TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

New to Cam and need alot of help getting going
Read 6412 times
* December 28, 2011, 02:24:31 PM
I am new to the Cam and need to get things rolling for my company. I pretty much need to know how to set the cam up for my machine. And also how to generate the g codes to run on it. All help is welcomed. Thanks

* December 28, 2011, 04:24:36 PM
Realistically the thing to do research up the software packages to suit your needs, contact sales department and see what they can do for your shop environment. You’re not giving much information on what you’re doing as far turning, milling, router table work, etc. If you’re interested in Turbocad & Cam plug-in I suggest you down load the trail versions and come to forum and address your concerns. Ken usually jumps in and possibly help with your needs. Another good idea to get handle on g-code is read some articles from other end users here in the forum there are plenty of sample g-codes files and images available.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:17:01 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* December 29, 2011, 04:21:40 AM
I am doing routing on ciruit boards. We have already purchased the cam software. I have figured out some of the things on it. I just have not figured out how to set the cam up for our router. And how to generate the gcodes to transfer them to it. The bad part about it is that the router is a Ubunto system. The format of the files will have to be in NGC.

* December 29, 2011, 06:38:34 AM
The file name may have to be renamed to txt,NC,Tap,In the sample image may offer some suggestions there is a chapter for loading g code in the manual if IMSI provided one
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:49:09 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* December 29, 2011, 06:41:28 AM
Thank you. That just helped me out a lot.

* December 29, 2011, 07:01:21 AM
Not sure how its going to perform on ubuntu system since TC is a Windows,Mac base still could run into more issues later. :-\

December 29, 2011, 04:42:06 PM
Is the .NCG file a text file? You should be able to change the file extension when you are saving the G-Code.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* December 30, 2011, 06:44:31 AM
yes it is a text file. What you gave me was great. I was able to get most of it set up. And I was even able to get the code wrote and saved liked I needed. It was only missing one thing though. For some reason I did not have the feed rates in the code. Other then that, you helped out a lot.

* January 09, 2012, 09:49:40 AM
I am having problems being able to set drill paths. I was able to do it once. but now it will not let me. I keep getting told that there is no snap node. I have checked all my settings for the snaps. I do have the center snap on. But it is not picking it up. Could this be a software bug? i have tried to get help through tech support. I keep seeming to get no where. I can not even get a response back from them.

January 09, 2012, 10:38:39 AM
Make sure you dont have any snaps diabled from the local menu. Could you upload your .tcw file so it could be looked at.

TurboCAD user since v3

* January 09, 2012, 12:57:11 PM
I made sure that the all the snaps were on.

January 09, 2012, 01:11:40 PM
I had no problems creating a drill path with your file. You may want to turn off your grid. Also try turning off all snaps except for the one you are wanting to use, Center. Or you can turn off all snaps & use the local (right click) menu & choose the Center snap before clicking on each circle.

TurboCAD user since v3

* January 09, 2012, 01:18:21 PM
I tried that. If you had no problem doing it, then it is leading to my laptop might be the problem. Looking over the system requirements, is it suggested to use a 64 bit system? I am running Vista. But the laptop is still a 32 bit system.

* January 10, 2012, 10:00:40 AM
Are there any users of this sofware near Monroe Oh that will be willing for me to come in and help me learn this?

January 10, 2012, 11:13:11 AM
Do oyu have access to another pc you can install your software on & see if you have the same issues. You could create another user account on your laptop & disable services & programs not needed while running TCC.

TurboCAD user since v3

* January 10, 2012, 12:05:22 PM
I have several. I did figure out what was going on. My boss wants me to see if there is anyone that is willing to give me a few classes. We would even pay for them. I did notice that you are in Memphis TN. I will be coming by there soon. I have to go to OK to repair a machine. I could stop there on the way back if you are interested.

January 10, 2012, 12:21:44 PM
Absolutely. Just let me know when you will be heading this way.

TurboCAD user since v3

* January 10, 2012, 12:29:22 PM
I will and thank you alot. It will be more like the end of the week. Or Monday. I will let you know ahead of time.

* January 10, 2012, 12:35:17 PM
How much will you charge? That way I can make a check or be billed. Whitch ever you would like.