is what you are looking for.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* January 13, 2012, 09:25:41 AM
TC v16. Threaded nuts have one or both ends of the hexagon chamfered, usually at an angle of 30° and reaching across the nut face(s) to form a circle whose diameter is a little less than the across flats dimension. This means that at the across flat position there is hardly a chamfer whilst across the corners there is a substantial chamfer. Using the usual TC chamfer tools provides each flat with a discrete chamfer that is not pictorially correct. Is there a tool or an easy way to produce the correct representation?  One way I suppose would be to call up a standard nut from the library or one of the free models that are around and then scale to suit but that will not work for special modifications to the ends of hexagon (polygonal prism) extrusions.

There's no tool to do it automatically, and I don't know any really easy way. One technique is to Revolve a couple of triangular Polylines about the axis of the nut and then 3D-Subtract the result from the hex prism. See attached illustration.

Henry H

January 13, 2012, 10:53:19 AM
Yeah Henry, that is the only way to have control over it. The Threa3D tool does not let you manipulate the chamfer.

BTW Henry, nice looking "machined" brass nut.  :)

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* January 13, 2012, 11:27:47 AM
Henry, that is exactly what I want. Thanks.